Kiryu Saga Love/Hate

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kiryu Saga Love/Hate

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:I find them by FAR the least enjoyable Mechagodzilla movies. And thats' coming from someone who only ranks one MG movie in the top half of the series. I love the character, but I consider Terror of Mechagodzilla the only really good movie in which he was ever used. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II I find passable but unspectacular, and the Kiryu films at this point come in below ever GFW as my absolute least favorite movies in the whole series.
So what you're saying is that you're not crazy for cannons?
bleep bloop

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

eabaker wrote:I find them by FAR the least enjoyable Mechagodzilla movies. And thats' coming from someone who only ranks one MG movie in the top half of the series. I love the character, but I consider Terror of Mechagodzilla the only really good movie in which he was ever used. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II I find passable but unspectacular, and the Kiryu films at this point come in below ever GFW as my absolute least favorite movies in the whole series.
I do like all the Mecha movies in some form. I think I like the Kyriu saga because of the human stories. I can relate to them both real well. I think Terror of Mechagodzilla has the better monster action our of all of them.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:
I do like all the Mecha movies in some form. I think I like the Kyriu saga because of the human stories. I can relate to them both real well. I think Terror of Mechagodzilla has the better monster action our of all of them.
See, while I find the human stories in the Kiryu films conceptually interesting, their actual execution I find so lifeless and sloppy that it seems downright insulting to the audience.

By contrast, the human(/alien/cyborg) story in ToMG very relatable and engaging. Although the set-up may be outlandish, the emotional core of it is classic human drama.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. is a very stereotypical Godzilla movie if you think about it. It only needs King Ghidorah to have the holy trinity of overused monsters. The human drama is a huge step below that of GxM (my third favorite in the series), but at least it has an hour of monster action. Good movie to play in the background when you're doing something.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:
See, while I find the human stories in the Kiryu films conceptually interesting, their actual execution I find so lifeless and sloppy that it seems downright insulting to the audience.

By contrast, the human(/alien/cyborg) story in ToMG very relatable and engaging. Although the set-up may be outlandish, the emotional core of it is classic human drama.
One of the problems I do have with the first Kiryu films is that it takes a similar premise that was done in godzilla vs megaguirus where a female soldier causes the death of a superior and spends the movie basicallt trying to make up for it.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:

One of the problems I do have with the first Kiryu films is that it takes a similar premise that was done in godzilla vs megaguirus where a female soldier causes the death of a superior and spends the movie basicallt trying to make up for it.
Yeah, a studio could get away with that kind of recycling in the days before home video, when audiences wouldn't remember all the specifics of a two year old movie, but these days, it just seems riculously lazy.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I think Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla executed the whole female soldier story quite a bit better. Maybe it was because I really liked the actress Yumiko Shaku that played Akane? That's probably a big part of it.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

GodzillaDude wrote:I think Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla executed the whole female soldier story quite a bit better. Maybe it was because I really liked the actress Yumiko Shaku that played Akane? That's probably a big part of it.

I can agree with that too. That gal from megaguirus was too macho for my tastes and Yumiko seemed much sweeter.
Liam F.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:I think Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla executed the whole female soldier story quite a bit better. Maybe it was because I really liked the actress Yumiko Shaku that played Akane? That's probably a big part of it.

I can agree with that too. That gal from megaguirus was too macho for my tastes and Yumiko seemed much sweeter.
And I think that's part of why I prefer the Megaguirus take on it. Misato Tanaka comes off as more angry and broken than does Yumiko Shaku.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:

And I think that's part of why I prefer the Megaguirus take on it. Misato Tanaka comes off as more angry and broken than does Yumiko Shaku.
Yumiko seems stuck in depression.
Liam F.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I don't buy the whole "I'm pretty but nobody likes me" thing. That's totally bogus.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legionmaster wrote:I don't buy the whole "I'm pretty but nobody likes me" thing. That's totally bogus.
That's just because your winning personality has helped you overcome the handicap that is excessive beauty.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:

And I'm completely on the other side of it. I think Shaku's version of it came off as more believable for how the average person would be. You're not all of a sudden more self confident and open to people. You're depressed, feeling alone, out casting yourself. Yeah I know a bit about that lol
SA

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaDude wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:
And I'm completely on the other side of it. I think Shaku's version of it came off as more believable for how the average person would be. You're not all of a sudden more self confident and open to people. You're depressed, feeling alone, out casting yourself. Yeah I know a bit about that lol
I get that, and I agree that it's more believable in a real world context, but I don't think it works as well in the context of the story.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I facepalm at the "Hey, I also only had a plant as a friend!" part every time.
bleep bloop

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

eabaker wrote: I get that, and I agree that it's more believable in a real world context, but I don't think it works as well in the context of the story.
I think it did. It helped me invest more in the character. And Akane could be aggressive and stand up for herself as well, for example when she bent that guy's arm back and slammed him on the table.
Legionmaster wrote:I facepalm at the "Hey, I also only had a plant as a friend!" part every time.
Not really talking about the script here lol More about how the actresses were portrayed and the differences between them.
SA

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

They're not perfect, and they have their groan-worthy moments, but I'm a pretty big fan of both films. I love how stripped down and free of BS Against is. No third party monsters, no trying to cram as much crap into the film as possible to get more people into the theatre, just Godzilla and Kiryu going at it. I also love the idea of Kiryu being built around the skeleton of the original Godzilla. Does it make any sense whatsoever? Nope. Does it make for a great moment when his soul awakens and he takes control of the mechanism and goes on a rampage? Yep. And in Tokyo S.O.S., does it make for what is, hands down, the most beautiful and sad ending in the series since 1954? Absolutely. And aside from Godzilla's suit looking a bit too much like an action figure, the special effects and fight choreography are terrific.

I don't want to sound too biased in favor of the two films, and I'm sure I could think of plenty of things to complain about if I set my mind to it, but after watching them both multiple times, they stand out in my memory very positively.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I like them more than the other Mecha-Godzilla movies in the past. I would've liked to see an epic conclusion to a possible trilogy with this ones, it would've been interesting to see what happens afterwards.
Yooo 8-)

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Hhmmm well I'm just going to say I hate kiryu now because I feel like I hear his freakin name all the time! Don't get me wrong, I still love him but hate him at the same time. Anywho, the G suit(has anyone realized how unspecific that is. I could be talking about gamera or gorgo if I wanted to and no one would no) is kinda stiff I'n the first film but a bit less stiff I'n the second. I'm guessing a little upgrade. Regardless I still live these films and the fights with mothra are really enetertaining!
Resized Image