Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by Legion1979 »

So wait, a kid singing a cute song during the opening credits in a Godzilla movie made for KIDS is somehow more offensive than the pimp and cop scene? I'm sorry no.

Who came up with that scene anyway? "Hey, let's get a black guy and dress him up like a pimp, another black guy can be a dirty bum and some white guy can be a cop. We'll add a bunch of curses and then, when Rodan shows up, their hats can fly up in the air with goofy sound effects! That's what every Godzilla fan wants to see!!" Sure they had to redub the dialogue to remove the curses, but that only makes it worse.

That whole scene is far more offensive than the song from Revenge, which was just par for the course when it came to Japanese kids shows and movies from that era.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:Sure they had to redub the dialogue to remove the curses, but that only makes it worse.
I was under the impression it was a joke about TV safe dubbings of American cinema.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

^Nope. They had to dub the curses out. It wasn't a joke.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:^Nope. They had to dub the curses out. It wasn't a joke.
lol Legion gave me a serious response.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Legion1979 wrote:So wait, a kid singing a cute song during the opening credits in a Godzilla movie made for KIDS is somehow more offensive than the pimp and cop scene? I'm sorry no.

Who came up with that scene anyway? "Hey, let's get a black guy and dress him up like a pimp, another black guy can be a dirty bum and some white guy can be a cop. We'll add a bunch of curses and then, when Rodan shows up, their hats can fly up in the air with goofy sound effects! That's what every Godzilla fan wants to see!!" Sure they had to redub the dialogue to remove the curses, but that only makes it worse.

That whole scene is far more offensive than the song from Revenge, which was just par for the course when it came to Japanese kids shows and movies from that era.
Not saying that Ichiro sing is offensive at all, just saying it is a worse scene to watch. You didn't say the most offensive scene, just the worst. I also think any of the US Military scenes from "Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah" are worse as well. Maybe not as offensive but very hard to watch.

What is more offensive is the opening to Gigantis the Fire Monster, but that wasn't Toho.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

szmigiel wrote:What is more offensive is the opening to Gigantis the Fire Monster, but that wasn't Toho.
But it's true, though. Japan just is a little nation of farmers and fishermen!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Well yeah the American military scene from GvsKG is really f@cling awful in execution, but the concept was sound. What were they thinking with the pimp and cop crap???

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Legion1979 wrote:Well yeah the American military scene from GvsKG is really f@cling awful in execution, but the concept was sound. What were they thinking with the pimp and cop crap???
The pimp and cop bit is just so bizzare. It's hard to tell if it was meant to be funny or serious.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:Well yeah the American military scene from GvsKG is really f@cling awful in execution
Kent Gilbert's camp gay performance is splendid though.
It's hard to tell if it was meant to be funny or serious.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Well yeah the American military scene from GvsKG is really f@cling awful in execution, but the concept was sound. What were they thinking with the pimp and cop crap???
The pimp and cop bit is just so bizzare. It's hard to tell if it was meant to be funny or serious.
I find the same to be true about pretty much the whole movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Legion1979 wrote:What were they thinking with the pimp and cop crap???
While not Toho, there are plenty of racist stereotypes in anime and manga that make pimp and cop look tame.
And again not Toho but the Skips and Mudflips are worst racist stereotypes in Transformers 2.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

There's nothing 'offensive' about Godzilla's Revenge... unless you have some beef with the ending, and even then it depends on how much you look into it/care. Not saying you can't like it more or less than FW, just that it isn't 'offensive'.

I'm not offended at all by the New York scene (though it could be taken badly by some, I'm sure), but it is really stupid and another example of how off-balance the movie is. It doesn't have a point, it isn't all that funny (beyond cringe), and a typical gasping crowd shot could have filled the air way better.
We're supposed to take things at least somewhat seriously (what with all the super-cool matrix shots and x-treme characters), but there's still goofy side notes like that scene or the volleyball fight. You can definitely have a bit of both, but the way it was done in FW made it stick out in a weird, unpolished way.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

