Favorite Godzilla Film Score

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Favorite Film Score

Godzilla: 2000 by Takayuki Hattori
5%
Godzilla vs Megaguirus by Michiru Oshima
9%
GMK by Kow Otani
37%
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla by Michiru Oshima
26%
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S by Michiru Oshima
16%
Godzilla: Final Wars by Various Artists
7%

Total votes: 43

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Re: Favorite Godzilla Film Score

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Tokyo S.O.S.
I love, love, love all of Oshima's work (in the Godzilla series and beyond) and would rate her, in my personal opinion as the second best composer in the entire series. Her third Godzilla score however, takes the best of the themes she composed for Megaguirus and Mechagodzilla, adds in a slick new Mothra cue and ramps it all up to 11, while still maintaining the nice personal and quiet interludes that I like so much.
PSN: soilsongs

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

akanes_kiryu wrote:Tokyo S.O.S.
I love, love, love all of Oshima's work (in the Godzilla series and beyond) and would rate her, in my personal opinion as the second best composer in the entire series. Her third Godzilla score however, takes the best of the themes she composed for Megaguirus and Mechagodzilla, adds in a slick new Mothra cue and ramps it all up to 11, while still maintaining the nice personal and quiet interludes that I like so much.
Although I prefer her freshman Godzilla effort, there's no doubt that Tokyo SOS has a more emotionally-rich soundtrack, especially the end credits (which I've told people that I'd like to be played at my funeral).

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Tough choice, but the GMK score has to take favorite status for Godzilla's theme alone. I also love all of Oshima's work, especially in SOS. In addition, I actually liked quite a bit of the score for Final Wars. It may have been too music-video like, but it was unique, and Godzilla's theme, once again, kicked ass (Gigan's too). Oh, and Beginning of the End was AWESOME, though I'd attribute that more to Akira Ifukube than anyone else.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzilla 2000 (including the US version of it). I'm not sure why but I've always loved the score for this film. I think it's the darkness of it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: