Godzilla 2000: See it in theaters?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla 2000: See it in theaters?

Post by morgoth »

Yup. Saw it 5 times, loved it then and I love it now. One thing I liked better in the American version than the Japanese version is the music cue when Orga appeared, it was great! I also liked Orga's roar better in the American version too.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

morgoth wrote:Yup. Saw it 5 times, loved it then and I love it now. One thing I liked better in the American version than the Japanese version is the music cue when Orga appeared, it was great! I also liked Orga's roar better in the American version too.
Are there any clips of what you're reffering to online? Id like to see that and I'm pretty sure the bluray doesn't include that version. But yeah I remember being in awe at Orga but also his prior form.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
morgoth wrote:Yup. Saw it 5 times, loved it then and I love it now. One thing I liked better in the American version than the Japanese version is the music cue when Orga appeared, it was great! I also liked Orga's roar better in the American version too.
Are there any clips of what you're reffering to online? Id like to see that and I'm pretty sure the bluray doesn't include that version. But yeah I remember being in awe at Orga but also his prior form.

I don't know about online, but on my bluray I watched both the Japanese and American versions and on the Japanese version when orga appears it is silent but on the American version music plays and the music reminds me a lot of ghidorah the three headed monster's theme. His roar is different too on the Japanese version, it's high pitched and squeaky whereas the American version It is slightly deeper and more menacing.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

morgoth wrote: I don't know about online, but on my bluray I watched both the Japanese and American versions and on the Japanese version when orga appears it is silent but on the American version music plays and the music reminds me a lot of ghidorah the three headed monster's theme. His roar is different too on the Japanese version, it's high pitched and squeaky whereas the American version It is slightly deeper and more menacing.
The Japanese version recycles the Death Ghidorah/Cretaceous Ghidorah roars (mostly), and has no music when Orga is first shown, as the scene is played more for suspense/horror. The American version gives Orga a more resounding (but slightly bland) roar, and adds a remix of the classic Godzilla theme when Orga first shows up, as the scene is played more for action/thrills.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Saw it in theaters when I was about seven.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Yep, I saw this on opening day with two girls.
Don't think they enjoyed it much, but I loved every moment. Sadly we were probably the only ones in the theater to watch it.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

HoboBob
Yojimbo

Post by HoboBob »

Yeah, I saw it with my father when I was five years old. This damn Japanese boy that was even younger than me kept trying to talk to me about his mother the whole time. The only scenes I really remember seeing in the theater were Millennian's appearance and Godzilla razing everything at the end.
Stay cool, man.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I actually missed this one in theaters. I remember the commercials on TV, and wanting to see it, but it wasn't playing anywhere at home (and, according to my dad, I apparently didn't want to see it when we went on vacation). Oh well. When Godzilla 2014 came out I spared no expenses and saw it in IMAX a day before its scheduled release.
I did see Gojira in theaters, twice. Once in 2004 (with the Rialto Pictures release), and at the freaking Kennedy Center of all places. It was incredible. I got to see Gojira again in 2014, which was the remastered edition that Criterion released (so it was awesome to see several more restored things I didn't see in the Rialto showing). It was being shown at a fancy arts theater that would show both new releases and classics.

CritterKaiju
Yojimbo

Post by CritterKaiju »

Saw this in theaters when I was 9 . My grandmother took me. When the movie was over I looked over to see her sleeping. -_-

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I was 38 when this movie came out and sadly it wasn't played in my area. It is in my top 5 favorite Godzilla movies.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I saw it in theaters when I was 12, and it was a great experience. It renewed my (then) waning interest in Godzilla, and is one of my favorite G films to this day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's nice to see all the older members say they like it. Proves to me I don't just like it for nostalgia^^
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It's nice to see all the older members say they like it. Proves to me I don't just like it for nostalgia^^
I'm 25 and it's one of my favorites. Probably my favorite Millennium film.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It's nice to see all the older members say they like it. Proves to me I don't just like it for nostalgia^^
I think I qualify as one of the older members, and I definitely dug it, particularly on the big screen. I only managed to see it twice, since it came out right as I was transferring to a new college, and didn't really have the time to get out to the movies during that transition.

I feel like the shift to a scope ratio energized Okawara, and led to his crafting something far more fundamentally cinematic than he had in the past.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

eabaker wrote:I feel like the shift to a scope ratio energized Okawara, and led to his crafting something far more fundamentally cinematic than he had in the past.
Is that it? I've been wondering why it looks so much more filmic and inspired than his 90's efforts, and scope may have been a big part of it.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched this one last night. It was great seeing a G film in a theatre, and I still enjoy it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Daikaiju Dust?
GPN Volunteer

Post by Daikaiju Dust? »

I saw it twice in the theater! GK2 was the first Godzilla film that I ever saw on the big screen and totally loved every second of it. Still really like the movie and G suit design.
Pickles & Biscuits!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I actually saw the movie in VHS PRIOR to its premiere in theaters. From where I live, sometimes movies come out in home-video/online BEFORE those hit theaters and it was the case with G2000. My mom took me t see it, and was a little baffled that we went to see it there even after already having the VHS, but I said that experience on cinema was better, so yeah. That's how I got to see it for at least once, I must say pretty fun experience. :lol:
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.