szmigiel wrote: the silly bum from Return of Godzilla screen time was.
You say that as if he wasn't supposed to be silly. Sorry that it (apparently) bothers you as much as it does.
It is funny because your argument for the bum can be applied to the pimp and cop scene; it is just a little comic relief before the daikaiju destruction.
Obviously. The entire point of my argument is that it's worse than the bum, or more "excruciating", if you'd prefer.
The fights in GFW are more dynamic and better choreographed, both human and daikaiju. Yes there was some sillier elements to some of the daikaiju fights; the tossing of Kumonga, and the three against one that turns into a soccer match.
I should have specified that the choreography of the human vs. mutant fights are what I was talking about. I really don't mind anthropomorphic behavior from Godzilla, as it just reminds me of the '70s Godzilla, which I adore, however, with that said, the kaiju battles in GFW just leave you very unsatisfied, 9 times out of 10.
szmigiel wrote: Not saying that Ichiro sing is offensive at all, just saying it is a worse scene to watch. You didn't say the most offensive scene, just the worst.

I don't think I'd call a montage of stock footage during the film's introduction a "scene". Poor choices of words on your part.
Last edited by Goji on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Technical Trivia: The big fight montage occupies a single reel (Reel #5)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Here's my thing with this movie. When it comes down to the Godzilla scenes, I don't mind it. But to me, this was kind of a tease. I remember being 14, going on Godzilla forums and seeing all the build up of all the characters. Then, when the movie hits, you get like... 30 seconds per character and see Godzilla just walk through them. Not to mention that there's like 20 minutes of Godzilla in this movie. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like that Godzilla's a super badass and all, but I was hoping to see more of these monsters. I remember people saying that this could be a new Destroy All Monsters, and while I find that movie fairly overrated, the attack on Tokyo and Ghidorah battle was pretty sick. Now, with that said, I do think that the final fight between Godzilla and Keizer Ghidorah is pretty cool. My gripe with this movie is that the director, who is like a very very very very veeeeery poor man's Quentin Tarantino (without the writing and directing skills), tried WAY too hard to turn this into an action/live action anime movie. I didn't care for all the human fighting, and Gigan and Mothra flying around fighting as if they were characters from Dragonball Z or something. That all just took me out of the movie. Don't get me wrong, the idea behind the movie is cool, and I like the concept, but I think it was just poorly executed. I don't watch Godzilla movies to see an action sci fi between mutants and aliens, I watch Godzilla movies for Godzilla and other monsters. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I would put in "The Raid" or something. So, I don't necessarily hate it, but it just didn't hit the right note with me. I actually find most of the movie pretty boring.

But as a long time MMA and Kickboxing fan, and a hardcore follower of PrideFC and K-1 (when they were alive), it was awesome to see guys like Masakazu Funaki, Don Frye, Gary Goodridge, and Ray Sefo in here.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

This film is horrid.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I think I've said it before, but this film makes about a thousand times more sense after seeing clips of Kitamura's Versus.

Kitamura's influences are Japanese chanbara films and Hong Kong-styled action. His influences are cheesy, they're over-the-top, they're full of Hollywood riffs simultaneously genuine and tongue-in-cheek. They're about as filmicly genre as they come.

And that's a totally valid, even joyful, form of cult filmmaking. Those asking if the film is meant to be silly or serious: It's both; it's of a school of Asian filmmaking that doesn't care to differentiate in its celebration of genre-influenced action.

Final Wars is simply Godzilla-by-way-of-1970 transferred into Kitamura's style. As a genre experiment in an anthology series, I can enjoy it on that level, even if it's not normally my cup of tea. It just shouldn't have been presented as a 50th anniversary franchise finale, and that Toho thought it could breakthrough to any kind of mainstream success in the States is fairly laughable.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I hate it. Hate.. It.. They put godzilla, the matrix, and id4 into a blender, set it on puree and let it sit on the kitchen counter till it was a moldy crusty indigestible goop that would even make a billy goat puke.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I hate it. Hate.. It.. They put godzilla, the matrix, and id4 into a blender, set it on puree and let it sit on the kitchen counter till it was a moldy crusty indigestible goop that would even make a billy goat puke.
Can we hang out? :lol:

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I hate it. Hate.. It.. They put godzilla, the matrix, and id4 into a blender, set it on puree and let it sit on the kitchen counter till it was a moldy crusty indigestible goop that would even make a billy goat puke.
This is all the reasons why I hate it.

Internet high five man.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!