Would you like to see the MUTOs from G14 in Toho films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Would you like to see the MUTO from Godzilla 2014 in a Toho film?

YES.. Yes, I would! :D
39%
Nah.
14%
.. Perhaps.
25%
I need to see the film first, OP. I don't know if I want him in my toho movies yet!
23%

Total votes: 111

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Re: Would you like to see the MUTOs from G14 in Toho films?

Post by MrGameguy »

Sure.
I would love to see these things go against the Meganulon or maybe Destroyah.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I'd love to see underused monsters in future Toho films, such as King Caesar and Varan. But I love the Mutos and would love more appearances from them.

Battra_96
Yojimbo

Post by Battra_96 »

That would be one hell of a suit or puppet. I'd prefer if they stay away from CGI, they just don't quite have the money for that. Zilla is a prime example
Godzilla!!!!!!

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

With some polishing, Always 2 Goji could work:

Not terrible cgi for '07, and they've got seven years of technological advancement to improve it with.
Last edited by KaijuFiend on Thu May 22, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battra_96
Yojimbo

Post by Battra_96 »

That's actually not too shabby. I think they went a little cheap on zilla. Scanning an action figure is problem #1
Godzilla!!!!!!

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I have my suspicions that they made Zilla look a little bad on purpose, too.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Battra_96 wrote:That would be one hell of a suit or puppet. I'd prefer if they stay away from CGI, they just don't quite have the money for that. Zilla is a prime example
Here's a good disclaimer:

Before anyone dog piles on me and claims I am being "hateful" or incendiary towards the Japanese film industry, I am not. Otherwise, I would not have became such an avid enthusiast of Japanese filmmaking, particularly of the 50's to the later 80's . Rather, I am objectively pointing out why and how the Japanese film industry would struggle with depicting the MUTOs and competing with Hollywood productions. I also point out what changes would be needed to perhaps alleviate the stress and adapt the Japanese film industry so it would be more capable of competing in the global market.

Start of text wall.
--------

The issue is more about the Japanese industry being still largely isolationist than pragmatic. They would be able to make higher scale films if the Japanese film industry allowed support ,funds and input from outside entities. Their highly narrow focus on a very small domestic market absolutely limits the scale and budgets of the films they want to create, so if they wanted to make a film like the Avengers, it would look like something from the 70's with questionable CG.

First off, the Japanese film industry needs to learn that lesson and open up to targeting foreign markets such as America or China in significant ways, then they will become competitive to the outside world and be justified in upgrading their effects and methods to Hollywood standards. South Korea has done it and look at Snowpiercer or any of their dramas. The production values match the West and could be argued as on par with Hollywood. The only reason why Japan can't do a Snowpiercer is because the industry in Japan is honestly staunch in its methods. It is in this reason that Japanese studios make American studios look highly open-minded when it comes to investing and believing in the creative quotient of the products at hand in regards to the profits of the product. Good luck with trying to work with the Chinese, or trying to work with American studios or money with current attitudes.

The only real reason why traditional Tokusatsu methods worked in Japan and the world in the past is because of the effects were contemporary of the Cold War period. If Americans had modern effects in the 60's and 70's like we did in the 90's, Godzilla would look like something straight out of Bollywood and hardly would have been considered to be imported other than for comedic fare on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Or if modern effects existed in Japan at the time, the effects team would have used them in open arms.
However, as American tokusatsu effects advanced and evolved, the Japanese industry stayed in their corner and creatively and financially stagnated unlike their American competitors. Quite literally, Godzilla 1984 reached the summit, but Godzilla vs. Biollante was the peak of Japanese special effects in terms of monster movies from Japan for some time until 2007.

Basically the problems of Godzilla's scaling in the 90's in the lack of set details might have been solved by an adoption of green screen in mix with sets to alter Godzilla's height while keeping the scale detailed as it were in the 60's as possible. Lighting and shadowing would need to have been done to insert Godzilla into the world, then expand in a more biological design of the creatures that balances the iconic with tangible realism like the Winston or Delgado Godzilla. Then and only then you got a tangible contender in the foreign market with lower costs and a higher profit margin. The 90's films had great potential, but the lack of investment towards adopting American methods to complement their own has hurt the industry tremendously. They don't necessarily have to adopt CG ala carte, but by learning from effects masters in the States or subcontracting them, it would allow the Japanese film industry to have another renaissance through the merging of the traditional and the modern which is in keeping with Japanese tradition to begin with.

