Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:20 pm

I wanted to add, Legion's role in the film is really unique, and the film integrates a military offense well into the film. In contrast to other alien monsters, Legion actually has a plan, and feels like a force of the Queen, symbiotic, and flower, rather then just a single enemy. I like how the film explains and talks of Legion advancing southward, towards tokyo, and if you're familiar with Japan, the path Legion takes makes sense and is really tangible. I like how there's a concrete end goal/win scenario, that if Legion reaches Tokyo it's over. I like how it keeps breaking through military lines as well. Really well executed concept.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby Terasawa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:35 pm

I think Legion is one of the most perfectly realized monsters in tokusatsu. It’s not trying to conquer Earth, just further its species, but by coincidence that’s a huge threat to humanity. The adult Legion shows the ability to strategize but not really as a human would. They feel like convincing alien animal lifeforms.

The stakes increase each time they appear too: at first they’re just a nuisance, enriching the oxygen content in the atmosphere and destroying the beer bottles in the brewery. Once they reach Sapporo they become a true threat, since they kill subway passengers with silicon on their person. (These attacks aren’t targeted, however.) The JSDF responds by trying to wipe them out, and as if one stomps on an ant hill or hits a bee’s nest, they retaliate. They swarm Gamera, the big one shows up, etc. I won’t go through the entire movie, but suffice it to say there’s a natural and believable progression to their attacks.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Ultraman02
Samurai
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 am

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby Ultraman02 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:06 pm

I liked how "Alien" the Legions are. Silicone-based life, strange biology and wicked energy whips.
Definitely my favourite Gamera monster (Besides Guiron :huge: ).
Last edited by Ultraman02 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !


" シュワッチ!"

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Terasawa wrote:I think Legion is one of the most perfectly realized monsters in tokusatsu. It’s not trying to conquer Earth, just further its species, but by coincidence that’s a huge threat to humanity. The adult Legion shows the ability to strategize but not really as a human would. They feel like convincing alien animal lifeforms.

The stakes increase each time they appear too: at first they’re just a nuisance, enriching the oxygen content in the atmosphere and destroying the beer bottles in the brewery. Once they reach Sapporo they become a true threat, since they kill subway passengers with silicon on their person. (These attacks aren’t targeted, however.) The JSDF responds by trying to wipe them out, and as if one stomps on an ant hill or hits a bee’s nest, they retaliate. They swarm Gamera, the big one shows up, etc. I won’t go through the entire movie, but suffice it to say there’s a natural and believable progression to their attacks.

Yeah you sum it up nicely.

Also they work well as a "progression" to Gyaos. The film, and monsters, are structured similarly, in that Gamera faces off a bunch of smaller monsters, that have good melee and beam attacks, and eventually Gamera fights a larger version of said creatures. The difference, is that the Gyaos are explicitly cannibals, and don't work together, versus the Legion that work together. And, while the Gyaos are multiplying because the earth is becoming suited to their needs, the Legion are making the earth suited to their needs.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9374
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:45 am

A lot like Biollante (who I believe was constructed by the same team) Legion does not at all feel like a man-in-a-suit. She's easily one of the most convincing suitmation effects to ever come out of Japan.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby Terasawa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 pm

I think the biggest flaw in this movie is that Gamera plays a pretty insignificant role. It’s not the first Gamera movie that gives the enemy monster the more important part but unlike most of the Showa films, Gamera is hardly discussed at all except when he’s on screen. Still, the crew does a good job of making Gamera feel alive when he does show up. He’s not quite as charming as in the previous film (thanks in part to the more monstrous appearance) but he’s just as courageous as ever. Those are the two most important traits for the character, IMO, and what sets him apart from most other giant monsters.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby Orichalcum » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm

That was definitely a problem I had with the film, Ganera’s an afterthought and spends a huge portion of the film “dead”.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby daveblackeye15 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Well got back from visiting my friend and us doing a double feature with Guardian of the Universe and Legion. He said he quite enjoyed Guardian of the Universe and was surprised when he first saw the saucer mode. That made me happy since he said he was familiar with Gamera, I figured since we both watched MST3K but I guess not enough. He was engaged that's for sure for both films and at the end I asked if there was one he liked more. He said it was very narrow but Legion got his vote by just a smidgen. He just really liked her design and powers. When Gamera pulls his flying to ground mode while sliding across the ground and spitting fire balls my said 'that's freaking awesome.'

As for me I dunno it used to be that 2 was my favorite in high school since it was a bit of a war movie with lots of tank action and so on. Now I think it's Guardian of the Universe since I appreciate more Gamera and Gyaos chasing each other. I also think Guardian of the Universe moves by a lot faster since we jump back and forth between two threads those looking into the mysterious atoll and those following the Gyaos.

In two weeks we plan to meet up again and he is eager to see Gamera 3 and I plan to show him GMK just to get all the Kaneko kaiju films done.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:55 pm

daveblackeye15 wrote:Well got back from visiting my friend and us doing a double feature with Guardian of the Universe and Legion. He said he quite enjoyed Guardian of the Universe and was surprised when he first saw the saucer mode. That made me happy since he said he was familiar with Gamera, I figured since we both watched MST3K but I guess not enough. He was engaged that's for sure for both films and at the end I asked if there was one he liked more. He said it was very narrow but Legion got his vote by just a smidgen. He just really liked her design and powers. When Gamera pulls his flying to ground mode while sliding across the ground and spitting fire balls my said 'that's freaking awesome.'

As for me I dunno it used to be that 2 was my favorite in high school since it was a bit of a war movie with lots of tank action and so on. Now I think it's Guardian of the Universe since I appreciate more Gamera and Gyaos chasing each other. I also think Guardian of the Universe moves by a lot faster since we jump back and forth between two threads those looking into the mysterious atoll and those following the Gyaos.

In two weeks we plan to meet up again and he is eager to see Gamera 3 and I plan to show him GMK just to get all the Kaneko kaiju films done.

Gamera 3 is the best, kaiju kino, but it's best when the films are still fresh in your mind.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

king_ghidorah
Interpol Agent
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:51 am

G3 is indeed the best. Hell, best toku film after 54

That being said I think G2 is the most action packed and GOtU is just a well rounded, traditionally paced kaiju movie. They each have their merits and I couldn’t fault anyone for whichever film they choose as their favorite.

Also. Totally agree that Legion is amazing and feels like the most “alien” form of life that I’ve seen in film in decades. It’s motivation doesn’t involve people at all. People are a nuisance but unimportant.


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests