Millennium series: Your way

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Re: Millennium series: Your way

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

It would've been preferable if this era started in 2004 like originally planned, but assuming Toho still starts it in 1999

All the films are in the same continuty:

- Godzilla 2000
Don't let Takao Okawara direct
Vaguely acknowledge and cherry pick events from the Showa and Heisei era to form a loose continuity with events that happened between 1954 and 1999.
G-Force starts construction on a new Mechagodzilla called Kiryu at the end.

- Godzilla Vs Megaguirus

- Godzilla: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Instead of Mothra and King Ghidorah again, it's Godzilla, Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon teaming up against an original Kaiju powered by the souls of WWII dead people.
Godzilla is a protagonist and his role in GMK is given to the original Kaiju.

- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
G-Force finishes construction on Kiryu
Everything is pretty much the same

- Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Keep the female lead from GxMG
More compelling story.

- Godzilla Final Wars
Pretty much the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the film we got in everyway from story to overall tone.
Bring back Masaaki Tezuka from GxMG and Tokyo SOS as director.
Kiryu is one of the Kaiju controlled by the aliens.
During the final battle where Earth's Kaiju start losing, he goes berserk again and the 1954 Godzilla takes control to help defeat Kaiser Ghidorah.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I just would've liked for Toho to put more time and money into Kaneko's GMK. It's fantastic but I can see how it also fell victim to the typical Godzilla production deadlines. The rest... I suppose I appreciate them for what they are, though some certainly lacked flair. (...though there were others with a bit too much *ahem* GFW...)
'And yet another one?'

Dracostar44
Samurai

Post by Dracostar44 »

I like the millennium series although the only think i would change would be Godzilla's revival in GMK. Instead of having the lost souls of world war 2 reviving/possessing him. I would go with something like this "50 years after the death of Godzilla many have forgotten or want to remember the tragedy that took place in 1954, However within the depths of Tokyo Bay lies the restless spirit of Gojira regenerating an entire new body, to continued what he started in 1954 ; the destruction of Japan
Why be king when you can be God

Piccolo
Ronin

Post by Piccolo »

I liked the Millennium series. I am not sure what I would change. Maybe a different finale. Godzilla: Final Wars is a crazy movie and fun the first time you see it, but in my opinion it does not have much replay value. I like the lack of continuity in the Millennium series. It allowed the filmmakers to experiment a bit. I actually wish they had experimented more. For example in Godzilla vs Megaguirus, I wish the filmmakers had made the submersion of Tokyo more prominent in the plot to give the sense that we are entering a world different from our own, somewhat like the way the Showa films had concepts like Monster Island that clearly don't exist in real life but help to create a unique "world" for the monsters to operate in.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Dracostar44 wrote:I like the millennium series although the only think i would change would be Godzilla's revival in GMK. Instead of having the lost souls of world war 2 reviving/possessing him. I would go with something like this "50 years after the death of Godzilla many have forgotten or want to remember the tragedy that took place in 1954, However within the depths of Tokyo Bay lies the restless spirit of Gojira regenerating an entire new body, to continued what he started in 1954 ; the destruction of Japan
Actually, he isn't possessed.
kpa wrote:
Toxic Toast wrote:What dialogue in GMK do you think states that spirits motivated Godzilla's '54 attack?
I don't recall if there are any specific lines of dialogue in GMK that say that. But In the original film, Godzilla's attacks weren't random "animal on the loose" rampages like in the 1933 KING KONG and other American monster movies, but were patterned on a military invasion (Godzilla attacks shipping, then appears on an island off Japan, then begins nighttime raids on the mainland, then burns a city from one end to the other). As I explained in my previous post, Japanese moviegoers and film historians recognized this and offered the "spirits" as a possible interpretation of Godzilla's motivation all the way back to the 1950s. Shusuke Kaneko based the story of GMK on this interpretation, with GMK's Godzilla being the same creature as the original.

And in GMK, characters do ask why Godzilla specifically attacked Japan rather than other countries before and why he would attack Japan now... one of the military officials even makes a joke that Godzilla must hate Japan. The "war dead" theory is later offered as an explanation.

There are also production info and interviews about the film (in particular the excellent "Making of GMK" issue of Japanese Giants) that give more details than what is stated in the film itself.
Godzilla

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

In a gutsier way, I would directly tie it to the 1998 film and the animated series to give a huge infusion of life into the static franchise. In fact, in this universe, Godzilla as a concept refers to any giant radioactive lizard that breathes fire and has a killing towards the people that created it. While the other series referred to a creature that was a living fossil awakened, this is an alternate take.

