Monster Discussion #52: SpaceGodzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Re: Is Space Godzilla really that powerful?

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Than why did the creators of the movie decide that Godzilla needed to go 2-1 against his evil clone?[/quote]

More merch for merchandising; where the real money is made.[/quote]

Well, that's easily said. But they could have done that for every film. They also could have made Godzilla fight two monsters so this way they can make money off of merchandise and still make it look like Godzilla wouldn't get his ass kicked one-on-one. It would also make the result more suspenseful--"How will Godzilla get out of this situation?"

Besides, Mogeura has got to be one of the dumbest looking kaiju I've personally ever seen.

But that's just my stance on it.[/quote]

Moguera is pretty dumb looking especially when compared to SMG.

The two on one thing had already been done with GvsMBFE so I guess they wanted Godzilla to play less of a villain this time around. Also If the spiral ray uses so much power then why does Godzilla use it after expending most of energy fighting? it doesnt make any sense, SG needs time to fully build up his power supply and crystal fortress and lets not forget attacking a stronghold is more difficult than defending one ;) I think Godzilla suits the unstoppable power house and antagonist role best and that is , for me at least, why GvsSG sucks balls.

How do you think SG,Tower and all, would fair against Burning Godzilla?
84-95

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Well, it's harder to defend a fort than attack it when you're defending it by yourself against two opponents (one of which splits apart into two different pieces and attacks from land/sky).

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

SpaceGodzilla is extremely powerful but sometimes people over exxagurate his power.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Bonekil
Ronin

Re: Monster Discussion #52: SpaceGodzilla

Post by Bonekil »

Spacegodzilla, he's a cool character. I like his face and how he looks menacing with those teeth, and his roar, a, "spacey screech" is how I'll pit it, is cool, and a little intimidating as well. I like him. He's cool
Bonekil. One L. Don't get it wrong

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

^Said everything I like about him lol He was a pretty cool kaiju.
Anyone else wonder why he wanted to kill Godzilla so badly? That is really its only thought in life and they never say why as far as I know.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Simple. Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla are one of the same beings. It can be theorized that SpaceGodzilla inherited the "Monster King" mentality from Godzilla and challenged his "twin" to claim the title and of course kill him for it. It can be theorized as well that SpaceGodzilla could have plans to terraform the planet after Godzilla's defeat and turn it into his planet.

As far as I know it was never officially stated what he purpose was other then another monster to fight but that's the fun of SpaceGodzilla. :)

Burninggodzillalord
Interpol Agent

Post by Burninggodzillalord »

SpaceG92 wrote:Simple. Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla are one of the same beings. It can be theorized that SpaceGodzilla inherited the "Monster King" mentality from Godzilla and challenged his "twin" to claim the title and of course kill him for it. It can be theorized as well that SpaceGodzilla could have plans to terraform the planet after Godzilla's defeat and turn it into his planet.

As far as I know it was never officially stated what he purpose was other then another monster to fight but that's the fun of SpaceGodzilla. :)
If Spacegodzilla wanted to just kill Godzilla he could have then and there. The fact he put Little G in the Crystals then went to Fukuoka without killing him means that either he was toying with Godzilla or he had an ulterior motive.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Burninggodzillalord wrote:If Spacegodzilla wanted to just kill Godzilla he could have then and there. The fact he put Little G in the Crystals then went to Fukuoka without killing him means that either he was toying with Godzilla or he had an ulterior motive.
This is true, personally i'm leaning towards ulterior motive. How I always say it was that SpaceGodzilla's powers were fading after the travel to earth and using it most likely on the spheres sent to Infant Island. After engaging Godzilla and testing his strength he concluded that since he is loosing power that one wrong move could cost him his life he decided to take to his Flying Form, aim at Little Godzilla so Godzilla couldn't counter attack and beam Godzilla down long enough to were he can escape and recharge in Fukuoka.

Other then incentive for Godzilla to chase after SpaceGodzilla maybe he captured him in as a sense of pride to force Godzilla to fight with his all and maybe in a fit of fatherly rage to hopefully impair his fighting skills. Just a small theory.

Another small theory. We all know SpaceGodzilla is telepathic. It was hinted at that Godzilla was telepathic. It could be that Godzilla was sending out psychic waves into space without him realizing and that due to SpaceGodzilla's crystals possibly acting as a conducter or amplifyer or just his increased telepathy picked up on and either;
A: Noticed the psychic patterns were similar to his and noticed it was his twin
B: Were driving him crazy or angering him (image a voice like yours in your head randomly saying things)
C: Made SpaceGodzilla's travel to earth faster due to him tracing the waves back to earth.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

As I pondered in the Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla discussion thread, I would have liked a more defined Biollante origin for the monster. Although incredibly powerful, I just find the general "B-W hole" vague. I mean, no, it's hardly the first time a generic monster-from-space has been used, but with origins in monsters we're already aware of, it could've been used to greater effect.

