A Kiryu Trilogy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Would you have liked a Kiryu Trilogy?

Yes, I would've liked a complete trilogy
36%
Yes, if it replaced Final Wars
21%
No, his story is over
20%
No, I'm happy with Final Wars
5%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 80

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

A Kiryu Trilogy

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Would you have liked a Kiryu trilogy?

Had there been a Kiryu Trilogy, the concluding chapter would've ended up being the official 50th Anniversary film and replaced Final Wars.

GxM introduced to us the characters and arguably the main character of this trilogy, Kiryu.
Tokyo SOS, the first sequel, expanded the story and introduced new characters. Arguably might've been the weakest of the trilogy, even though the third usually is.
The third might've had the return of the lead from the first film, and the rules of the third film as follows:
If you find yourself dealing with an unexpected back-story, and a preponderance of exposition, then the sequel rules do not apply. Because you are not dealing with a sequel. You are dealing with the concluding chapter of a trilogy. Yes a trilogy. .........................., and its a force to be reckoned with, because true trilogies are all about going back to the beginning and discovering something that wasn't true from the get go. "Godfather", "Jedi", all revealed something that we thought was true, that wasn't true. So if it is a trilogy you are dealing with, here are some super trilogy rules. You got a killer whos going to be super human. Stabbing him wont work, shotting him wont work, basically in the third one, you gotta cryogenically freeze his head, decapitate him, or blow him up.
Anyone including the main character can die. This means you....... its the final chapter...................
The past will come back to bite you in the ass! Whatever you think you know about the past, forget it. The past is not at rest, any sins you think were committed in the past are about to break out and destroy you.
Many films followed this like The Dark Knight Rises, Spider-Man 3, Gamera 3, Scream 3.........and etc.

The after credits scene of Tokyo SOS kinda left it open for a continuation. Humans still have Godzilla's cells and are still doing tests. They clearly didnt learn their lesson yet..
Kiryu and Godzilla are at the bottom of the ocean. It is supposed that they're dead, but they're still intact. Godzilla has come back from worse than that and Kiryu is a cyborg.

What do you think a third film would've been?
Would it have continued with the human still having Godzilla's cells or would it still have been a Final Wars type story, except the antagonists have control of Kiryu, only for him to switch sides at the end again and help Godzilla defeat said "super villain"

Oh, for the poll, you can vote for up to 5 options
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: A Kiryu Trilogy

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yes, I would have loved a third Kiryu movie to replace Final Wars. The plot would have probably been about Japan's government sending a search team to look for Kiryu and failing at first. They then try again a year later and manage to locate Kiryu's husk which is in need of extensive repair. Once Kiryu is 100% fixed, Godzilla returns and goes on a massive rampage. Kiryu arrives to fight his "brother", but the pilots loose control over the mech and Kiryu joins Godzilla in his rampage. Kiryu's creators and science team come to an unfortunate conclusion that Kiryu is lost forever, and cannot be "saved". After hours of city wide destruction and several dead troops, Kiryu's soul is snapped out of its destructive side, and Kiryu turns on Godzilla to protect what is left of Japan. After what seems like days of nonstop fighting... Kiryu finally manages to break the tie that he and Godzilla had and kills him with the abz. Not before Godzilla has done some severe damage to Kiryu as well, enough to where repairs are out of the question. Kiryu is the victor but is mortally wounded and with one final metallic roar... He shuts down permenately, thus joining Godzilla in the cradle of the universe. I haven't figured out the closing scene yet but you get the gist of the story. This would be a better anniversary gift than Final Wars.

#BotM

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I voted yes since we haven't really had a trilogy within the Godzilla series before (hopefully Legendary pictures will change that). I heard there was no third installment planned despite the scene after the credits of Tokyo SOS. That's a little unfortunate. On the other hand, I want to say Kiryu's story is over. Tokyo SOS ended with Godzilla's possible death and Kiryu being liberated from unwanted life and finally resting in peace. Anyways, here's what I think the plot would've turned out like (it's half speculation, half wish list):

