Studio Ghibli's FROM UP ON POPPY HILL Begins US Run

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
kpa
G-Grasper

Studio Ghibli's FROM UP ON POPPY HILL Begins US Run

Post by kpa »

Studio Ghibli's FROM UP ON POPPY HILL begins its US theatrical run tomorrow in NYC...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... ay-in-nyc/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Studio Ghibli's FROM UP ON POPPY HILL Begins US Run

Post by Rody »

Goody! I doubt I will get to see it in theaters, but hopefully this means a R1 home video release soon.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I'm just curious. Someone on another forum stated GKIDS Inc picked this up because Disney "wasn't interested" in it? That dosen't seem to make sense. Has Disney's exclusive deal to release Studio Ghibli films expired? Any explanation is appreciated. Thank you.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Most have had limited releases. The "wide" release ones were only in theaters for a short time (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Arrietty)

I was fortunate enough to see Princess Mononoke way back when. Still my favorite to this day. I also took my whole family to see Ponyo when it came out a few years back. I wanted to see Earthsea, but it was only in Los Angeles, about an 8 hour drive for me.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

LaserDuel
GPN Volunteer

Post by LaserDuel »

o.supreme wrote:Most have had limited releases. The "wide" release ones were only in theaters for a short time (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Arrietty)

I was fortunate enough to see Princess Mononoke way back when. Still my favorite to this day. I also took my whole family to see Ponyo when it came out a few years back. I wanted to see Earthsea, but it was only in Los Angeles, about an 8 hour drive for me.
The only Studio Ghibli film I was ever able to see in a theater was Princess Mononoke at some sort of special showing. The unfortunate part was that I was 6 or 7, so all I remember about the movie is the trauma. Either way, its good too see that films like this are getting some kind of release.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

LaserDuel wrote:
o.supreme wrote:Most have had limited releases. The "wide" release ones were only in theaters for a short time (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Arrietty)

The only Studio Ghibli film I was ever able to see in a theater was Princess Mononoke at some sort of special showing. The unfortunate part was that I was 6 or 7, so all I remember about the movie is the trauma. Either way, its good too see that films like this are getting some kind of release.
I saw Ponyo...and I hated it. Mononoke I saw on Cartoon Network and then on DVD, and that's my top favorite Miyazaki film after Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away and maybe Howling Castle. Arrietty seems good but I have not seen it in full to judge.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I am sort of curious why GKIDS is releasing this instead of Disney.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

LaserDuel wrote:The unfortunate part was that I was 6 or 7, so all I remember about the movie is the trauma.
What, you weren't expecting sudden moments of dismemberment and decapitation? ;)

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

o.supreme wrote:I'm just curious. Someone on another forum stated GKIDS Inc picked this up because Disney "wasn't interested" in it? That dosen't seem to make sense. Has Disney's exclusive deal to release Studio Ghibli films expired? Any explanation is appreciated. Thank you.
Disney has a "first look" deal with Studio Ghibli, but they don't have to license every film. Obviously, they passed on FROM UP ON POPPY HILL.

Disney's theatrical rights to all of the Ghibli films from NAUSICAA to THE CAT RETURNS have expired, though they still control home video for those titles. GKids has licensed theatrical for all of those movies, including ONLY YESTERDAY and THE OCEAN WAVES which Disney has passed on. For their 2011-12 Studio Ghibli Retrospectives, GKids partnered with Disney so they could also screen HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE and PONYO. And Disney later acquired the rights to ARRIETTY.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I'm excited for this film. Aside from Grave of the Fireflies, the only Ghibli films I've seen were a few of the popular fantasy ones like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, etc. It should be interesting to see something more grounded in reality.

This movie is grounded in reality, right? No pig people, sky pirates, or weird nature spirits?
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Dust_pan wrote:I'm excited for this film. Aside from Grave of the Fireflies, the only Ghibli films I've seen were a few of the popular fantasy ones like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, etc. It should be interesting to see something more grounded in reality.

This movie is grounded in reality, right? No pig people, sky pirates, or weird nature spirits?
As far as I know, this is a "grounded" story without fantasy elements.