Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Sorry for the crud quality but here it is https://imgur.com/a/FNSjrlU.

Had to rip it from a really low quality youtube vid. :lol:
He Jock it Made of Steel

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

On the subject of Keizer Ghidorah, this is a minor point, but I don’t get why they didn’t just call him King Ghidorah.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Garzon wrote:On the subject of Keizer Ghidorah, this is a minor point, but I don’t get why they didn’t just call him King Ghidorah.
Cause Keizer means Emperor. I think they wanted to establish this was no ordinary Ghidorah but like the Ghidorah above all Ghidorah to cement him as Godzilla's greatest enemy for the final fight of the OG Series. If my memory hasn't betrayed me.

Plus different biology and all that.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

godjacob wrote:
Garzon wrote:On the subject of Keizer Ghidorah, this is a minor point, but I don’t get why they didn’t just call him King Ghidorah.
Cause Keizer means Emperor. I think they wanted to establish this was no ordinary Ghidorah but like the Ghidorah above all Ghidorah to cement him as Godzilla's greatest enemy for the final fight of the OG Series. If my memory hasn't betrayed me.

I know it means emperor, but GFW was the big 50th anniversary film. I think it would’ve been more appropriate for Godzilla’s final opponent in his 50th anniversary movie to be his most famous nemesis in classic form (with a size update, obviously).

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Terasawa wrote:More monsters? They were barely interested in featuring more than half of the ones they used.
Exactly, it's funny and sad at the same time lol
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Garzon wrote:
godjacob wrote:

I know it means emperor, but GFW was the big 50th anniversary film. I think it would’ve been more appropriate for Godzilla’s final opponent in his 50th anniversary movie to be his most famous nemesis in classic form (with a size update, obviously).
:?

Don't ask me man, I would have preferred a modified version of classic Ghidorah for the anniversary but I presume they wanted a form that "fit" more with Monster X's design so that is why they rolled with Keizer Ghidorah.

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I like the Antarctica battle with Gigan, specially because of the lightning, scenario and others things, iconic. I like the Zilla fight too, because it's SO dumb and looks like exactly what an 12 years old would do if they had the control of a Godzilla movie, it's so bad it's good. So much fun
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I kinda like the fact that Keizer Ghidorah/Monster X exists, I'm kinda tired of King Ghidorah. But i wish it was better designed and had a better execution too, it looks like stiff as Destoroyah and has wings even smaller than Destoroyah.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

So I found the Interview in G-Fan #55 from Mar/Apr 2002. The interview was conducted by J.D. Lee and the translator was Robert Scott Field. This was just after the release of GMK and in the interview they are talking about the 3 new experimental movies (G2k,GXM,GMK).

JD asks this Question "If we consider G2000, GxM, and GMK as three "streets," which street do you want to continue on, or do you want to change again?"
Shogo Tomiyama responded "I want to take the street the customers, the fans, would want to walk down. In the 1995 movie (Godzilla vs Destoroyah), there was another street we were walking down. I want you to remember that."
JD "I do remember that. Is that still an option, to return to the 1995 timeline?"
Shogo Tomiyama "Yes, instead of three, there are four we could walk down."

So long before Final Wars, in fact before GXMG and G:TSOS Tomiyama mentions they could return to the Heisei timeline. Hardly proof of a Godzilla Jr lead GFW draft. If that was what they wanted they they should never have hired Ryuhei Kitamura since he told them before they hired him that he didn't care for the 80's and 90's Godzilla films. http://robojapan.blogspot.com/2014/04/r ... -wars.html

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

szmigiel wrote:So I found the Interview in G-Fan #55 from Mar/Apr 2002. The interview was conducted by J.D. Lee and the translator was Robert Scott Field. This was just after the release of GMK and in the interview they are talking about the 3 new experimental movies (G2k,GXM,GMK).

JD asks this Question "If we consider G2000, GxM, and GMK as three "streets," which street do you want to continue on, or do you want to change again?"
Shogo Tomiyama responded "I want to take the street the customers, the fans, would want to walk down. In the 1995 movie (Godzilla vs Destoroyah), there was another street we were walking down. I want you to remember that."
JD "I do remember that. Is that still an option, to return to the 1995 timeline?"
Shogo Tomiyama "Yes, instead of three, there are four we could walk down."