And in the event they used a stronger Biollante origin for Spacegodzilla, they could have changed its design as well. Whereas Biollante was more plant with inspiration of Godzilla, Spacegodzilla could've remained closer to Godzilla in design with characteristics of Biollante's final form - because as it stands, Spacegodzilla looks like Heisei Godzilla with crystals, and that's mostly all there is to it. Having such a powerful adversary would've remained workable story wise since the combined strength of Godzilla and MOGUERA would (and was) just enough.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

^ Agreed, they left it open and up to debate on what being he came from, his origin is vague since no one is that far deep into space to know what goes on nut according to the dub (hush I lack the japanese version and correct subs) it's detailed enough but due to lack of human knowledge the left it up to the imagination.
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla wrote:"There were only to occasions were G-Cells were sent into outer space. One a fragment from Biollante and two a fragment of Godzilla's flash attached to Mothra. One of these cells must have been swallowed by a black hole and pushed out from a white hole. It grew very quickly in it's own evolutionary system much faster then expected. It assimilated crystal organism and was exposed to tremendous energies from the explosion of stars"
I tend to lean towards Biollante myself. It could be said that when the mutated Godzilla cells from Biollante, not Biollante herself but a fragment could have been there in the birth process but the G-Cell's in favor for the more stronger and energy rich crystal organism cells devoured and expunged the Biollante/Plant/Human cells from it's form. Anyhow, so it assimilated crystal organisms sometime in his creation, personally I think it was exposed to it during the Black Hole which explains how he can survive in space and the crystals allowed him to absorb more energy from super novas explosions and if I remember super novas give off radiation which his body naturally absorbed. This can also explain the face tusks and the weird stomach indent, due to most likely the G-Cells rejected the former bond in favor of a strong one.

It still took one lucky shot form Moguera to cripple SpaceGodzilla and by enough time for Godzilla to topple the tower. I have my own theories about his shoulder crystals being destroyed and how Godzilla became Burning Godzilla but I'll get into that another time.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

SpaceG92 wrote:^ Agreed, they left it open and up to debate on what being he came from, his origin is vague since no one is that far deep into space to know what goes on nut according to the dub (hush I lack the japanese version and correct subs) it's detailed enough but due to lack of human knowledge the left it up to the imagination.

I tend to lean towards Biollante myself. It could be said that when the mutated Godzilla cells from Biollante, not Biollante herself but a fragment could have been there in the birth process but the G-Cell's in favor for the more stronger and energy rich crystal organism cells devoured and expunged the Biollante/Plant/Human cells from it's form. Anyhow, so it assimilated crystal organisms sometime in his creation, personally I think it was exposed to it during the Black Hole which explains how he can survive in space and the crystals allowed him to absorb more energy from super novas explosions and if I remember super novas give off radiation which his body naturally absorbed. This can also explain the face tusks and the weird stomach indent, due to most likely the G-Cells rejected the former bond in favor of a strong one.

It still took one lucky shot form Moguera to cripple SpaceGodzilla and by enough time for Godzilla to topple the tower. I have my own theories about his shoulder crystals being destroyed and how Godzilla became Burning Godzilla but I'll get into that another time.
I like your ideas, especially the last bit where it'd be a nice transition into Godzilla vs Destoroyah as you explain Burning Godzilla a bit differently rather than the Birth Island incident.

The thing is, it's not like we (or at least I) need a super logical explanation that is so grounded in existing scientific theories. It'd just be nice to have had something more and, IMHO, a better Spacegodzilla design.
고질라

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Tohosaurus wrote:The thing is, it's not like we (or at least I) need a super logical explanation that is so grounded in existing scientific theories. It'd just be nice to have had something more and, IMHO, a better Spacegodzilla design.
Check out some of the concepts for SpaceGodzilla, i'm quite pleased with the one we got :D The original design for him, or atleast the one they settled on had a slightly more fearsome face more hinting to Biollante's face in terms of savageness. I would agree that we do need something more on his origin, like what happened in the black hole but again it's left up to the imagination, intention or not that to me is one aspect I like SpaceGodzilla as much as I do.
I like your ideas, especially the last bit where it'd be a nice transition into Godzilla vs Destoroyah as you explain Burning Godzilla a bit differently rather than the Birth Island incident.
Thank you. I do like making theories for SpaceGodzilla :P Hell since i'm on the topic now might as well explain since it does relate to SpaceGodzilla in a sense.