1954: A creature named after a mythological being attacks Tokyo. A massive cover-up ensures Daikaiju to stay as purely myth and conspiracy theory and over decades as most died from the radioactive poisoning or are sworn to secrecy, Godzilla is forgotten. The people at Odo Island are treated as crazy rural hicks who have overactive imaginations by the majority of the Japanese and the world.

The Rebirth of Godzilla - 1998. Godzilla attacks New York City and leaves it to hell. Since the original 2000 happened in 1999, allowing 1998 into the Millennium series just makes sense. Instead of Godzilla running away, he runs away and lays waste to the entire 100 mile radius. It is now unlivable. Godzilla's death from unconventional methods discovered from a fireplace in Tokyo leads the Japanese and French to reverse engineer the Oxygen Destroyer, killing the beast.

Only one creature lives among the rubble in an egg recovered by Nick Tatopoulos.

1. Godzilla 2000: The American Godzilla attacks Japan, and the radiation awakens the second Godzilla. An international group known as HEAT finds the Millenian alongside a supposed "crackpot" scientist and his daughter. Cue the usual events of 2000 crossed with a major fight of both Godzillas. It is noted that the older Japanese Godzilla is restrained at fighting the creature whereas the American Godzilla is expending his energy to killing the threat. Neither win and are left to contend with Orga. In the end, the Japanese Godzilla defeats the creature with American Godzilla, and they part ways.

Nick notes that the creatures seem to see each other as family.

2. Godzilla X. Bagorah X. MegaGuirus : Extradimensional Death Knell - The American Godzilla comes in contact with the Giant Bat Bagorah and fights to the shores of San Francisco. On the other side of the world, the Japanese Godzilla is wreaking havoc on Japan enough that a radical group opens up a black hole in order to suck it straight in. Instead, the creatures that come out threaten the whole of society. Scientists find out there was a natural enemy of the Meganula called Rodan, a creature long extinct to the world. Bagorah fights the Meganula and eats a few, only to be overran and eaten by the creature.

American Godzilla ,angered by the death of his ally goes to Japan to aid Godzilla in destroying the nests.

The Japanese Godzilla, frail and oid, dies from the first onslaught of Megaguirus' attack, leaving the American to brutally kill the Megaguirus hordes. A Bagorah swarm begins hunting the insects while Megaguirus flees in defeat.

As it flees, a familiar Pterodactyl kills the creature in a fell swoop. It is a MegaRodan, a creature that is larger than the other Rodans in existence.

The rest of the films would be rewrriten to havethe American Godzilla featured prominently and would be Tristar productions.

3. MechaGodzilla
: Kiryu is based on the CyberGodzilla and the canon Kiryu in the animated series and the films. He is a resurrected creature controlled by the JDSF. Most of the story is the same as Godzilla is attacking the Pacific Rim, pursuing another monster. He is sent against the American Godzilla in hopes to tide the conflict, and for the while, Kiryu goes along with this being that it adopted the creature as its own.

But Godzilla rejects him right up to the final fight, where a battered Kiryu is noticeably heartbroken and escapes from the sight of men, perhaps running its steam out until he dies from his servos shutting down.

It would be co-directed by Shusuke Kaneko and Roland Emmerich.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Everything would be the same except for one thing. NO FINAL WARS. I would've done a film with MKG instead.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I would make a movie playing some time after GMK with Dagarah as main antagonist. Godzilla would be revived (somehow) and has to face this amphibious creature to defend his rank as King of the Monsters.
At least I would make/ like to see a movie with Dagarah, since he is actually one of the coolest baddies from Toho (IMO).

Also a movie with a stronger and more menacing Gigan 2004 (or 'Mecha-Gigan') would be cool.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Keep a link between them all, ala Heisei
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Barkley
Samurai

Post by Barkley »

My way? Start the series with GMK and let Kaneko do all the sequels, because the other films ended up insufferable.

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

The only things I would change are:

1. Letting Varan, Anguirus, and Baragon be in GMK.
2. Making the Kiryu saga one film.
3. Putting the extra year allotted by #2 into developing Final Wars.

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:I'd start the millennium series revolving around Godzilla Jr. years after the events in Destroyah took place. Show how he's even stronger and angrier than the hesei Godzilla due to being mutated by all his radiation, and being pissed because he thinks humanity is responsible for his fathers death. The high-intensity release of radioactivity in 1995 also changed several other animals, including a deep sea monster who lived deep down like the original Godzilla in 1954. The monsters would fight, Junior would win, and along the way learn not to look at humanity as an enemy.