So long before Final Wars, in fact before GXMG and G:TSOS Tomiyama mentions they could return to the Heisei timeline. Hardly proof of a Godzilla Jr lead GFW draft. If that was what they wanted they they should never have hired Ryuhei Kitamura since he told them before they hired him that he didn't care for the 80's and 90's Godzilla films. http://robojapan.blogspot.com/2014/04/r ... -wars.html
That's so interesting, a bit weird too, but cool anyway.
Can you imagine if Toho revisits the Heisei timeline sometime? It would be great.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

When Godzilla keeps on winning ^

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Its weird how 2019's King of the Monsters was the first time we had the big four (Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Rodan) all in a movie together in their most classic forms.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster KINDA gave us this, but Mothra was a larva the whole time, so we didn't get to see a fully realized Mothra. Destroy All Monsters had the same situation.

Then in Final Wars, we KINDA get it...heck this movie is actually the first time Rodan and Adult Mothra appear in the same film...except its not really the classic King Ghidorah, but Keizer Ghidorah. So its a new bigger, badder, better Ghidorah (or so they'd want us to think)....but it feels like a new monster and not the classic Ghidorah.

Its just strange because those four were the Mount Rushmore of Toho monsters to me, and it took until 2019 to truly get all four of them in a movie.

Now if we could just get one with Mechagodzilla along with those four...lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

When gigan used his blade slicers and it sliced his own head off and i always thought of him saying "Aw shoot." and his head falls off. I always laughed at that moment.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

GojiDog wrote:Its weird how 2019's King of the Monsters was the first time we had the big four (Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Rodan) all in a movie together in their most classic forms.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster KINDA gave us this, but Mothra was a larva the whole time, so we didn't get to see a fully realized Mothra. Destroy All Monsters had the same situation.

Then in Final Wars, we KINDA get it...heck this movie is actually the first time Rodan and Adult Mothra appear in the same film...except its not really the classic King Ghidorah, but Keizer Ghidorah. So its a new bigger, badder, better Ghidorah (or so they'd want us to think)....but it feels like a new monster and not the classic Ghidorah.

Its just strange because those four were the Mount Rushmore of Toho monsters to me, and it took until 2019 to truly get all four of them in a movie.

Now if we could just get one with Mechagodzilla along with those four...lol.
And don't forget Anguirus! I don't think he gets enough credit as it is!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Ya know, I used to really dislike the FinalGoji suit. But as time goes by, even though I feel the same about this film, I'm starting to REALLY like this design.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingKaiju wrote:Ya know, I used to really dislike the FinalGoji suit. But as time goes by, even though I feel the same about this film, I'm starting to REALLY like this design.
I like it a lot actually. I think the people that complain about it being "rat faced" or being too skinny are ridiculous. It's a lot less stiff than the one used for the kiryu saga which is good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Ya know, I used to really dislike the FinalGoji suit. But as time goes by, even though I feel the same about this film, I'm starting to REALLY like this design.
I like it a lot actually. I think the people that complain about it being "rat faced" or being too skinny are ridiculous. It's a lot less stiff than the one used for the kiryu saga which is good.
There’s something about it that I really like, especially as time’s passed. It’s like a cool mix of the Heisei, Showa, and millennium suits.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I absolutely love FinalGoji, one of my favorite designs, if not my favorite design still.

#BotM

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Final Wars was my first film so I will always have a place in my heart for it, warts and all.

As for "Rat face", IMO, if it just had a more 1954 like face and spines, it'd be one of the best suits in the eyes of the fandom. As it is, it's a fun new take.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:As for "Rat face", IMO, if it just had a more 1954 like face and spines, it'd be one of the best suits in the eyes of the fandom. As it is, it's a fun new take.
Personally, face is the first and most important thing I take into account when judging a G-suits face. So, "if it had a different face and spines" is kind of like saying, "Well, if this president just had significantly different policies on the majority of issues..." ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.