How did Kiryu get his name?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Goji95
Ronin

How did Kiryu get his name?

Post by Goji95 »

I was just wondering how exactly MechaG got his name Kiryu in Godzilla against Mechagodzilla. They never explain how he gets this name, nor why the film crew decided to give him this nickname rather than just call him Mechagodzilla. Sorry if this has been asked before, I be new to this forum.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: How did Kiryu get his name?

Post by Rody »

I believe Kiryu means something like "shining dragon" in Japanese. It's an appropriate title, but beyond that I do not know.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Rody wrote:I believe Kiryu means something like "shining dragon" in Japanese. It's an appropriate title, but beyond that I do not know.
I never knew either.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

What his name basically means is "metal dragon", which kind of makes sense for Kiryu. If he had just been called mechagodzilla all of the time, then I don't think he would be as popular and as recognized as he is today.

#BotM

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

"Machine Dragon" is the translation I hear the most.

Kiryu was one of the few Millennium kaiju with actual character, so I think the name change is appropriate here. It also distinguishes him from the other Mechagodzillas, which he is very different from.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It was his mother's maiden name.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

20th Century Boy wrote:"Machine Dragon" is the translation I hear the most.
That actually makes sense. And he he was one of the few mechs who had actual feelings and personality instead of being controlled like the previous MechaGodzillas.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

The name 'Kiryu' is a combination of the words 'kikai' (machine) and 'ryu' (dragon). I don't recall an official explanation for how/why Toho came up with it, but having a unique identification for a character can be helpful with promotions and merchandising... it immediately tells fans and licensing companies that this is a new (or new version of a) character.

Also, in GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA it is stated that Kiryu is the robot's true name and that 'Mechagodzilla' is just a nickname, not the other way around.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

His name mean's "Metal Dragon", nuffsaid
^This post in sexually offensive.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

My thanks once again for clearing up yet another fandom question, kpa. :-)

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Cause it sounds cool.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Rody wrote:My thanks once again for clearing up yet another fandom question, kpa. :-)
You're very welcome, Rody!

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I never knew what the name meant. I have a greater appreciation for it.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Here's something for the sake of discussion: What was everybody's reaction to the name change? At first, I found it annoying how they didn't call it Mechagodzilla, but it has eventually grown on me. Now I'll be annoyed if a video game of comic book DOESN'T call this version of the character Kiryu.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

20th Century Boy wrote:Here's something for the sake of discussion: What was everybody's reaction to the name change? At first, I found it annoying how they didn't call it Mechagodzilla, but it has eventually grown on me. Now I'll be annoyed if a video game of comic book DOESN'T call this version of the character Kiryu.
I found it more strange and confusing since I had no clue as to why they were changing the name. If I remember correctly in Tokyo SOS don't they call him Mecha-G instead of Kiyru?
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ Mecha g was just his nickname.

#BotM

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It sort of confused me when I first saw the film; but I like it now. As kpa mentioned, it helps this version stand out appropriately, since it's quite different from the previous renditions.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ Mecha g was just his nickname.
Yeah, I understand that but I can't remember if they still called him Kiyru though. You'd think I would know since I have seen the movie hundreds of times!
Liam F.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:^ Mecha g was just his nickname.
Yeah, I understand that but I can't remember if they still called him Kiyru though. You'd think I would know since I have seen the movie hundreds of times!
They did call him that some times. (I know it's weird)
^This post in sexually offensive.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Gojira1963 wrote:If I remember correctly in Tokyo SOS don't they call him Mecha-G instead of Kiyru?
He's called 'Kiryu' in the Japanese version but 'MechaG' in the subtitles and English dub.

Every November in Japan there is the Tokyo International Film Festival . The new Godzilla movies opened in Japan in December, so Toho often would premiere each movie the month before at TIFF. The prints shown at the festival would be subtitled in English, and Toho's subbed print of TOKYO SOS used 'MechaG' for the monster. I don't have an official explanation for why Toho did that, but the print was made for events where audiences may not necessarily have been hardcore Godzilla fans or had seen the previous film so it was likely done to keep things simple and avoid confusion. When the film was later dubbed into English it followed what had been done for the subtitles.

One nice touch: if you watch the Japanese opening titles for the film, each monster's name is shown. The word 'Kiryu' appears onscreen then transforms into the word 'Mechagodzilla'.