Did Toho make Zilla look horrible on purpose in FW?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Did Toho make Zilla look horrible on purpose in FW?

Post by Starsteam »

Didn't they scan a G98 Trendmasters toy for their Zilla CGI model?
I mean it does look like some of the Godzilla 98 toys.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I don't think Toho had the intention.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I don't think they meant to. They had so many monsters in that movie and action scenes, that the budget was already stretched thin.

Japan CGI wasn't the best at that time either.

All the monster fights except the Gigan fights and Monster X/Ghidorah fight seem more like cameos and aren't choreographed the best.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Did Toho make Godzilla look horrible on purpose in the Millennium Series?

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Dude, stop acting so elitist, those are easily the most kino sequences from the entire Millennium era. :roll:

American CGI couldn't compare to that, look at Mortal Kombat for example.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Just remember these are better special effects than anything Eiji Tsuburaya ever accomplished.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

How could I ever forget :roll:

At least you can't see the strings, ammiright?
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Looking at the other CGI character models and scenes Toho did at the time, no, no they didn't make Zilla look horrible on purpose, that was legitimately the best CGI they could do at the time. But to be fair, sure their CG during the Millennium films was horrible, but most low budget CG at the time was. They didn't have Hollywood money to throw at these films, and back then you needed Hollywood money to do really respectable CG. It's not like today where some CW show like the Flash can pull off a pretty decent Gorilla Grodd vs King Shark monster fight.

On the other hand, look how far Toho has come since those films with Shin. If they were doing Final Wars today Zilla would look much better - hell, he might even look better than he did in the 98 Sony film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Ha, its pretty funny hearing you talk like the CGI in Godzilla 1998 was even remotely good.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I would say yes, except I saw what their own Godzilla looked like in CGI for underwater scenes in G2K and GXM, and I saw what CGI Ghidorah looked like in GMK, and I saw what CGI Manda looked like in the very same film. None of those examples looked great either.

Actually, of all those examples, the FW Zilla might be the best CGI creature from the Millennium series.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

If I remember (I heard this from Death Battle), Zilla was there specifically for a strike back against the sucky version of Godzilla. So yes, this was on purpose.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

HillyHulk wrote:If I remember (I heard this from Death Battle), Zilla was there specifically for a strike back against the sucky version of Godzilla. So yes, this was on purpose.
That's always just been a rumor. If they really hated Godzilla 98, they wouldn't have included his species in Final Wars or allowed him in the IDW comics.

Most of the fights in Godzilla Final Wars were short cameos, Zilla was nothing different. Most of the CGI in the Millennium series was bad, Zilla wasn't anything different. If they had a better budget and CGI was better at the time, they probably would have made his cameo look respectable.

Godzilla vs. The America Godzilla would have had huge international appeal if they had spent more time with the idea and not resorted it to a footnote.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Ryuhei Kitamura only directed FW, the interview also makes seem like he specifically requested to use the '98 design as a new kaiju and the higher-ups didn't care at that point.

I think ultimately the hate for '98 from Toho is greatly over-exaggerated, they probably have just totally moved on from it on an executive level. It does have a lingering presence with most people who are fans of the franchise and how those who aren't perceive it though, for that reason I personally really dislike '98 and Zilla.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Fish Cakes wrote:Ryuhei Kitamura only directed FW
Well he also co-wrote it, and he apparently had more control in the director's chair than most of Toho's in-house directors did, so I don't think you can just write off his contribution as "he was only the director."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

The more you know! I appreciate the correction and information. c:
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Starsteam wrote:Didn't they scan a G98 Trendmasters toy for their Zilla CGI model?
I vaguely recall that story too. I mean they probably weren't gonna spend a bunch of time or money on the Zilla CGI if they already knew it was more of a punchline.

Here it is:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... -toy-line/
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

darkcancer wrote:
Starsteam wrote:Didn't they scan a G98 Trendmasters toy for their Zilla CGI model?
I vaguely recall that story too. I mean they probably weren't gonna spend a bunch of time or money on the Zilla CGI if they already knew it was more of a punchline.

Here it is:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... -toy-line/
yeah it's comifrmed that's the method they used to make the Model. then again isn't that how a lot of people do it? you take the maqquete or other object then scan it into the computer?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Actually I have no idea how that process works. I was under the impression that scanning wasn't the most precise in the early 2000s or before and that just creating a 3D model would be easier. Then again, I'm sure that technology wasn't the best in the early 2000s either (compared to seeing some of the 3D models our very own are putting out in the Fan Art section).
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)