Millennium series: Your way

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SpiralRay
Ronin

Re: Millennium series: Your way

Post by SpiralRay »

The One and Only wrote:SpiralRay Presents:GODZILLA:THE CLONE SAGA, or, GODZILLA:MAXIMUM CLONAGE.
Also, thumbs up to Tohosaurus' GODZILLA:RED TERROR.
The Clone Saga is a decent title. Not sure about Maximum Clonage though :lol:

I would have just called it Godzilla: Final Battle or something like that though. I would have wanted the millenium series to close out with something like that instead of, you know, Final Wars. Hated seeing the awesome-looking Millenium Godzilla job to Kiryu.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

eabaker wrote:I was disappointed that the Millennium series didn't include a solo Godzilla movie. Monster fights are great and all, but, in the end, it's Godzilla's impact on humanity (and vice versa) that I find most interesting.

If I had studio backing, I would make a very somber solo Godzilla movie, possibly even a borderline apocalyptic one.
Yeah. I really wanted a movie with just Godzilla himself.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

Draven
Young Farmer

Post by Draven »

I would have kept godzilla 2000, gmk and the kiryus with some minor tweaking. I was a little annoyed with how each film was a reboot. They all could have tied in together, perhaps utilizing the idea of godzilla as the embodiment of ww2 spirits. The first film in the series could have started as a solo Godzilla romp with no fights. The next film would have scientists discovering more about him like in 2000, and could use this knowledge in a third film, creating kiryu. And a fourth film could be more like gmk or finals wars, with other monsters stepping in to battle the big g. An ongoing storyline through all the films would also make for stronger human characters as well as their relationships with one another.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

A third Kiryu movie and GAV:Godzilla, Anguirus and Varan Giant Monsters All-out Attack 2 and a Godzilla Final Wars more focused on Godzilla without super soldiers and Matrix crap.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Ahem, Yumiko Shaku shower scenes.
A better FW, but with the essentials: Godzilla PWNing Zilla.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Shadow wrote:Ahem, Yumiko Shaku shower scenes.
A better FW, but with the essentials: Godzilla PWNing Zilla.
I think it should have been better if GINO was left out of the movie.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote: I think it should have been better if GINO was left out of the movie.
Maybe so, but I enjoy seeing that abomination get what's coming to him.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A more traditional Ghidorah would have fit better in a film loaded with Showa era monsters.

While GMK was a good film, I do wish they would've used Anguirus, Varan, and Baragon. Mixing it up with little used and/or new kaiju keeps things interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Me too, actually. Could have been a lot better that way.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I never really liked how Godzilla ended up losing to Kiryu. I also thought that the way that series went, it was begging for a third film wherein Godzilla would finally score a decisive victory over Kiryu.
Really? 'Cause Godzilla was given no emotion (like Showa Godzilla) nor motivation (like post '93 Heisei Godzilla) to beat the crapola outta his foe, who was not only obviously the hero but the first Godzilla.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

SpiralRay
Ronin

Post by SpiralRay »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:
I never really liked how Godzilla ended up losing to Kiryu. I also thought that the way that series went, it was begging for a third film wherein Godzilla would finally score a decisive victory over Kiryu.
Really? 'Cause Godzilla was given no emotion (like Showa Godzilla) nor motivation (like post '93 Heisei Godzilla) to beat the crapola outta his foe, who was not only obviously the hero but the first Godzilla.
My opinion is if you name a movie series after a certain character, that character should eventually get the win.

If the first movie was called "Rise of Kiryu" and the second movie was called "Kiryu: To The Death" or something, then he'd have the right to win. Hell, he would be expected to win because the movies would be named after him. Having two straight "Godzilla" movies where Godzilla loses kind of misses the point. When it comes to monsters, Godzilla is the main character. The other Kaiju are opponents.

Godzilla being unable to beat Kiryu in two movies is basically the same as if they filmed three straight Rocky movies and had him never beat the Champion and win the title.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'd have 2000, Megagurius, both Kiryu films and GFW all strung tightly together, with Kiryu replacing Atoragon in the last film, as well as keeping G54 and G85 canon. I'm not sure what'd happen to GMK. I like it, but you can't string it into the others.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Dr. Johnson
Yojimbo

Post by Dr. Johnson »

I would have made everything between Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Final Wars not suck.
Godzilla has a brain about this size, he's sheer brute force, while Kong... is a thinking animal.

Dr. Johnson
Yojimbo

Post by Dr. Johnson »

Let's see Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Final Wars are both in my Top 10. Megaguirus is a SyFy-type movie, GMK is a piss-poor attempt at being "edgy and thoughtful", against Mechagodzilla is a boring drama, and Tokyo SOS is even worse. So yes, you read correctly.
Godzilla has a brain about this size, he's sheer brute force, while Kong... is a thinking animal.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Dr. Johnson wrote:Let's see Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Final Wars are both in my Top 10. Megaguirus is a SyFy-type movie, GMK is a piss-poor attempt at being "edgy and thoughtful", against Mechagodzilla is a boring drama, and Tokyo SOS is even worse. So yes, you read correctly.
Hmm, I like that. Against Mechagodzilla was pretty boring and dull, with Tokyo SOS being a complete rehash. GMK upon its third watching really loses its edge as the viewer begins to see the faults. Megaguirus is not a great movie, but I enjoy it. 2000 is a pretty solid one in my opinion, with Final Wars being the complete opposite of the Kiryu films, fun and entertaining.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Dr. Johnson wrote: GMK is a piss-poor attempt at being "edgy and thoughtful''
Said the guy with Final Wars in his top 10.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^When does FW ever attempt to be edgy and thoughtful?

And what's wrong with him preferring two films to four others?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GMK is a decent movie but I can completely understand why people would dislike it.

GFW succeeds at almost everything it tries to do (besides the obvious bit) but it just doesn't have the best goals in mind.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

To sum it up, I would've picked up where Godzilla VS. Destoroyah left off, Godzilla Junior taking the throne. As an Anti-hero like his Hesei father, he would've fought New Monsters and Minor, least used and less known Toho Monsters like (for example) Varan, Megalon, Manda, Baragon, Hedorah, and Ebirah. At one point, he would've met and bumped into a Rodan, who would've been son or daughter of the Hesei Rodan, and ally him. Also, I would bring in Anguirus, Gorosaurus, and/or a new Dinosaur Kaiju and ally Godzilla, forming a Dino union, and fight any Monster that get in their way. However, they wouldn't be straight down bad guys, but not heroes, and more like Anti-Heroes like Godzilla Jr. I would've concluded the Franchise similar to Destroy All Monsters, An Mind-Controlling Alien Race invades the world, and use their own Monsters AND Earth's Monsters (Godzilla, his allies, and reserrected Villians) to attack cities and civillians. However, in the movie, Godzilla Jr becomes Burning Godzilla. In the climax of the movie, as the Militaries around the Globe fight Alien UFOs and ships, Godzilla's allies would've fought the Alien Monsters and rematched Villian Monsters on Earth while Godzilla was going to fight their Boss Monster at the Mothership, which instead of King Ghidorah, it would've been a resurrected and re-incarnated Destoroyah, a Final rematch. In the ending, at the moment of Nuking himself, Godzilla would've sacrified his life and blows up on the Mothership, killing all the Aliens. Then on Earth, all the Alien Monsters and Resurrected Villian Monsters got discontrolled, and Godzila's allies kill them all.
Yooo 8-)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ You do realize that your idea kind of misses the whole point of the Millennium films, don't you?

I'm not saying your idea is particularly good or bad, but the Millennium films were basically meant to be a clean slate for Godzilla.