Best and worst Kaiju designs

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Re: Best and worst Kaiju designs

Post by DinoMaster »

Best Designs
- Orga
- Megaguirus
- GMK Baragon
- GMK Godzilla
- Kiryu
- Kamacuras
- Gigan
- Kumonga

Worst Designs
- KiryuGoji
- GMK Ghidorah
- Keizer Ghidorah

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Vatarian wrote: -Desghidorah
I'm assuming you meant Kaiser Ghidorah?

Anyway, for me:

Best:
All the Godzilla designs
Kiryu
Megaguirus
Baragon
Tokyo SOS/Final Wars Mothra

Worst:
GMK Ghidorah
Kaiser Ghidorah
Hedorah

I don't count designs like Kumonga and Minilla, because they weren't well-designed intially, so it's hard to say they have some of the worst "redesigns" specifically.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Mr. Xeno wrote: I don't count designs like Kumonga and Minilla, because they weren't well-designed intially, so it's hard to say they have some of the worst "redesigns" specifically.
I dunno, I don't think that excuses the Halloween-prop-esque stripes on Kumonga. Kills what would have been an otherwise fine design. Minilla, though, I think he looks great for an update on the design.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Best: Godzilla 2003
Worst: Manda
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Best is a toss up between G2000 (I kinda like the pinkish spines) and Kiryu. With an honorable mention for the Gigeresque horror that was FW Gigan.

Worst is Monster X. As others have said he seemed wildly out of place in a Godzilla movie. He looked like something from the Power Rangers / Super Sentai rogues gallery.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I like the GxMG and SOS Godzillas, GMK Baragon, Kiryu, the SOS Mothras and...that's about it, really.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

I'll get yelled at for this one, but also on my "worst" list os Orga. It's not that I don't like him. He is a rather interesting design. But I just can't look at him and not feel like he is a reskinned Star Wars Rancor. That and we get such precious little of him after enduring what feels like an hour + of that bad CGI space ship. It's also kind of clear from watching what few fight scenes we get with him that they were having lots of suit issues. It just doesn't move well. At all. Which is also likely why we got so little of him. The final bit with him unhinging his jaw to swallow G was great. But the rest felt disturbingly like something woefully unoriginal.

Samayel
Samurai

Post by Samayel »

They were all pretty bad, but Kaiser Ghidorah was particularly awful.
"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

Kiryu, Megaguirus, and the GMK Godzilla are my favorites. GFW Gigan is cool-looking, but is frankly a bit of a pushover in that film, and thus doesn't make the cut. The rest of the GFW designs range from passable to pretty bad, with Kumonga and Anguirus being the best of the lot. Tokyo SOS Mothra, all the other Millennium Godzillas, and GMK Baragon are all pretty good, but not all-time greats. Orga is nothing special, really, though certainly not terrible. The Tokyo SOS Kamoeba is cool because he basically looks exactly the same as the original.

If I had to pick a worst, I'd actually have to say the GMK Ghidorah. It's a lot better made than some of the GFW suits, but it just doesn't have the same flair or power as either the rest of the GMK designs or most earlier incarnations of KG. The fact that it's supposed to be the most powerful of the Guardian Monsters only makes the lackluster design seem even less effective.
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Kaijugriffey wrote:I'll get yelled at for this one, but also on my "worst" list os Orga. It's not that I don't like him. He is a rather interesting design. But I just can't look at him and not feel like he is a reskinned Star Wars Rancor. That and we get such precious little of him after enduring what feels like an hour + of that bad CGI space ship. It's also kind of clear from watching what few fight scenes we get with him that they were having lots of suit issues. It just doesn't move well. At all. Which is also likely why we got so little of him. The final bit with him unhinging his jaw to swallow G was great. But the rest felt disturbingly like something woefully unoriginal.
"Shutters"

Sometimes cgi is not the answer.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Best: FW Gigan, FW Anguirus (I'm actually one of the few fans, who prefer Millenium Angy over Showa Angy, the main reason being he finally doesn't look like he's crawling on his knees), Megaguirus, Orga, GMK Goji, GvsMega Goji, Kiryu

Worst: GMK Ghidorah (in his ground form, final form is ok), Monster X, Kumonga

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Israha wrote: FW Anguirus (I'm actually one of the few fans, who prefer Millenium Angy over Showa Angy, the main reason being he finally doesn't look like he's crawling on his knees)
I like the two about equally :D

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Israha wrote: FW Anguirus (I'm actually one of the few fans, who prefer Millenium Angy over Showa Angy, the main reason being he finally doesn't look like he's crawling on his knees)
I like the two about equally :D
Showa Angy is also one of my favourite kaiju designs, but the knee-crawling thing always gets on my nerves. And secondly, his lower jaw seems...odd, like it's been broken far before Mechagodzilla actually happens to do it. FW Angy looks more "natural" (if that can be said about a guy in a suit of a quadruped dinosaur monster). And since I've seen Final Wars before any movie involving Showa Angy, nostalgia reasons also aren't a thing for me.

GojiraMasutāRēsu
Ronin

Post by GojiraMasutāRēsu »

Best: Godzilla 1984, Biollante, Kiryu, FW Gigan, Orga, and GMK Ghidorah

Worst: Heisei Mechagodzilla, Any Minilla design that isn't FW Minilla, Godzilla 1967, Giant Condor
Kiss you guys!
~SSS9

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Since the Godzilla suits themselves have been discussed/debated extensively in other threads, I'll limit this to just kaiju foes.

Best design- GMK Baragon

Worst design: Tie: GMK King Ghidorah and FW Hedorah.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Kiryu's design is amazing... Simply my favorite. I also like the Varan-esque GMK Ghidorah, though in the film he didn't get to shine much.
I will say this about bad designs, though: that GMK mothra looks reeeeeally off to me...
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Fishheads88
Yojimbo

Post by Fishheads88 »

My best is Gigan final wars and Kiryu and Godzilla from Godzilla all monsters attack. The one where King Ghidora was good. My worst Mothra from Godzilla V.S the Sea Monster

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Megaguirus was awful, along with its movie's Godzilla suit. It looked a ton better in G2K, lighting fixes a lot :lol:

Orga looked cool

I'm just going to say, with the exception of Manda and Minila, every FW redesign sucked shit
Especially Anguirus's opossum looking ass

Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah looked lame

Kiryu was cool

Both GMK Ghidorah and Mothra looked like shit

GMK Godzilla was cool

Baragon looked fine

KiryuGoji looked fine

Kamoebas 2003 looked fine

Mothra 2003 looked awesome

All in all, Millenium sucked ass, with the bad outweighing the good
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Best:
Mire/GiraGoji, KiryuGoji, Kiryu, Megaguirus, Gigan, SOS and FW Mothra, Baragon

Worst:
Orga (Millennian), Rodan, Keizer Ghidorah, King Seesar, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Hedorah

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Especially Anguirus's opossum looking ass
:lol: I never noticed that before but you're totally right! :lol:

I honestly like most of the Millennium designs. I feel Ceasar was the worst offender but I fault the googly eyes moreso than the overall design. I'm also not big on FW Anguirus. I don't hate it but I don't care much for it either. The concept art was worlds better than the actual suit.

Though all in all my favorite Millennium design is FW Gigan. Not big on Chainsaw Gigan though.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983