Favorite Original Millennium Godzilla Series Monster

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Favorite Original Millennium Series Monster

Orga
46%
Megaguirus
25%
Monster X
29%

Total votes: 102

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Favorite Original Millennium Godzilla Series Monster

Post by Arbok »

To counter balance the Heisei topic of the same nature, which is your favorite original monster in the Millennium Godzilla series and why (and yes forms count, so it would be Millennian/Orga and Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah)?

Personally, one of my greatest complaints with the Millennium series was its lack of taking risks (which is really the only way to merit the lack of continuity approach they decided on) and how quickly it devolved into just using the well known characters already established in the franchise.

So I don't really feel passionate about any of the original Millennium characters, and to that point would pick Orga only for the fact that his property stealing bite was at least a new concept rather than being a "fan" of him in particular.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Original Millennium Godzilla Series Monster

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I also went with Orga. Like you said, he at least has a new trait, plus I appreciate that he isn't just another "kinda like other mosnters, but with lots of spikes/bumps." While both of his designs have apparent precedents in American cinema (ID4 and the Rancor), they're unique within the realm of Japanese giants.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Orga, definitely. I've always been a fan of him.

Megaguirus looks really awesome, though.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Hmm, I like Keizer Ghidorah a lot, Monster X is cool, but I prefer Orga to the latter. So I like Monster X's second form, but technically since it's not an option, I'm going to have to go with Orga. He had a very interesting, unexplored role. He always seemed smart, evil, and curious. Always been a big Orga fan. Megaguirus I like too, she's a pretty neat insect queen with a sadistic twist.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Hmm, I never really though about how few original monsters there were in the Millennium series. I'm going with Orga for reasons already mentioned, such as the absorption, shoulder cannon, and lack of spikes/teeth/horns formula.

One thing though about the "risk taking" Arbok mentions: while they did not take risks with new monsters, they did take risks with the roles of monsters in GMK. Sure its only one movie of the 6 and it is an aspect which is much criticized, but I loved the role reversal of Ghidorah and non-traditional take on Mothra.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

darkcancer wrote:One thing though about the "risk taking" Arbok mentions: while they did not take risks with new monsters, they did take risks with the roles of monsters in GMK. Sure its only one movie of the 6 and it is an aspect which is much criticized, but I loved the role reversal of Ghidorah and non-traditional take on Mothra.
I guess if you look at it in a certain way, shoehorning is always "risk taking."

Anyone who's been around this forum for a while should know that I obviously side with Megaguirus. She's super cool, not at all like Battra (every spikey insect isn't Battra, not is Battra the first spikey insect), and, for the first time in a while, she's a monster that actually has a personality.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legionmaster wrote: Anyone who's been around this forum for a while should know that I obviously side with Megaguirus. She's super cool, not at all like Battra (every spikey insect isn't Battra, not is Battra the first spikey insect), and, for the first time in a while, she's a monster that actually has a personality.
Although there are certain superficial similarities between Battra and Megaguirus, the fact that the latter is a (relatively) logical advanced stage of a monster introduced in 1956 should protect her from any claims of being derived from Battra.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Huh, now that I see a list of original Millennium monsters (such a shame there are only three) I realise I don't particularly like any of them. Although I guess I dislike Orga the least; I'd like him a lot more of his giant claws could actually move.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Orga, big time.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Orga for me.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Orga hands down.
I think he could have potenial to return in another movie.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shadow wrote:Orga hands down.
I think he could have potenial to return in another movie.
For sure. There's a lot of unrealized story potential there.

Really, Orga's initial form should have been revealed at least half an hour earlier in the movie, for an intial battle with Godzilla, after which he could have used the genetic information he'd gathered to advance to his second form, which then should have been allowed to do some solo damage before the climactic confrontation.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I picked Orga. I've always liked him he looks pretty scary and menacing. I would have liked if he had a bigger role in Godzilla 2000.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

I love Orga, but Megaguirus is one of my favourite 'bug' kaiju designs.

I suppose, if one is being technical, Megaguirus isn't really original though, since she is the queen of the Meganulon who first appeared in Rodan. For all intents and purposes, though, she is original.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Just by appearances I would have to go with Monster X. Just a pretty cool looking character but his execution I have to say was poor.
Orga I like but I think he was underplayed. Imagine if he had fired his plasma canon, absorbed Godzilla's DNA then fired a mix Atomic ray/energy beam from his shoulder. That I think would have made the movie but alas, he decided to EAT Godzilla. Anyway with originality, Orga wins.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Orga: Favorite in the Millenium era. His Power of absorbing other DNA is just awesome.

Monster X: Coolest looking monster in the Millenium series but he was used badly.

Megaguirus: Ok monster, she has her moments and i liked how we got to see her origins tied with Meganulons from Rodan.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Legion1979 wrote:Don't like any of them. At all.
Same here, but if I had to pick one, it would be Megaguirus. I have no love for Orga and especially none for Monster X. I am surprised Orga is currently the top favorite on this list.
Giga Kaiju wrote:Megaguirus... i liked how we got to see her origins tied with Meganulons from Rodan.
Interesting. I never thought of it that way. Hmm, Rodan versus Megaguirus, eh? ;)
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Why Orga on the top of your list, though? :eh: I'm curious what the appeal is.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Orga certainly has the most potential. As a character, I felt the film downplayed that potential. Here we have an alien organism attempting in vain to become a stronger life form. Not many fans know that Orga was in agony, because his assimilation of Godzilla's DNA wasn't a success. This makes him a tragic character, one that could've gained more sympathy if the story was better. Orga deserves a second shot at making a return someday.

Megaguirus has more personality, it's true. She's a sadistic, cunning wench. I'm always entertained when I watch her battle Godzilla. Her abilities are unique and not convoluted. They make sense in the context of her character. Like Orga, I think she deserves a return.

Monster X is, well, boring. I get he's a sadistic, powerful badass. Too bad we didn't get more time to show what else he could do. To test his significance as a character, ask yourself this: Could you replace Monster X's role with any other kaiju? And if so, would this have a big impact on the plot? He's easily replaceable because it wouldn't have changed the plot.

I'm leaning towards Megaguirus. Her character was executed very well.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Orga, definitely. Megaguirus in close second, and I don't care for Monster X at all.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?