Seven Samurai: Kaiju Style

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Seven Samurai: Kaiju Style

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

This is either the best worst idea I've ever had, or the best best idea I've ever had for a movie. They say there are no original ideas left in the movie industry, but just because you're recycling doesn't mean you can't be inspired.

I was thinking about how Kaiju movies have gone downhill in popularity and in quality over the past few decades, and I was also thinking about how I used to watch Samurai 7 (futuristic retelling of the original film). Then it hit me: why not cross over the two genres, if not directly, but at least in style? And so I envisioned a modern day retelling of Seven Samurai, but instead of Samurai defending a village against an army of bandits, it could be a group of 7 Kaiju defending the world against a horde of alien monsters.

Maybe this should go under the ideas thread for new movies, but I thought this might warrant its own discussion.

I could see Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Caesar, Anguirus, King Kong and Varan going up against the likes of King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, Gigan, Megalon, Hedorah, and plenty of others.

Your thoughts?
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seven Samurai: Kaiju Style

Post by eabaker »

Years and years ago, I made a (terrible) G-Fest video contest entry called Kaiju Harvest, whichw as a (terrible) attempt at a kaiju re-telling of Dashiell Hammett's novel Red Harvest, which was part of the inspiration for Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

So, I guess I'm saying, yeah, such a thing does kinda make sense to me, although it would be best if it were done in a way that wasn't terrible, whichw as my mistake.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Seven Samurai: Kaiju Style

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be interesting, though we've already seen monsters unite to do battle in DAM.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.