Why the 55- 60 meter height range

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
gojira012
Interpol Agent

Why the 55- 60 meter height range

Post by gojira012 »

Anybody know why until Final wars they opted to make the monsters in smaller more showa scale?

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Re: Why the 55- 60 meter height range

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I may be wrong, but maybe it has something to do with how much freedom they have with detailing the sets?

For the Heisei era, where the monsters were ridiculously huge, the sets didn't have much detail to them, while the Millenium series did more. Idk
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I may be wrong, but maybe it has something to do with how much freedom they have with detailing the sets?

For the Heisei era, where the monsters were ridiculously huge, the sets didn't have much detail to them, while the Millenium series did more. Idk
Im pretty sure the heisei explanation is right, but not the other
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gojira012 wrote:Anybody know why until Final wars they opted to make the monsters in smaller more showa scale?
I've heard several times before that the main reason they upped Godzilla to 100 meters in the first place was to save money on minatures - the bigger Godzilla is, the less detailed the miniatures have to be. Returning to the smaller scale allowed for more detailed miniatures.

I'm sure someone more in the know can correct me.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Another reason why he was increased to 80 meters and then 100 meters is because they did not want Godzilla to be as dwarfed by the buildings. If he was still 50 meters in ROG, he would have looked tiny compared to the buildings and therefore not as imposing.

I think the reason why he was changed back to 55 meters was because the hesei movies were heavly critcized for the poor details in the minitures so they went smaller to allevate some of that criticism.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've heard these explnations before, which dont hold much weight with me. The detail in sets from the Heisei to Millennium era dont really look any different to me.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Honestly, I think the detail in the Millenium sets is vastly improved over the Heisei era examples. The cities of the '90s films look like an expanse of plaster cubes to me, with only landmark and story-relevant structures given a proper presentation. The first time I saw G2K, I was absolutely thrilled with the improvement, finally bringing the series up to the level of Gamera: GotU.
I agree, there's a VERY noticeable improvement in the quality and detail of the minatures between Destroyah and Godzilla 2000 in my opinion.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Why not just have him be Gamera's height in the Gamera trilogy

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

And how big is that?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Well how big are the monsters and Jaegers in pacific rim gonna be

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gojira012 wrote:Well how big are the monsters and Jaegers in pacific rim gonna be
Also about 75 to 80m, I believe.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
gojira012 wrote:Well how big are the monsters and Jaegers in pacific rim gonna be
Based on that one on the aircarrier

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

gojira012 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Based on that one on the aircarrier
There 300ft.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

So why did they up Godzilla to 100 meters, and Monster X/Gigan to 120 meters?

#BotM

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

gojira012 wrote:Anybody know why until Final wars they opted to make the monsters in smaller more showa scale?
How tall was he in Final Wars?
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/