GODZILLA: TOKYO ARMAGEDDON
Three years after the events of Tokyo SOS, humans have almost completed a biotech weapon project from the Godzilla cells from the end credits scene of the previous movie. At the same time, Kiryu rises out of the ocean and starts attacking Tokyo. This is the same uncontrollable red-eyed Kiryu from his rampage scene in GxM. It's implied that he rises to punish the humans for their attempts at making bio-weapons from Godzilla, but the humans just don't get it; they decide to rebuild their bio-weapon as an anti-Kiryu defense machine. They use the corpse of Godzilla from the bottom of the ocean and create Cybergodzilla (not unlike Cyber-Zilla from Godzilla the Series). When Kiryu attacks again, they deploy Cybergodzilla. The two monsters fight, but Cybergodzilla severely disables Kiryu due to his superior weaponry. Right when the humans are celebrating, Godzilla's mind takes over Cybergodzilla and starts attacking Tokyo. Oh no! When all hope seems to be lost, two Mothras show up to stop Cybergodzilla's rampage. Yes, the two Mothra larvae are now full adult Mothras and they try to take on Cybergodzilla. However, even their combined might is not enough to take him down. Kiryu suddenly rises back, his eyes no longer red. Finally, the three monsters' strength is enough to defeat the cyborg monster. The monsters depart and Kiryu is seen swimming back to ocean. The main characters decide to drop their biotechnology weapon projects, because if mankind ever weaponizes nature again, Kiryu will rise again to punish mankind... Fin!

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

I think one possible thing they would've went through with was the Final Wars type storyline, minus the matrix fighting, color filters, stylized design of the characters, and pretty much everything that was wrong with Final Wars.

Instead of the humans controlling Kiryu, it would've been the villains, who've retrieve Kiryu from the sea. There, we got an evil Mechagodzilla controlled by aliens again.

Then near the end, Gojira wakes up in Kiryu and helps Godzilla and the other monsters fight in the final battle.
There, the first Godzilla, current Godzilla, and Earth's monsters fighting to save the Earth.
Would've been cool to see Kiryu fight Gigan and stuff. Then at the end, Godzilla or Kiryu die.

Great way to end the series
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think the Kiryu story would have made a much better finale to the franchise than FW, but rather than make a THIRD movie, Toho should have put more effort into the first two.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I doubt a third Kiryu film would actually involve Kiryu. Perhaps not even the same Godzilla for that matter.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

I think GodzillaRangerPrime is talking hypothetically about a "Kiryu Trilogy" but, just to set the record straight, Toho never had any plans to do that. The "Kiryu Trilogy" is nothing but a fan urban legend.

Toho always hoped the 50th anniversary Godzilla film would get an international theatrical release. That meant a standalone story that international audiences could easily follow, not a part 3 wrapping up two other movies that weren't widely released or seen outside Japan by 2004. Obviously FINAL WARS failed to deliver what Toho hoped for, but that was the plan.

With the exception that the anniversary film would be targeted for international sales, Toho never plans out the Godzilla movies years in advance. They did the series one movie at a time, so GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA wasn't even conceived as part 1 of a 2 part story (let alone the start of a trilogy). Producer Shogo Tomiyama said Toho was originally planning another standalone Godzilla movie with Mothra for 2003, but director Masaaki Tezuka pitched a story treatment treatment for a direct sequel featuring Mothra and Kiryu. The producers liked it so that's what they decided to do. Both Tezuka and Tomiyama also said in 2003 that the second Kiryu film would conclude the story.

Quotes from an interview with Tomiyama, conducted May 1, 2003 (while TOKYO SOS was in production)...

At the beginning of this year, we were thinking of including Mothra, a "Plus Alpha" [a popular box office and merchandising] character, if another Godzilla film went into production. I had a chance to see Tezuka's plot idea for the film and it was really interesting. His concept eventually became an impulse to move the project ahead.

In this production of GODZILLA X MOTHRA X MECHAGODZILLA: TOKYO SOS, the battle between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla will come to an end. That will conclude the story. I'm also thinking next year's 50th anniversary of Godzilla's birth. I intend to make the anniversary film into a sort of conclusion to all the Godzilla movies ever made.

First, the decision to do the 50th anniversary commemoration project is not mine to make. Even if we don't start the film quickly under the best of conditions, I really hope it doesn't turn out bad. When we do the 50th anniversary project, I want to search thoroughly for talent both in and out of our studio, and we could turn up with as many as 10,000 potential cast and crew members. That is a very good thought.

