Mmm...Would Final Wars Have Worked Better, As A TV Show?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Mmm...Would Final Wars Have Worked Better, As A TV Show?

Post by Blackout286 »

Having recently watched it, from the cinematography, to how things were structured out from the Xilian's Monster Invasion, to Godzilla fighting the final baddie, along with how some things were handled.

I couldn't help feel as if I was watching a Godzilla TV show, but within the veins of the modern Ultraman TV shows. Except with slightly better special effects, and that the shows were running all seamlessly together.

The movie felt like it could have been pretty panned out as a TV series than Godzilla's final movie, with Godzilla traveling across the world and handling the monsters, but with a more satisfying crafted fight instead of instant K.O's. Do mind that the series would be fairly short as we're only dealing with the monsters listed within the content of the actual movie. I'm thinking about maybe 18 or 20 episodes would have been a nice number to go by. But that's just me personally.

I'm not sure if anyone could truly see Final Wars as a TV series, but could it have been better? Or did it at least feel like a TV show to some of you upon watching it in recent years?

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Re: Mmm...Would Final Wars Have Worked Better, As A TV Show?

Post by darkcancer »

I can see that, in a kind of monster-of-the-week deal with the monsters from Final Wars. Definitely would have given them all more screen time and had more time to pan out the story (instead of the rushed feel of FW).
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Yeah, it would've still sucked given the director was Ryuhei Kitamaru.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

junkerde wrote:Yeah, it would've still sucked given the director was Ryuhei Kitamaru.
Depends, if the monster battles were panned out, then it would have been decently okayish. Not good or better, but okayish to some degree.

That's one of the main problems for certain G-fans, Final Wars didn't have enough monster bashing screen time. Which caused monsters to be quickly benched and not utilized to their best potential. If the battles were a bit panned out and entertaining, then the movie would have been a bit more forgivable to fans who didn't like the film all that much.

So I find that if it were a TV show and things were better organized and mapped out. Then yeah, it would have worked better.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

If Final Wars is paced like a bunch of TV episodes rather than a feature film, that might explain some of its problems.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The only way Final Wars would have worked better was to get a completely different director an a completely different script.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:The only way Final Wars would have worked better was to get a completely different director an a completely different script.
Well, yeah. That goes without saying. :p

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Final Wars defiantly could have worked as a 13 episode Season. The first 2 episodes establish the plot, the next 9 are filler and the last two episodes being the fight with Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

A full TV show? No. Maybe two movies, though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

JVM wrote:A full TV show? No. Maybe two movies, though.
I actually think this would be better, like a part one, part two. Yeah it's been done before, but it worked pretty well. More than a TV show.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

You can't really save a nine and a half year old movie, its pretty much too late at this point. This thread is basically a "what if" type discussion to see of there was any hope for Final Wars, which I believe there was if it was given a completely new makeover either show wise, or two movies wise.

#BotM

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Godzilla165 wrote:You can't really save a nine and a half year old movie, its pretty much too late at this point. This thread is basically a "what if" type discussion to see of there was any hope for Final Wars, which I believe there was if it was given a completely new makeover either show wise, or two movies wise.
Um, most threads in this official sections have "what if" type discussions, I think everyone knows that this is clearly one of them. :P

Most films can be saved with the right plan behind it all. Final Wars could have been acceptable as a TV show, it seems more like one anyway. As a TV show then at least some of its fault would have been more forgivable.

movieartman
Monarch Researcher

Post by movieartman »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:The only way Final Wars would have worked better was to get a completely different director an a completely different script.
No...... the alien invasion plot, and mutant super soldiers was absolutly fine for a godzilla movie/tv series it just didnt leave room for the monsters in the film.

i think this would have been a supurb idea

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

movieartman wrote:
No...... the alien invasion plot, and mutant super soldiers was absolutly fine for a godzilla movie/tv series it just didnt leave room for the monsters in the film.

I really don't think the mutant super soldiers aspect would ever work for me. It completely undercuts what I find to be the most important facet of kaiju eiga: the relative insignificance of human beings when the forces of nature arise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
movieartman wrote:

I really don't think the mutant super soldiers aspect would ever work for me. It completely undercuts what I find to be the most important facet of kaiju eiga: the relative insignificance of human beings when the forces of nature arise.
Yeah...mutant soldiers fighting monsters is way more like a...TV show...
bleep bloop

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

eabaker wrote:I really don't think the mutant super soldiers aspect would ever work for me. It completely undercuts what I find to be the most important facet of kaiju eiga: the relative insignificance of human beings when the forces of nature arise.
The beef I have with the mutants is that they're unrelatable. They're these super-beings with intellegence, strength, and jumps, but time is wasted showing them off fighting. Watching them fight doesn't build character; it's boring. It may show you what they can do, but I think this would've been better implemented if introduced in small scenes, instead of splicing together very large segments of them in action. It pulls the focus away from the more interesting elements of the film (the monsters), whom we actually want to see in action.
It's ironic, because monsters show us their character when we watch them fight. It shows us what they can do, and what tricks they can pull off. That's far more interesting than seeing some mutant person pulling off unstoppable kung fu moves, something we already assume they can do because... well, they're mutants!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GigaBowserG wrote:
eabaker wrote:I really don't think the mutant super soldiers aspect would ever work for me. It completely undercuts what I find to be the most important facet of kaiju eiga: the relative insignificance of human beings when the forces of nature arise.
The beef I have with the mutants is that they're unrelatable. They're these super-beings with intellegence, strength, and jumps, but time is wasted showing them off fighting. Watching them fight doesn't build character; it's boring. It may show you what they can do, but I think this would've been better implemented if introduced in small scenes, instead of splicing together very large segments of them in action. It pulls the focus away from the more interesting elements of the film (the monsters), whom we actually want to see in action.
It's ironic, because monsters show us their character when we watch them fight. It shows us what they can do, and what tricks they can pull off. That's far more interesting than seeing some mutant person pulling off unstoppable kung fu moves, something we already assume they can do because... well, they're mutants!
Yeah, what I said plus everything that you said = one of the major reasons that the movie annoys me so very, very much, though still far from the only reason.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tyler wrote:I think people try too hard to look for ways to 'salvage' Final Wars.
I agree with this. I know people like to discuss this topic a lot... but in my personal opinion, I'm happy with what we got. It's not the best Godzilla movie, but they tried something different..... it may have not worked, but overall I'm pleased with it. Sure there's things I would change, but that's pretty much any movie out there. I like GFW for what it is.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer