Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Billzilla1974 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Ikr, he should have had 20 minute faux-martial arts fights so people like you could pretend such isn't stupid as all hell.
That's honestly a better, more entertaining use of 20 minutes than watching useless, extra thick suits do nothing but stare at each other while the special effects guy has a field day, so that people like you can pretend such isn't even dumber when it's trying to be super serious.
FW is trying to be super serious? Wat
^^I meant compared to Heisei, but I probably should've specified that.
Since this is getting us nowhere, I think its best if we just agree to disagree.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
*Final wars did have Godzilla using his ray a lot, but not nearly as much as the Heisei Godzilla did.*
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Billzilla1974 wrote: ^^I meant compared to Heisei, but I probably should've specified that.
Oh. Yes, you should have specified that you wanted post something off-topic in the thread.

Anywho, who wants to talk about the delirious good fun of FW?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote: ^^I meant compared to Heisei, but I probably should've specified that.
Oh. Yes, you should have specified that you wanted post something off-topic in the thread.

Anywho, who wants to talk about the delirious good fun of FW?
that's not off topic, this is off topic:
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Guys! This stops now! We are not going off topic.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Like I said earlier, I consider Godzilla Final Wars a masterpiece.

It's not a movie trying to have a political/social meaning. Seriously, leave that to the ORIGINAL Gojira masterpiece. It was a great allegory back then, but to try and do that again by using special effects and giants monsters to prove a social point, in this time and age, makes me raise an eye brow.

Final Wars is entertaining. The vast number of subtle tributes and Easter eggs to the whole franchise reminds me of the visual masterpiece of the graphic novel Watchmen.

Gojira is The Godfather of the franchise. With a serious, dramatic overall tone.
Final Wars is the Scarface of the Godzilla series. A over the top, and adrenaline-filled movie.

The monster designs for the most part are great. The music is really good (I wish it would be Linking Park instead of that one Canadian band to bring some good Rock to the movie though). Kitamura went out of his way of only using Showa-era monsters, and added Godzilla 1998 as service to the fans (And I am very grateful for that).

People complaining about the short battles don't understand that the monsters were used as cameos as another service to fans only. They are not the center of the plot. The one big fight was saved for last, and it was magnificent.

My taste is closer to the well-known James from Cinemassacre. Only difference is that I would switch places 2 and 3, as I consider Final Wars the best in the franchise after the original Gojira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktt2zSJ_rB8&t=169s

InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Post by InnocentClarke »

I mean, I view Final Wars with antipathy. I watched it, might watch it again a small handful more times in my life when I'm in a very particular mood, but otherwise it's really not good enough for me to want to watch with the same regularity I do some of the other Godzilla films. For me, the only things I particularly like about it are some of the monster fights (especially the /Rodan/Anguirus/King Caesar one), Minilla (him trying to drive the truck always makes me laugh pretty hard), Gigan's new look, the return of several older Toho veterans, Don Frye, and a few other choice moments (Godzilla standing amidst a huge crater; his look of disgust with the humans and Minilla at the very end; his first instinct upon being freed from the ice being to blow up the two humans). The rest of the film's runtime is something that fails to really hold my attention. Was any of the Matrix-style human action scenes necessary or good? No. The only human action scene I liked was Don Frye handling the two female Xiliens. He's just too awesome not to like.

Otherwise, the film's just a waste and easily one of the weakest in the franchise, no doubt.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

latinothor wrote:(I wish it would be Linking Park instead of that one Canadian band to bring some good Rock to the movie though).
You mean Linkin Park? :lol: And Sum 41 is "that one Canadian band". Not a fan of either, but using Linkin Park would have made that scene come off as even more comical than it already was.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This is the type of shit that makes final wars cringey and objectively bad :D
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Welp, that's one way of making something that's already terrible even worse. Final Wars with an extra side of cringe!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Maaan, I love Final Wars too, but the Buttrock AMV's aren't doing it any favors :lol:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I'll never understand the obsession of combining Final Wars with Linking Park. The forced edginess is so cringe worthy.

#BotM

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I like Final Wars....but I hate the American bands that play in the movie. There fucking terrible! Although I do like some of the soundtrack.

Added in 1 hour 42 minutes 33 seconds:
This is the type of shit that makes final wars cringey and objectively bad :D
Both Linkin Park And Sum 51 are shitty bands, when
They play in Final Wars they are by far the cringests parts.

If Final Wars is objectively bad...then almost all Godzilla movie's are objectively bad movies. Several of the problems Final Wars has are present almost in every Godzilla film! Shoddy writing and acting..etc. Personally I think the acting and writing in final wars is actually GOOD and better then most Godzilla movies, so it doesn't even have those problems.
Last edited by godzilla5417 on Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

godzilla5417 wrote:Both Linkin Park And Sum 51 are shitty bands, when
They play in Final Wars they are by far the cringests parts.
Sum 41 is the only band that plays in the movie.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I have a question...

So the only humans left on the planet at the end of the movie were the primary cast and the kid and his grandpa, yes?

It was sort of established in the film that most of the human race was killed off, but it wasn't set in stone. The black guy at the Godzilla containment facility in Antarctica implied that they were some of the only humans left, but otherwise I don't think it was really set in stone.

Can anyone confirm?
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't think so. Major cities were devastated, but the Xilliens planned to harvest humans for their mitochondria and turn them into breeding-stock cattle. So I don't think they'd have killed off their food stock. I suspect there weren't kaiju or Xilliens to accomplish that kind of genocide, either. If I had to guess, it'd be a lot like Independance Day. Tokyo, New York, and London are a wasteland, but Kansas, the plains of Zimbabwe, and the suburbs outside of Kyoto, for instance, would hardly have seen any damage (Unless a kaiju stomped his way through on the way to a major population center).

So, a lot of dead city folk, but a majority of the planet still intact (and a moderate amount of the population, depending on how much of the densely-populated regions managed to evacuate).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Ehh. I like this movie, but it just doesn't come close to the Heisei movies for me. Godzilla was to OP. Keizer Ghidorah/Monster X was stupid IMO Gigan looks cool but is stupid. Half the monsters are barely on screen Ala Hedorah. Mothra felt like a last minute addition and I found the matrix ripoff stupid as the movie could have used that time for monster fights. I just don't feel like this was the best send off for the big G. They could have easily made this better by having an all out monster battle with everyone against Godzilla and Mothra, with King Ghidorah instead of Kaiser. If Godzilla was going to be OP at least make him fight all the monsters at once. Overall I like it. But it's not my favorite

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Godzilla fighting all monsters at once would not translate well for The King.

A better scenario would be a team consisting of Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, King Caesar, Mothra and Jet Jaguar against the bad guys.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

latinothor wrote:Godzilla fighting all monsters at once would not translate well for The King.

A better scenario would be a team consisting of Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, King Caesar, Mothra and Jet Jaguar against the bad guys.
That's lame

I'd much rather The King get jumped by a shitton of monsters and rip him apart
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I'd much rather The King get jumped by a shitton of monsters and rip him apart
Savage :g64: