GMK: Why so much love?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Re: GMK: Why so much love?

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

What I love about GMK:

The Godzilla suit looks down right vicious and evil.

There is a lot of emotion going on in the face.

I love the father/daughter angle with Yuri and Tachibana as the actors have great chemistry together.

The music. Otani's score sometimes may sound too much like his GUndam Wing score, it is still fantastic, especially his Godzilla theme.

I like the idea of a stinger on Mothra. In fact, I do like her design and that her wings flap realistically. (There are negatives though as her wings are too small and she looks too plasticy)

The build up to Godzilla's introduction.

The fact that Kaneko tried to do something original with a more mythological angle to the story.

The realistic effects like Godzilla's tail actually crashing into things, debris from planes crashing into buildings, the amount of people dying from the monsters (like the soldiers in the tower when Godzilla is trying to hit Mothra with his breath and the news casters in the helicopter that Baragon lands on), monster chunks raining down from the sky after being blown up, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

That fact that Mothra and Ghidorah in this film weren't even supposed to be there kinda undermines their portrayal here.

Ghidorah being good I repeat was NOT done for creativity, he along with Mothra was simply swapped on for the sake of marque value.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LegendZilla wrote:That fact that Mothra and Ghidorah in this film weren't even supposed to be there kinda undermines their portrayal here.

Ghidorah being good I repeat was NOT done for creativity, he along with Mothra was simply swapped on for the sake of marque value.
It doesn't matter what the original idea was, the end result is that it did something different with the monsters.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:That fact that Mothra and Ghidorah in this film weren't even supposed to be there kinda undermines their portrayal here.

It doesn't matter what the original idea was, the end result is that it did something different with the monsters.
Something different? Sheesh, more like Bizzaro world if you ask me.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:

Something different? Sheesh, more like Bizzaro world if you ask me.
We never had Godzilla do much of mythology before outside of King Ceasar. And the fact that Ghidorah was not evil was a nice change of pace for once.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Post by Armored Colossus »

I felt like all Baragon and Mothra did was die.
Armored Colossus was brought to you by viewers like you!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In Mothra's case, I agree. For Baragon, I feel the kaiju tried his best. It didn't help that both Baragon and Mothra were dealing with a foe much bigger than they were, and armed with a powerful breath weapon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Armored Colossus wrote:I felt like all Baragon and Mothra did was die.
that's really all they were meant to do. it's how it was intended.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Armored Colossus wrote:I felt like all Baragon and Mothra diddly-iddly was die.
Like most monsters Godzilla goes up against in every movie. Space Godzilla was there to die. Destoroyah was there to die. King Ghidorah was there to die. MechaGodzilla was there to be destroyed. Battra was there to die. Orga was there to die. Megaguirus was there to die.

You have to remember also, the Millennium movies, sans Kiryu, were one shot movies. It would be inconclusive if the monsters were still alive or got away at the end of the movie. That's what makes both 2000 and Mega so frustrating, they were incomplete stories. Godzilla wasn't defeated, so the movie should not have ended there.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho is infamous for not knocking off Godzilla, or leaving some way for Godzilla to return in a later film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:I felt like all Baragon and Mothra diddly-iddly was die.
Like most monsters Godzilla goes up against in every movie. Space Godzilla was there to die. Destoroyah was there to die. King Ghidorah was there to die. MechaGodzilla was there to be destroyed. Battra was there to die. Orga was there to die. Megaguirus was there to die.

You have to remember also, the Millennium movies, sans Kiryu, were one shot movies. It would be inconclusive if the monsters were still alive or got away at the end of the movie. That's what makes both 2000 and Mega so frustrating, they were incomplete stories. Godzilla wasn't defeated, so the movie should not have ended there.
But those monsters were essential to the plot,particularly the climax. Mothra and Baragon just felt like cannon fodder, unlike Ghidora who was the most help in fighting Godzilla. After all didn't he cause the injury on Godzilla's shoulder, allowing the humans to defeat Godzilla?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

but you don't understand: they were supposed to be weak and turned into fodder. the director intended to demonstrate the vast power difference between Godzilla and the others.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

three wrote:but you don't understand: they were supposed to be weak and turned into fodder. the director intended to demonstrate the vast power difference between Godzilla and the others.
In my opinion, that's bad writing. Mothra and Baragon should have been more essential to the plot instead of King Ghidora being resurrected twice.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Armored Colossus wrote:
three wrote:but you don't understand: they were supposed to be weak and turned into fodder. the director intended to demonstrate the vast power difference between Godzilla and the others.
In my opinion, that's bad writing. Mothra and Baragon should have been more essential to the plot instead of King Ghidora being resurrected twice.
I should also point out that it was only the deaths of Mothra and Baragon - followed by Ghidorah absorbing their energy - that allowed Ghidorah to stand a chance against Godzilla in the first place.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:
I should also point out that it was only the deaths of Mothra and Baragon - followed by Ghidorah absorbing their energy - that allowed Ghidorah to stand a chance against Godzilla in the first place.
It seemed to me to be just Mothra's energy. I still think they should have done much more in the film.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Baragon is seen being sucked in with Mothra to Ghidorah if i remember this right.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Armored Colossus wrote:
That's not bad writing. That is just you not wanting to except weaker versions of those monsters because they were a plot device to get Ghidorah powered up.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Armored Colossus wrote:
That's not bad writing. That is just you not wanting to except weaker versions of those monsters because they were a plot device to get Ghidorah powered up.
Why isn't it bad writing? I think a good story should have all the main characters do something significant to the plot and have a good amount of screentime too. Mothra had a decent amount of screentime, but she didn't do much of anything. Baragon had a cool fight, but he died too early. It would have been much more interesting to see Baragon more, because he isn't used often.

Using Baragon and Mothra as a plot device just so Ghidora can have more of the spotlight is a huge let down, especially since Ghidora is a overused kaiju.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

GMK was Ghidorah's first appearance in 10 years. He isn't that over used.

Hell, that is the only time Ghidorah was even truly in the Millennium series as the one in FW was not really Ghidorah.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra is overused, too.

If I recall the movie right, we only see Mothra's energy absorbed by Ghidorah. What probably happened is that Mothra absorbed Baragon, since Mothra was the next guardian after Baragon, while in the cocoon. Ghidorah still absorbed Baragon, then, but explains why we only see Mothra's energy enter Ghidorah, and later, why we see Baragon appear with Mothra and Ghidorah after Ghidorah's destruction.