Pokémon: Extremespeed Genesect and the Awakening of Mewtwo

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Pokémon: Extremespeed Genesect and the Awakening of Mewtwo

Post by Arbok »

It's been a long, long time since I have been interested in a Pokémon movie. So what finally got me to take notice? Well the return of Mewtwo, naturally:

Been over a decade since he was featured in a Pokémon film, and he is getting the title role in this one versus the cybernetic Genesects. Nothing quite like nostalgia and a good old fashioned "versus" film to rekindle interest.

The film is coming with some drama too thanks to the inclusion of Mewtwo, which did feel odd considering it has been ages since his games were in the limelight (since the re-release of Green Leaf and Fire Red on the GameBoy Advance in fact). However, there is more to his inclusion than what it seems, as it's looking likely he will change into a new form:

Personally, I think the new form looks nice (many don't agree), although I think it looks like an earlier stage of Mewtwo... to me, Mewtwo looks more threatening of the two. So I will reserve judgement until his exact role in known, although it's looking very likely the new form will factor into the 2013 film.

So is anyone else interested, excited, or is the feeling more meh?

Here is a trailer if anyone is curious:

http://youtu.be/ltlggmo20Ck
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Pokémon: Extremespeed Genesect and the Awakening of Mewt

Post by Arbok »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think people are still debating if it's a new form or Mewthree. I don't mind the design for the Pokemon if it's Mewthree.
My first reaction to seeing it was: oh cool, Mewthree. However, a poster leaked that replaces Mewtwo with this new Pokémon in the design:

Many thought it was fake... but it leaked before they announced this new Pokémon, which means that either it's real (likely) or someone had access to the new Pokémon design before it was publicly announced to fool people with a fake poster (possible, but unlikely).

I'm currently bracing for this being a form of Mewtwo, like the very different sky form of Giratina. If that's the case, it would mean the name is still Mewtwo. If it's an actual evolution of Mewtwo, though, that would be odd considering he is already one of the most powerful characters in the game... not much direction to go up without making the other legendaries not as powerful in contrast.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I just want my shiny event Genesect with Extremespeed.

Also, it's def a new Mewtwo forme. Confirmed as the "Carry-on forme," it has a useful handle on its head so that it can easily be lifted and stored in overhead compartments (although it may shift during flight).
bleep bloop

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Legionmaster wrote:Also, it's def a new Mewtwo forme. Confirmed as the "Carry-on forme," it has a useful handle on its head so that it can easily be lifted and stored in overhead compartments (although it may shift during flight).
So does he evolve by trading him with an attached Gamecube item?

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Arbok wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:Also, it's def a new Mewtwo forme. Confirmed as the "Carry-on forme," it has a useful handle on its head so that it can easily be lifted and stored in overhead compartments (although it may shift during flight).
So does he evolve by trading him with an attached Gamecube item?

But the only games the main character has a Gamecube in are RSE.

HOENN CONFIRMED
bleep bloop

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

Aw that better not be what he turns into, thatll piss me off. It should just be Mewthree, cause Mewtwo fighting that thing would be more acceptable than Mewtwo BECOMING that thing.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

This movie is going to kick..... constalent but. The new pokemon is most likely Mewthree. And in the pokemon specail Mewtwo Returns, Giovanni even mentions his plans to create Mewthree if Mewtwo was a Success.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

I'm betting it's a new form. The trailer said something like "You don't know the REAL Mewtwo yet", which could perhaps suggest he has a new form that we don't know about. Making a Mewthree is kinda stretching the Mew line IMO.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Slightly late, but it's been confirmed as a new forme: http://youtu.be/7tSVBVQzNMg

Mewtwo's been a favorite of mine since childhood, so I was overjoyed to hear him return.

...However, Game Freak's been taking some pretty odd measures of bringing him back. Firstly, this forme. Why did they move his behind to the back of his head? How did he end up shrinking? What's with the fingers and toes?
Secondly, they replaced his awesome Japanese VA (Masachika Ichimura) with... well, a voice actress: http://youtu.be/rTyPZGdEyyc

I'll probably skip over watching a Japanese version, since I'd rather not have the fond memories of Smash Bros. Melee Mewtwo's voice being crushed, but I'll give it a watch one of these days. Not expecting the quality of the earliest movies, but may be fun regardless.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

Tear. Why did they ruin him? Cry
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Will he be a villain again?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

gzilla46 wrote:Will he be a villain again?
Highly unlike. Mewtwo Returns made him a good guy.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

This isn't Godzilla related....................................

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Godzillaman wrote:This isn't Godzilla related....................................
This subforum is not restricted to Godzilla related content.
"For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released after 1998, including upcoming movies."
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

^Oh, ok... I am going to leave this thread now

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I haven't been into Pokemon for quite some time, this movie is making me getting interested on the franchise.

Im still thinking that "mysterious" Mewtwo form will be called "Mewthree"
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillaman wrote:This isn't Godzilla related....................................
...You know the one who made the topic is the main administrator of TK, right? The person who created the site? I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.
:P
Giga Kaiju wrote:Im still thinking that "mysterious" Mewtwo form will be called "Mewthree"
It is being referred to as Mewtwo's "Awakened Forme" ("Awakened Mewtwo" in some Japanese translations).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gargantua
Samurai

Post by Gargantua »

Man they're messin up Mewtwo...

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

So the movie was finally released in Japan...

*SPOILERS*

The Mewtwo shown in this movie is NOT the same one that was introduced in Mewtwo Strikes Back, or the special. In fact, the director attempts to write him off entirely by having Ash totally forgot who or what a "Mewtwo" is! Also, the one introduced in this movie is female... hence the female VA. This is probably the biggest black mark I have against this film. It treats the young audience like they're idiots, having shown both the 1st movie and special various times in Japan to hype up this one, and disrespectfully slaps the older fanbase hard in the face.

Otherwise, the plot is pretty cut-and-dry. There is barely any explanation as to who created this new Mewtwo, it was created by random scientists, tortured, escaped, and can change into its newer speedier forme at will... because it feels like it. The Genesect are pissed off that their old home is replaced by buildings and go on a rampage. After a while, the four purple Genesect calm down, but their angry red leader wants to keep going at it. Mewtwo drags the red Genesect and itself into space, nearly knocking themselves out (??), see a sunrise, realize life is cool and all, and it ends on a happy note like all the films do.

I cannot help but feel there is some seriously wasted potential here...

*END SPOILERS*

By the by, here's the "prologue" that aired in Japan recently. It attempts to mildly explain more on Mewtwo, though even "mildly" is a bit strong of a word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAu_WseoKlM

Both the movie and this prologue look very pretty, though.
/crawls back under rock

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

GigaBowserG wrote:So the movie was finally released in Japan...
*SPOILERS*
The Mewtwo shown in this movie is NOT the same one that was introduced in Mewtwo Strikes Back, or the special. In fact, the director attempts to write him off entirely by having Ash totally forgot who or what a "Mewtwo" is! Also, the one introduced in this movie is female... hence the female VA. This is probably the biggest black mark I have against this film. It treats the young audience like they're idiots, having shown both the 1st movie and special various times in Japan to hype up this one, and disrespectfully slaps the older fanbase hard in the face.

Wow, oh wooooooow. Talk about the biggest "f@ck you" in Pokémon history IMHO.

Its things like this that make me glad I am not a fan anymore ...