Do You Differentiate The Millennium Godzillas?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
three
Keizer

Do You Differentiate The Millennium Godzillas?

Post by three »

So in light of a fantasy match thread I made, I began to wonder how fans of the series deal with the Millennium Godzilla. Specifically, how do they manage the question of continuity/ranking this Godzilla? Excluding GMK Godzilla, who really seems to be a one off, and for obvious reasons FW Godzilla, Godzilla in the Millennium series appears to be the exact same creature with a knack for adapting to different opponents, which hints at a higher intelligence than usual.

Further, his abilities remain generally the same throughout the series, as does his beam color, heat leakage (from mouth + spines as he charges), his overall appearance, and his other talents. For further clarification, the Godzilla I'm referring to appears in Godzilla 2000, Tokyo: SOS, X MechaGodzilla, and vs. Megaguirus. See for yourself.

I discovered that at least according to the monster bios, there exists a different bio for each of these creatures and they are counted separately despite being the same. Should we not throw out the sort of "technicality barrier" and just call these guys the same, or what? I'm eager to hear some thoughts.

Again, for the sake of posterity (I have changed the title of the thread as well): The Godzilla referenced appears in Godzilla 2000, Tokyo: SOS, X MechaGodzilla, and vs. Megaguirus.
Last edited by three on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: How Do You Deal With Millennium Godzilla?

Post by Mechagigan »

I think they're essentially the same Godzilla, just in separate films and respective continuities.

If the Heisei Godzilla appeared in a single non-cannon movie, it would be the same character, just not in the same continuity, for example.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Saansilt wrote:Standard issuse Godzilla.
Especially the mire brothers.
what do you mean by standard issue?

as for me, i consider them all the same Godzilla with no real difference (at least none we really get to see)...so basically they're the same.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

They're basically the same to me, and the suits are just more different than Heisei and later Showa iterations were.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kiryugoji had a noticeably different personality than Mire/Giragoji. There was a lot more mindless standing around and general inactivity from Kiryugoji, as I recall. Mire/Gira was constantly doing something. Kiryugoji was also willing to retreat.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

three
Keizer

Post by three »

JAGzilla wrote:Kiryugoji had a noticeably different personality than Mire/Giragoji. There was a lot more mindless standing around and general inactivity from Kiryugoji, as I recall. Mire/Gira was constantly doing something. Kiryugoji was also willing to retreat.

mm. i suppose. however, he displays the same cleverness/tactical prowess as his other millennium counterparts.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Do You Differentiate The Millennium Godzillas?

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla was in the Keeyu films? Wow, never noticed him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:Godzilla was in the Keeyu films? Wow, never noticed him.

i sense you're trying to do something to me here with this quote, but you've got some sort of barrier up and i can't see what you mean. son of a...

MiddleFin
Yojimbo

Post by MiddleFin »

No I see KiryuGoji as different all together from MireGoji. I even see MireGoji and GiraGoji as different even though its the same suit with a slimmed down face and lighter green skin. Different timeline I know. KiryuGoji is a different suit than MireGogi.
"You must not set foot in the valley of rainbows. Anyone who goes to the valley of rainbows will never return alive."

Windego47

Post by Windego47 »

I feel they are all the same; power level differences can be explained. I don't know how, but they could. Then again, I grew up with this kind of Godzilla.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

All the same except for FW Godzilla and GMK.

GMK kinda goes into same shelf as Gino for me. (off topic i know)
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

three
Keizer

Post by three »

ScootaVaran wrote:All the same except for FW Godzilla and GMK.

GMK kinda goes into same shelf as Gino for me. (off topic i know)

Nah it's fine because this is pretty much how I do it.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The way i see it, G2K is it's own Godzilla, the one who appears in GXM is the one from G2k, The one from GMK is its own, and the one from GAMG and GTSOS are both the same ones, and the one from GFW is its own too.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Alright so excluding GMK and final wars, lets get some new perspective. If you differentiate the four Godzillas, why do you do so?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Well, it's obvious that the Godzilla from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is an all together new Godzilla, it comes out and says that his appearance marks the second Godzilla that has attacked them, the first being Godzilla 1954 of course.
And we know the one from Godzilla Tokyo SOS is the one from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, so yeah.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

But drop the narratives for a moment -- we know that oddly enough several millennium films just start with a clean slate and attempt to paint themselves as direct sequels to the original --- so the question is do you even bother? Do you personally consider these Godzilla's different enough to be separate creatures, or would you call them the same with the only difference being the film they're in (a la Showa Godzilla).

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:The way i see it, G2K is it's own Godzilla, the one who appears in GXM is the one from G2k,
They're two different creatures. Mire & Gira Godzilla are from different continuities all together.

GiraGoji has decent regeneration, I don't recall him recovering from any notable damage in any fast span of time. His Atomic Ray is pretty strong, probably because of how hot it is. Average intelligence.

MireGoji has a different head from Gira. His regeneration is also much better, about as good or better then Heisei's. He also seemed smarter then GiraGoji. A better fighter too.

KiryuGoji has a personality all his own and has no regeneration what so ever. He's not as smart as Mire, but his physical strength is very impressive. He also boosts a pretty powerful Atomic Ray.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I feel they are all different tales of Godzilla with no real continuity except for the Kiryu flicks. Just a director's storytelling utilizing Godzilla as the main character made to keep the fandom alive. Kinda like how Amazing Spiderman and Peter Parker comics show no relation to one another but tell about the world of Spiderman from different writers.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:The way i see it, G2K is it's own Godzilla, the one who appears in GXM is the one from G2k,
They're two different creatures. Mire & Gira Godzilla are from different continuities all together.

GiraGoji has decent regeneration, I don't recall him recovering from any notable damage in any fast span of time. His Atomic Ray is pretty strong, probably because of how hot it is. Average intelligence.

MireGoji has a different head from Gira. His regeneration is also much better, about as good or better then Heisei's. He also seemed smarter then GiraGoji. A better fighter too.

KiryuGoji has a personality all his own and has no regeneration what so ever. He's not as smart as Mire, but his physical strength is very impressive. He also boosts a pretty powerful Atomic Ray.
You're probably right, I always assumed that GXM was a sequel to G2K. But I guess I'm wrong.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I do with Godzilla from GMK. For the other films, though most act like their own films, I don't.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.