GMK: Why so much love?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
three
Keizer

Re: GMK: Why so much love?

Post by three »

edgaguirus wrote:If I recall the movie right, we only see Mothra's energy absorbed by Ghidorah.
i thought it showed both. i can't find a good video of it, either.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Armored Colossus wrote: Why isn't it bad writing? I think a good story should have all the main characters do something significant to the plot and have a good amount of screentime too. Mothra had a decent amount of screentime, but she didn't do much of anything. Baragon had a cool fight, but he died too early. It would have been much more interesting to see Baragon more, because he isn't used often.

Using Baragon and Mothra as a plot device just so Ghidora can have more of the spotlight is a huge let down, especially since Ghidora is a overused kaiju.
That's a very... unsmart(?) standard to hold to movies. Characters DO NOT have to be necessary to the plot to be necessary to the film. There are far more aspects to a movie than just plot. For example, a character can represent an idea, or a theme, or an emotion, or part of a warring conflict of character traits. Yes, Mothra and Baragon existed primarily to die and power up Ghidorah, but they also served the purpose of providing monster action, showing how powerful Godzilla really is, and providing a parallel to how desperate people/Japan is getting. The monsters get bigger and more powerful, and they keep failing in the wake of Godzilla's destruction. The deaths of all three monsters are tragic and contribute to a growing sense of dread, despair, and hopelessness.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Post by Armored Colossus »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote: Why isn't it bad writing? I think a good story should have all the main characters do something significant to the plot and have a good amount of screentime too. Mothra had a decent amount of screentime, but she didn't do much of anything. Baragon had a cool fight, but he died too early. It would have been much more interesting to see Baragon more, because he isn't used often.

Using Baragon and Mothra as a plot device just so Ghidora can have more of the spotlight is a huge let down, especially since Ghidora is a overused kaiju.
That's a very... unsmart(?) standard to hold to movies. Characters DO NOT have to be necessary to the plot to be necessary to the film. There are far more aspects to a movie than just plot. For example, a character can represent an idea, or a theme, or an emotion, or part of a warring conflict of character traits. Yes, Mothra and Baragon existed primarily to die and power up Ghidorah, but they also served the purpose of providing monster action, showing how powerful Godzilla really is, and providing a parallel to how desperate people/Japan is getting. The monsters get bigger and more powerful, and they keep failing in the wake of Godzilla's destruction. The deaths of all three monsters are tragic and contribute to a growing sense of dread, despair, and hopelessness.
I don't use that as a standard to judge movies. I said "good story", not movie. I often do try to judge movies in ways besides the plot, like soundtrack, lighting, special effects. I do however see your points.
Armored Colossus was brought to you by viewers like you!