Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by latinothor »

This review by James Rolfe is one of my favorite reviews of Godzilla Final Wars. I agree with most of what is said in the video. I would place Godzilla Final Wars as #2 right after the original Godzilla instead of Godzilla vs Guidora, but that is just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXCwp2O ... x=11&t=15s

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

latinothor wrote:a movie that was way ahead of its time.
I'd say that it's precisely of its time. The tone and style strike me as aggressively early-2000s.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it's ahead of it's time in terms of scope and budget, even if it flopped. There's a bigger sense of scale and globe trotting that other films never did with the exception of DAM, and that was only slightly. It is also one of the most cinematically shot films. Shin G destroys it in every single way but Final Wars definitively looked more cinematic than GXM or Tokyo SOS.

I used to get into arguments a lot about GFW, and while I've grown to despise an OP Godzilla, I think I love the film for how over the top and crazy it is. It's so stylized, even if not in a great way, but it's really fun.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think it's ahead of it's time in terms of scope and budget, even if it flopped. There's a bigger sense of scale and globe trotting that other films never did with the exception of DAM, and that was only slightly. It is also one of the most cinematically shot films. Shin G destroys it in every single way but Final Wars definitively looked more cinematic than GXM or Tokyo SOS.

I used to get into arguments a lot about GFW, and while I've grown to despise an OP Godzilla, I think I love the film for how over the top and crazy it is. It's so stylized, even if not in a great way, but it's really fun.
I'm not sure what "ahead of its time in scope and budget" means. But you seem to be talking about it specifically relative to previous Godzilla films, where I read the initial statement as meaning that it was ahead of cinema as a whole at the time.

And "more cinematic than GXM or Tokyo SOS" is really saying pretty much nothing at all. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Honestly I think this is the movie with the most missed potential of the whole franchise

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Zarm wrote: I think it would be fascinating if someone within Toho ever took it upon themselves to write a guidebook or somesuch and actually try to quantify all the relative power-levels and abilities displayed in Final Wars.
Here's a good read, of a measuring of the explosion of the atomic spiral red ray against Keizer Guidora in space:

http://www.t5forums.com/forum/the-vs-se ... y-accepted

Enjoy!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

latinothor wrote:Here's a good read, of a measuring of the explosion of the atomic spiral red ray against Keizer Guidora in space:

http://www.t5forums.com/forum/the-vs-se ... y-accepted

Enjoy!
Awesome- thanks!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

A bit off topic, but can someone help me? Trying to find a screencap of Godzilla and Minilla swimming away at the end of the film. I can see it vividly in my head, them both coming towards the camera, the screen had a blue tint to it (not the scene with them going towards the sun), but I can't find it ANYwhere on google.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Maritonic wrote:A bit off topic, but can someone help me? Trying to find a screencap of Godzilla and Minilla swimming away at the end of the film. I can see it vividly in my head, them both coming towards the camera, the screen had a blue tint to it (not the scene with them going towards the sun), but I can't find it ANYwhere on google.
This part?

This is the only scene of them from the front as they swim out to sea. Also, the whole movie has a blue tint to it :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yeah that part but I swear that there was a shot of them more close up. (Also, yeah you're totally right lol)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Alternatively, forgot there was also this part at the wayyyy end of the credits.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That first picture seems more appropriate. Our hero wading off into the sunset, based on the orange of the sea.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Godzillian wrote:Honestly I think this is the movie with the most missed potential of the whole franchise
What potential? :lol:

FW is an anniversary event that celebrates the silliness of Tokusatsu.
It wasn't supposed to be taken seriously in any way.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I'm watching this movie again, right now. And all I can think is that, it had SO much potential. But no, they dropped the friggin ball SO HARD!!! And, reading an article about this movie, from a few years back, it seems like the director really wasn't taking this all that seriously. From what I understand, a lot off what he said about the franchise, and it's fans, was meant to mock everyone. Kind of a shame. I think this had all the ingredients of a really good Godzilla film. Unfortunately, it's horrible... Even by Godzilla standards. That being said, this specific Godzilla design ages like wine for me. I used to hate it, but I've started to really like it with the passing years.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

KingKaiju wrote:And, reading an article about this movie, from a few years back, it seems like the director really wasn't taking this all that seriously. From what I understand, a lot off what he said about the franchise, and it's fans, was meant to mock everyone. Kind of a shame.
What article was that? I would love to read it.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

szmigiel wrote: What article was that? I would love to read it.
https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/be ... final-wars

This whole series was really good. Lots of insight on these films.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, that honestly sounds almost exactly like Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin's comments during production of the 1998 film.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The director was an ass who thought he was better then he was

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KingKaiju wrote:
szmigiel wrote: What article was that? I would love to read it.
https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/be ... final-wars

This whole series was really good. Lots of insight on these films.
Thanks for posting this. REALLY interesting read on the Millennium series.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Np! I didn't even know about those articles until about a month ago. Great reads! I love inside looks at these films.