Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2004/Final Wars)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Re: Final Wars Godzilla the best all around one

Post by bananaoil »

JVM wrote:Nobody legitimately likes the movie. It's the worst Godzilla film of all time.
Hi, my name's Nobody, nice to meet you!
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

bananaoil wrote:
JVM wrote:Nobody legitimately likes the movie. It's the worst Godzilla film of all time.
Pleasure to meet you as well.

This topic used to have proof GFW sucked undeniable, but I just edited out the Son of Godzilla option since it had no votes and it removed all the existing votes.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

JVM wrote:
bananaoil wrote:
Pleasure to meet you as well.

This topic used to have proof GFW sucked undeniable, but I just edited out the Son of Godzilla option since it had no votes and it removed all the existing votes.
Lol, next time get us some evidence instead of a sad forum's poll. :lol:
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:Spacegodzilla does suck, and Fatzilla hardly does it any favors.
Say's the guy with Little Godzilla in his avatar..hmm.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Hey, Little Godzilla almost saves the movie. Go Minilla!
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

JVM wrote: Pleasure to meet you as well.

In all seriousness, I don't let fan polls tell me which films I should and shouldn't like. Final Wars may be flawed, but it doesn't take itself seriously and, as a result, it's one of my favorite films because it's an effectively glorious love letter to the camp-filled 60s and 70s films.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

bananaoil wrote:

In all seriousness, I don't let fan polls tell me which films I should and shouldn't like. Final Wars may be flawed, but it doesn't take itself seriously and, as a result, it's one of my favorite films because it's an effectively glorious love letter to the camp-filled 60s and 70s films.
I second this.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

HedorahLives wrote:
bananaoil wrote:

I second this.
I third this. Proudly, I'm really glad with got a film that's different.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Tyler wrote:I don't get when people say GFW is campy on purpose, to me it's just unintentionally stupid. It tries way harder than is should to be cool and hip, which is really annoying.

"Sorry, I'm a vegetarian." *vomits*
The fight on Mount Fuji is obviously made for the laughs, they were pretty much playing football with Anguirus!
Chris55 wrote:

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Tyler wrote:I don't get when people say GFW is campy on purpose, to me it's just unintentionally stupid. It tries way harder than is should to be cool and hip, which is really annoying.

"Sorry, I'm a vegetarian." *vomits*
Yet thats what adds to its camp value. Look at the Showa films there are dozens of such scenes.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Lol, next time get us some evidence instead of a sad forum's poll.
What better evidence is there?
In all seriousness, I don't let fan polls tell me which films I should and shouldn't like.
This isn't about liking GFW, this is about thinking it's a good film.
Final Wars may be flawed, but it doesn't take itself seriously and, as a result.
It takes itself very seriously. It's a poor attempt at making a serious movie.
it's one of my favorite films because it's an effectively glorious love letter to the camp-filled 60s and 70s films.
Big whoop. That's not what Godzilla's fiftieth anniversary is about.
I love the '60s and '70s films most of all. So...why don't I like Final Wars?

Odd.
Because you have a brain. I'd say you're the most intelligent person on the board at this point.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

JVM wrote:
Lol, next time get us some evidence instead of a sad forum's poll.
What better evidence is there?
In all seriousness, I don't let fan polls tell me which films I should and shouldn't like.
Final Wars may be flawed, but it doesn't take itself seriously and, as a result.
It takes itself very seriously. It's a poor attempt at making a serious movie.
it's one of my favorite films because it's an effectively glorious love letter to the camp-filled 60s and 70s films.

Odd.
Because you have a brain. I'd say you're the most intelligent person on the board at this point.
Man, You are Godzilla Final Wars.
Chris55 wrote:

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

JVM wrote:What better evidence is there?
Are you familiar with the term "sample error," JVM?

An opinion poll that received very little participation on a fan forum hardly constitutes strong evidence of anything. Talk to me when you've gathered significant academic and commercial sources that all support a singular consensus.
I also don't let fan polls tell me which films I should or shouldn't consider good cinema.
It takes itself very seriously.

No, it doesn't.

It's an exaggerated, over-the-top action film. By it's very nature it doesn't take itself seriously. I would reference things like the cop/pimp New York scene, the Mt. Fuji battle, or the general tone of the ending, but the film speaks for itself.
From dictionary.com:

Anniversary (n):

1. the yearly recurrence of the date of a past event: the tenth anniversary of their marriage.
2. the celebration or commemoration of such a date.

Anniversary (adj):

1. returning or recurring each year; annual.

Couple that with the fact that Final Wars rolls several elements from Toho's sci-fi library into one film, including monsters, technology, plot elements, and a tone that prevailed during the bulk of the Showa series, and you have a film that does more to commemorate the franchise as a whole than Space Godzilla or Godzilla Returns.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Tyler wrote:
Gigan X3 wrote:The fight on Mount Fuji is obviously made for the laughs, they were pretty much playing football with Anguirus!
I liked that, but...
Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Yet thats what adds to its camp value. Look at the Showa films there are dozens of such scenes.
It lacks the Showa spirit though. GFW is trying too hard to be GODZILLA 2 THE EXTREME. Even Matt Frank does a better job at doing that.
It does feel edgy indeed, But I liked it and I Believe we both agree that it feels fresh to watch it every now and then among all G-Films.
Chris55 wrote:

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

Legion1979 wrote:
bananaoil wrote: Final Wars may be flawed, but it doesn't take itself seriously and, as a result, it's one of my favorite films because it's an effectively glorious love letter to the camp-filled 60s and 70s films.

Odd.
The soundtrack. Music goes a long way.
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

You guys are missing the point: the meaning of this topic is saying that the Godzilla in final wars had the best height, power, speed, and skill.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

gojira012 wrote:You guys are missing the point: the meaning of this topic is saying that the Godzilla in final wars had the best height, power, speed, and skill.
But he doesn't. He is just a taller version of Showa Gojira.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

gojira012 wrote:You guys are missing the point: the meaning of this topic is saying that the Godzilla in final wars had the best height, power, speed, and skill.
He's really good but not the best either.
Chris55 wrote:

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

gojira012 wrote:You have to admit the Final wars G is the best all around one out of all of them. I mean it blends the best of all worlds.
No. I don't. It was god awful.
For everything that movie wanted to achieve from a Kaiju basis, (Which is only a third of the film, if not less)Godzilla 2000.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
gojira012 wrote:You have to admit the Final wars G is the best all around one out of all of them. I mean it blends the best of all worlds.
No. I don't. It was god awful.
For everything that movie wanted to achieve from a Kaiju basis, (Which is only a third of the film, if not less)Godzilla 2000.
This topic is not about the movie, but for that version of Godzilla himself