Powers Talback: Atomic Breath (ASOTS2)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: Powers Talback: Atomic Breath (ASOTS2)

Post by Godzilla165 »

More like a laser than anything else, very unimpressive in my opinion.

#BotM

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

No, it wasn't impressive because I'm thinking about what kind of damage it could do to heavy hitters like Ghidorah, Dessy, SpaceGodzilla etc. By the looks of the scene, I really don't think it could do much of anything against those monsters, and to me all it really is is a gravity beam packed full of steroids and heat. I'm not saying it has to be as powerful as FW Godzilla's which is what you're obviously implying ;), but I just don't see a whole lot a of power in it. Maybe it was a low power shot, and when Godzilla decides to charge it up fully, it can slice through mountains and Kaiju with ease. I like to call this version of the atomic breath the "atomic katana", due to it having a shitload of cutting power.

Also, did you forget Rodan's sonic booms when he flies at supersonic speeds, or are you choosing not to do a thread about it?

#BotM

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Shit if Godzilla looked similar to this in LPG, I'd be quite happy with it.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Godzilla165 wrote:No, it wasn't impressive because I'm thinking about what kind of damage it could do to heavy hitters like Ghidorah, Dessy, SpaceGodzilla etc.

Well this beam is obviously a throwback to the effect's of ShodaiGoji's atomic breath, and since he didn't battle any monsters in this scene calling it unimpressive is pretty pointless since this beam isn't designed to take on heavy hitters. Is Shodaigoji an unimpressive monster because he would not be able to cause big damage against a heavy hitter? I'd say making a clean cut through the Tokyo Tower and causing it to fall (presumably) onto people trying to escape is a lot more impressive than a a bunch of sparks and a minor explosion which we get from most beams.
Shadow wrote:Shit if Godzilla looked similar to this in LPG, I'd be quite happy with it.
There were a few reports when the trailer was shown saying he looked like the Always 2 Goji, but you should probably take that with a grain of salt since there were also people who said that the kaiju attacking the bridge in the Pacific Rim trailer looked like a multi-limbed Godzilla, so it could just be people wanting to associate the design with something that already exists.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Copperydock wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:No, it wasn't impressive because I'm thinking about what kind of damage it could do to heavy hitters like Ghidorah, Dessy, SpaceGodzilla etc.

Well this beam is obviously a throwback to the effect's of ShodaiGoji's atomic breath, and since he didn't battle any monsters in this scene calling it unimpressive is pretty pointless since this beam isn't designed to take on heavy hitters. Is Shodaigoji an unimpressive monster because he would not be able to cause big damage against a heavy hitter? I'd say making a clean cut through the Tokyo Tower and causing it to fall (presumably) onto people trying to escape is a lot more impressive than a a bunch of sparks and a minor explosion which we get from most beams.
Shadow wrote:Shit if Godzilla looked similar to this in LPG, I'd be quite happy with it.
There were a few reports when the trailer was shown saying he looked like the Always 2 Goji, but you should probably take that with a grain of salt since there were also people who said that the kaiju attacking the bridge in the Pacific Rim trailer looked like a multi-limbed Godzilla, so it could just be people wanting to associate the design with something that already exists.
Perhaps you need to reread my post and specifically the end, I said that the beam was unimpressive yes, then I came up with the idea that maybe Godzilla had fired a low power shot and that at full power his atomic breath could cut a mountain or any of the heavy hitters cleanly in half. That's why I called it the "atomic katana", seeing as it has a ton of cutting power. Did I ever imply that the original Godzilla is unimpressive to me? No, so let's get that straight now, in fact I think he is very impressive in terms of his raw power and aggression. In my opinion, this atomic breath is unimpressive due to the brief scene and its lack of power, maybe if the scene was longer and Godzilla had decided to crank up the power then my opinion would be different, but from what I watched this atomic breath doesn't do it for me. I would've loved to see it used on a monster or a bigger and wider building however to see what it can really do, but oh well. Godzilla himself is impressive though, he reminds me of a beefier ShodaiGoji.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Lets compare this to Kiryu Godzilla's beam for a second. In Tokyo SOS, Kiryu Godzilla's Atomic Ray destroyed Tokyo Tower. It did this using explosive force.

This Godzilla's ray, however, burned through Tokyo Tower instantly. It's a real heat beam. This both impresses and delights me because it's my Atomic Breath preference.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

It was such a quick shot that it rubbed me the wrong way I guess. I think that if ShodaiGoji had a charged version of his vapor breath, this is what it would be like. I'm still taking this beam with a grain of salt, but its grown on me alittle more.

#BotM

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla165 wrote:It was such a quick shot that it rubbed me the wrong way I guess.
Why? Did it burn your ass off? Wait... did it cut your ass off?

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yeah some major surgery had to be done to save at least half of my ass, the other half is prosthetic.

#BotM

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla165 wrote:Yeah some major surgery had to be done to save at least half of my ass, the other half is prosthetic.
Yes it isn't as firm as it used to be, oh well, time for ass play, bend over.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Ok but don't be surprised if the hard rubber from my prosthetic half traps your hand in there forever (wow this thread has gotten hilariously weird).

#BotM

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla165 wrote:Ok but don't be surprised if the hard rubber from my prosthetic half traps your hand in there forever.
Who said anything about a hand? :eh:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Same type of outcome applies for any other body part.

#BotM

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla165 wrote:Same type of outcome applies for any other body part.
*Shoves Gigan's foot up*
Hmm... nope this is a different outcome.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Thank you, now I have a fully prosthetic ass. Good thing is that my ass is robotic, so I can now fart masers.

#BotM

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I actually have a certain belief about kaiju beams. Explosive force means jack shit in most situations.

We see kaiju wade though huge explosions in their everyday rampages. We see them tank military missiles that can rival many kaiju beams in explosive quality. Yet they all do absolutely nothing to kaiju. I belive that when kaiju hurt eachother with beams, it has absolutely nothing to do with the explosion the beam causes, in most circumstances.

It's the heat.

Kaiju hide is tough. Very tough. Explosions can't generally damage it, but extreme heat does. Most kaiju beams are heat based, and I belive that it is their Extream heat that allows them to breach kaiju defences.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Sure it was hot but it looked crap.
84-95

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

i felt NO power behind it
Resized Image

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

^^Agreed. I personally can't judge its power because we only saw it used briefly on an inanimate object. It would be interesting to see it used against another kaiju tho
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah: