The Millennium designs of each monster

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Millennium designs of each monster

Post by LiquidG »

Arbok wrote:
LiquidG wrote:Favorite designs are as follows

(1) Kiryu
(2) Godzilla: 2001
(3) Godzilla: 2002-2003
(4) Baragon
(5) Megaguirus
Add in Mothra '03 instead of Godzilla '02-'03 and I agree with this list.

The Millennium designs were generally good with some exceptions, but the execution sometimes needed work. For example, the facial movements of the characters were a huge step down after the half size anamatronics used by Kawakita from Godzilla vs. Biollante onward. I recall Godzilla's stoic, never blinking face in Godzilla 2000 being a let down.
I like mothra's design form GMK and Tokyo SOS but not as much as I did Godzilla's, I don't know there is somthing about the Kiryu suit that I really like, sure its not as good as the early Heisei suits but its still heads and shoulders above the latter Heisei suits and most of the millennium suits, a lot of people seem to hate this suit but I can't help but like it for some reason :)
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I never really cared for Mothra's GMK look. Seemed a little off to and could never really like it the way I did the other mothra's. Her eyes are huge in that film

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I thought the Millenium designs of every monster was great. They looked very modern, but they still keep an old school charm.

RolandEmmerich4EVR
Yojimbo

Post by RolandEmmerich4EVR »

Most of the Millennium designs were great, minus rabid Easter Bunny King Caesar and Power Rangers villain Monster X.

GMK Godzilla had no pupils and looked like a badass.
"That's a lot of fish."

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I liked all the designs of the monsters in the Millennium series except Kaiser Ghidorah in Final wars. I liked the design of Gigan in Final Wars. Baragon in GMK was alright but I have always found his face to be a bit goofy looking.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Legion1979 wrote:I thought the GMK Baragon was a respectful upgrade of the original version, despite losing the roar.
I agree it was a respectful upgrade of the original version. Its just that I have always found the face of Baragon to be kind of goofy looking no matter the era.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:I thought the GMK Baragon was a respectful upgrade of the original version, despite losing the roar.
I agree it was a respectful upgrade of the original version. Its just that I have always found the face of Baragon to be kind of goofy looking no matter the era.
That's what I like about him, He's cute and not threatening in appearance, but totally the opposite in personality, he's undoubtedly one of the most viscous SOB's in Toho's collection of Kaiju.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

RolandEmmerich4EVR
Yojimbo

Post by RolandEmmerich4EVR »

Legion1979 wrote:
RolandEmmerich4EVR wrote:
GMK Godzilla had no pupils and looked like a badass.
...and...?
And I also liked GMK Ghidorah. His design lent itself well to his portrayal as a benevolent dragon god. In fact, all the GMK monsters' designs took risks that, in my opinion, paid off.
"That's a lot of fish."

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Good to see someone else agrees with me on Ghidorah. I really like his GMK design.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Godzilla3000 wrote:Good to see someone else agrees with me on Ghidorah. I really like his GMK design.
The GMK design of Ghidorah is my favorite design of him.
Liam F.

KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

Kryu is probably my favorite version of "MechaGodzilla". I love that you can see the original teeth of the Godzilla skeleton inside his mouth, and his overall design is slick and dangerous. He also feels like more of a character to me as an outright cyborg, than the past MechaGs who were just robots or mechs. My only regret is that they didn't explore the idea of his berserk mode further, but oh well.