Then I'd allow Shusuke Kaneko to make his own Godzilla trilogy. I'd give him full reign. But someone else already pretty much said this.
This is it. This is what I would have in mind as well. Nice one.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Make Kiryu-Goji WAY less of a klutz and Kiryu's punching bag.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Barkley wrote:My way? Start the series with GMK and let Kaneko do all the sequels, because the other films ended up insufferable.

-Barkley
With you 100% on this one, man. Would have loved a GMK series with 3 or 4 good movies in it. Wouldnt mind if G2000, GxMeg, Gxm, SOS, and Final Wars were completely wiped from existence.
Member of TK Since 2006

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I would have actually tried to have the franchise have a single continuity. I can appreciate all of the different takes on the character...but in the Heisei era when you get to Godzilla vs Destoroyah, it's the Godzilla you've been following for years, Godzilla Junior has been followed for years, some of the human characters have been appearing throughout multiple films.

There is value in that.

My basic Millennium series would be the films that are currently in the linup, minus GMK...

G2000 would be a full on reboot(100%, even ignoring the original film) with a Megaguirus-esque opening establishing a 'new' history where this Godzilla has plagued Japan for years.

Megaguirus, Against MechaGodzilla, Tokyo SOS and Final Wars would all then be re-worked however necessary to fit as progressing sequels to G2000.

But here is the kicker with Final Wars...it would build off of the Dimension Tide plot device from Megaguirus. It would be revealed that the 'wormholes' created were actually doorways into other universes. This would be a major plot device that would ultimately allow the different timelines to cross over for one mega-event. Kaiju from multiple universes and eras would all be pulled into the Millennium timeline.

So we would have monsters from all 3 eras coming together in a Destroy All Monsters style mega event, including all 3 Godzillas. Showa, Heisei/Junior, and the Millennium. Zilla would also be pulled in and properly demolished as well.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Chrispy_G wrote:I would have actually tried to have the franchise have a single continuity. I can appreciate all of the different takes on the character...but in the Heisei era when you get to Godzilla vs Destoroyah, it's the Godzilla you've been following for years, Godzilla Junior has been followed for years, some of the human characters have been appearing throughout multiple films.

There is value in that.

My basic Millennium series would be the films that are currently in the linup, minus GMK...

G2000 would be a full on reboot(100%, even ignoring the original film) with a Megaguirus-esque opening establishing a 'new' history where this Godzilla has plagued Japan for years.

Megaguirus, Against MechaGodzilla, Tokyo SOS and Final Wars would all then be re-worked however necessary to fit as progressing sequels to G2000.

But here is the kicker with Final Wars...it would build off of the Dimension Tide plot device from Megaguirus. It would be revealed that the 'wormholes' created were actually doorways into other universes. This would be a major plot device that would ultimately allow the different timelines to cross over for one mega-event. Kaiju from multiple universes and eras would all be pulled into the Millennium timeline.

So we would have monsters from all 3 eras coming together in a Destroy All Monsters style mega event, including all 3 Godzillas. Showa, Heisei/Junior, and the Millennium. Zilla would also be pulled in and properly demolished as well.
That's a really cool idea. As long as G2000 wasn't reworked much, I'd dig it.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Barkley wrote:My way? Start the series with GMK and let Kaneko do all the sequels, because the other films ended up insufferable.

-Barkley
While I like those other films and proposed a GMK-less Millennium series(only for consistency) that would be an equally cool alternative.

I picture a scenario where Toho didn't jump the gun to rush a new Godzilla out in 1999. Instead they get Kaneko to make GMK for a December 2000 release. I think it being the 'return of Godzilla' in Japan would have made it an even bigger hit, and I believe IT being the film ported over to US theaters would have yielded better results than Godzilla 2000.

Then GMK could have launched a 'Kaneko trilogy' continued in 2002 and 2004. I think by the time we get to his 2004 "conclusion", he would have been able to include a lot of his unused concepts for GMK. Legions of Maser Tanks, the Gotengo, etc
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

I think Kitamura should have started it with Godzilla: Final Wars and then continued on following that story line afterward. It'd have been amazing.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SpiralRay wrote:My proposed third film would have picked up where Tokyo SOS ended...
...That's how I would have closed out the Millennium series.
Wow! That is one heck of a film- all the variants of Godzilla in one epic film. I would have loved to see that! Great outline!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I'd leave G2K as is, only make all versions match the refined US cut. Anything else in the movie was pretty much acceptable, if imperfect.

Completely remove GxM.

Leave GMK as is, only replace Baragon with Anguirus.

Combine GxMG and SOS into one film.

Touch up FW in various ways.

Now, that's leaving the series generally intact... in a more fantastic version, I'd string G2K, Megaguirus, the MG/SOS combo and FW together as one complete story, while giving GMK it's own free storyline.