Since it would have to appeal to a larger global audience, there would be a necessity to cast some foreign actors as leads. That alone would be a vast innovation in a largely homogenous and[ perhaps could be argued] xenophobic industry that cannot cast appropriately for foreign roles or acknowledge the existence of the world beyond Japan, which is again, a result of its contracting film industry. Look at Monster Zero and a few other Godzilla films [if not other Japanese films] with foreign leads, and then look at the current state of the industry, where it is rare. While the earlier films trashed stereotypes, modern Japanese cinema embraces and promotes them.

Since movies were not invested to the effect as they were during the Golden age of Japanese cinema, alongside strict attitudes to tradition, the Japanese film industry has stagnated to the point where their fantastical movies look like they were made in the 90's ,but with devolved acting ,and execution. For trying to cut costs, the industry has effectively cut their nose to spare their face, with no anesthetic or towel to stop the nonstop bleeding. To place this into persective, without Walt Disney's gift of aiding the process of color animation in Japan if not animation in general in Osamu Tezuka's Mushi Productions, anime as we know it would have been stagnated for another decade. Without foreign masters of the craft to aid and guide the next generation of Japanese creators, they will fall further behind and become irrelevant.

And that is unfortunate, because the Japanese have plenty of properties that are just wasting away in development hell because they cannot be depicted or be difficult to because it is too costly to produce the right way. At minimum, a semi-decent TOHO Godzilla reboot would need 40 million in American dollars to produce if it were handled like a Hollywood production. If not, it's wasted bloat that would go for beautiful faces that act like Kirsten Stewart and have the emotional impact of the Airbender film's bland cast than to production or improving the soap opera quality of the current film industry.

But I digress. The Japanese industry is going to need to work with Hollywood studios for long term survival and adaptation to the twenty first century like other countries of similar size and wealth.

-------
End of text wall.

I hope this isn't too harsh of a critique as I am honestly trying to place out objectively why it couldn't work and how much work it would take for any changes to advance the Japanese film industry in context to its history. It would be a concept that Eiji Tsuburaya would look favorably upon and stand behind.

I would love if the Godzilla series could be revived in Japan, but only if the production is given an attention to detail and passion for the filmmaking with a merging of practical and computer generated effects.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Living Corpse wrote:Put them in a fighting game.
Sequel to Godzilla Unleashed?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

Toho will probably not make any more G-films in the foreseeable future. Why would they? They are making plenty of money on the property through licensing and merchandising, w/o having to put in the work, and take the risk, of actually producing films. That will continue for as long as the Legendary films are successful. LP's Godzilla sequel is at least 4 years away. If it's a hit, LP will make more. If it's not, why would Toho make more films in the wake of failure? Godzilla's future is in Hollywood, or nowhere at all.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

They were pretty cool, monsters, so yeah, I would.
AKA Jamie.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Maybe in the next Final Wars.
Hi!

MysticRabbit
Ronin

Post by MysticRabbit »

Not before a movie with other monsters.

Or maybe IN a movie with other monsters.

kaijubuddy
Yojimbo

Post by kaijubuddy »

I'd have to say maybe on that question because they don't seem like very major kaiju, I wouldn't mind associating them in a sequel. But in a major movie it would be boring because we've seen them already.
Happy Holidays Everybody!

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I'm not against it because I do really like the MUTOs, however I have faith in Toho (if they're not just recycling this time around) to come up with something a little more interesting.
'And yet another one?'

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Eventually yeah, could even be a cameo in the later movies of the Toho reboot.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Yeah! I want to see how would their puppets work with all those multiple legs.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I can easily see them being in suits. Less mobile? Yes. But don't forget there's been many multi legged monsters that have been pulled off successfully (not just in Godzilla but in things like Ultraman and like the monster Legion from Gamera).Don't forget that the MUTO's aren't very detailed. I feel like it would be easy. Sure you won't see something like the male Muto take off like he does when he first appears in G14. I feel like the Femuto is more likely to appear as well due to the absence of wings.

I'd rather see some other monsters get some love first but if TOHO said that the MUTO's would be in the next godzilla movie I wouldn't have any objections. I'd also rather have the MUTO's in if the other options are KG, MG, or Mothra (sorry but they already have been in plenty of movies).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

They need to spend a few decades in monster purgatory where most of monsters who aren't Mothra, MechaGodzilla, and King Ghidorah go.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I voted Perhaps. They don't seem to fit in with the Toho creations, but then we'll just have to see how Toho does it if they do decide to use them. I'm not opposed to it, I just more or less need convincing on how well it can be done.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i said perhaps, but it's most likely no. i just don't think that the MUTO would translate well over to a Toho movie. they were someone else's brainchild, and presented in a very different way than they'd be adapted, i think.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.