So the correct answer to the question "What do you think a third film would've been?" is "nothing" because Toho never considered it.
Last edited by kpa on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Nice info
And yeah, I am asking hypothetically, as in what if Toho had a trilogy in mind.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kiryu's story is finished, however the ending really left me wanting more. What where they going to do with that DNA they had from Godzilla? Also what mech was the US building?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Quote by Gyaos:
"Kiryu's story is finished, however the ending really left me wanting more. What were they going to do with Godzilla's DNA they had from Godzilla ? Also what mech was the US building ?"
It did leave you thinking there was more to come. Especially considering that the Kiryu timeline's history involved a bunch of Toho Daikaiju Eiga from War of the Gargantuas, Dogora, Space Ameoba, and even King Kong Escapes I always had it in my head that JSDF decided that after the events of TOKYO S*O*S* to start construction of another mech with with Godzilla's DNA being used like the previous Kiryu for the building blocks to Kiryu's biochip computer. Thus introducing Kiryu 1.5, seeing that as Kameobas showed that there daikaiju out there besides Godzilla, and Mothra. The Prime Minister and JSXDF feeling that it better to err on the side of caution to have a proven means to deal with the daikaiju threat at the ready. Seeing how long it took to develop the original, and the year it took to get Kiryu back up to spec after the mech's big battle with Godzilla. And the big threat Kiryu 1.5 is called in to beat beat is the space monster King Ghidorah. And along for the battle is the newly awakened Godzilla, Mothra larva, and a fully metamorphised Mothra join forces to battle the King of Terror. Although, due to legal issues, I know it wouldn't happen even if a third Kiryu flick was greenlit, I was thinking the American mech would've been Mechani-Kong. Which would've been sweet to see both Kiryu and an updated Mechani-Kong teaming up in ball to the wall action against King Ghidorah.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

That would have been an interesting change of pace, but I imagine a large majority of viewers would have been displeased with seeing Godzilla get killed off, and having a story continue without him.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

It's a shame that Toho never planned to make a third Kiryu movei, I would've frikin loved to see that!
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

My idea of something like this is, using the cells at the end of S.O.S, Titanosaurus was made to protect Japan from enemy monsters. Kiryu, being told from the twins about this, lifts himself up with his red, angry eyes, to face Titanosaurus. The humans decide to retaliate with a small EMP, supposedly destroying Kiryu for good. The twins warn Japan about a great, great threat coming soon if they don't stop creating artificial life.

Godzilla rises and utterly destroys Titanosaurus, and half of Tokyo, only one Mothra showed to face him and Godzilla shrugged her off as nothing. The Mothra flew back.

Using Kiryu's scraps, Titanosaurus has become MechaTitanosaurus. During a test run, an error went by in which MechaTitanosaurus went crazy just like Kiryu, this time the roar attracted Godzilla, and the final fight begins here. Both Mothra, full grown, appear. After a crazy battle leaving one Mothra killed, Titanosaurus heavily injured, and Godzilla minimally injured and angry, Godzilla finishes off MechaTitanosaurus with his Atomic Ray, and one Mothra is left. The Kiryu in Titanosaurus wakes up now, and opens up an Absolute Zero Cannon from the mouth, and as it is heading towards Godzilla, bam, it didn't. Instead, the twins protected Godzilla with a shield, and the blast reflected towards MechaTitanosaurus for good. Godzilla looks Mothra in the eye in and leaves, just this once Mothra has to come up and be his saviour.

Tokyo has been destroyed as a consequence of humanity using biotech weapons, leaving the ending somehow mysterious as the camera rolls up to a newly-built Kiryu, humanity has not learned its lesson.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

If there was a 3rd Kiryu movie, it needed to have something more to make it a 50th Anniversay movie. I don't have any ideas to continue it though. I was thinking a Kaiju War with Godzilla and Giant Monsters VS Kiryu and Giant Robots. If that would've existed, many would view Pacific Rim as a rip-off.
Yooo 8-)

dragongora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dragongora »

It would been awesome if there was a third film
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

i think his story is over. because in tokyo SOS, it's Kiryu's last chance at killing godzilla.