Seeing as how it was explained that SpaceGodzilla absorbs cosmic energy and by assumption we can assume he can still absorb radiation to some extent or a certain kind. They mention, again in the dub that when Godzilla bit down on SpaceGodzilla's neck that according to Yuki "He is stopping SpaceGodzilla's flow of power." Which in turn led up to his defeat as MOGERA assaulted the tower and destroyed his shoulder crystals. His shoulder crystals being his storage and energy conductor of the energy he receives via the tower and passively from the seeded crystals. Now 2 things. Godzilla was blocking his energy according to the dub. Could it be that when he did block his energy he passively absorbed it which allowed him to use his Spiral Fire, I believe so. The energy being a foreign form which Godzilla's body could absorb but not properly channel hence led to it being a poison which without proper discarding of the energy built up inside Godzilla and eventually causing him to explode, the incident on Birth Island and the uranium just speed up the process.

Now let me tie in that with SpaceGodzilla. With his shoulder crystals destroyed he could no longer funnel and convert the energy properly, causing him to go into a "Meltdown" mode of his own. Remember when he was flashing and turning colors in the film, he was turning into a bomb. Eventually all the energy pent up would cause him to explode taking Fukuoka and the surrounding area with it. The blast can be stronger but SpaceGodzilla kept fighting and dispensing energy, finally Godzilla finished off SpaceGodzilla causing him to violently explode, no doubt if the above holds true Godzilla passively absorbing the inner radiation or cosmic radiation from SpaceGodzilla and leading to the above. A small theory I had brewing for a while now, I lack the japanese and subbed cut to fact check this statement but still it's something to think about.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

SpaceG92 wrote: Check out some of the concepts for SpaceGodzilla, i'm quite pleased with the one we got :D The original design for him, or atleast the one they settled on had a slightly more fearsome face more hinting to Biollante's face in terms of savageness. I would agree that we do need something more on his origin, like what happened in the black hole but again it's left up to the imagination, intention or not that to me is one aspect I like SpaceGodzilla as much as I do.

Seeing as how it was explained that SpaceGodzilla absorbs cosmic energy and by assumption we can assume he can still absorb radiation to some extent or a certain kind. They mention, again in the dub that when Godzilla bit down on SpaceGodzilla's neck that according to Yuki "He is stopping SpaceGodzilla's flow of power." Which in turn led up to his defeat as MOGERA assaulted the tower and destroyed his shoulder crystals. His shoulder crystals being his storage and energy conductor of the energy he receives via the tower and passively from the seeded crystals. Now 2 things. Godzilla was blocking his energy according to the dub. Could it be that when he did block his energy he passively absorbed it which allowed him to use his Spiral Fire, I believe so. The energy being a foreign form which Godzilla's body could absorb but not properly channel hence led to it being a poison which without proper discarding of the energy built up inside Godzilla and eventually causing him to explode, the incident on Birth Island and the uranium just speed up the process.

Now let me tie in that with SpaceGodzilla. With his shoulder crystals destroyed he could no longer funnel and convert the energy properly, causing him to go into a "Meltdown" mode of his own. Remember when he was flashing and turning colors in the film, he was turning into a bomb. Eventually all the energy pent up would cause him to explode taking Fukuoka and the surrounding area with it. The blast can be stronger but SpaceGodzilla kept fighting and dispensing energy, finally Godzilla finished off SpaceGodzilla causing him to violently explode, no doubt if the above holds true Godzilla passively absorbing the inner radiation or cosmic radiation from SpaceGodzilla and leading to the above. A small theory I had brewing for a while now, I lack the japanese and subbed cut to fact check this statement but still it's something to think about.
Well actually you bring up an important item: I think the talent in those positions for the 1994 film might have had difficulty in doing a "Godzilla from space". What does that look like, exactly? I can't say that I'd do any better, so I'm not really trying to be critical in that sense. Now, if I may be controversial, I do like the fourth picture in the Concept Art gallery on the main Toho Kingdom website as the basis for a Biollante-based Spacegodzilla. But would audiences have liked that? I dunno. The truth is I don't blame Toho for not going in the direction of Biollante since that movie wasn't exactly a box office success - so why reference a movie so strongly that people didn't seem to care that much about?
고질라

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

I really like Spacegodzilla, movie be damned. Him appearing in a movie done properly would be great, although it would probably never happen.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Despite being the cliched doppelganger with enhanced powers but with an achilles heel, I like him. A lot actually, at least concept wise. The movie executed him poorly such as the two possible origin stories and being beaten relatively easily despite his supposed extreme power. I would have expected a cosmic Godzilla to be a lot tougher to beat. However he seems to have caught on despite being only being in one movie and makes a great arch villian in games such as STE. In fact he seems he is as much of an arch nemesis as Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah now with his appearances in the new comics as well. With some tweaking (such as origin story and his achilles heel), he could really bring down the house in another movie. I love his telekinetic abilities and corona beam and how he can traverse vast distances in the cosmos in a short period of time. His roar is also original sounding, despite being recycled from Gigan. I hope he keeps becoming playable in future Godzilla video games and continues appearing in comics and maybe even movies.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

My favourite Kaiju.

After Godzilla of course.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

*comment deleted*

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

One thing I think SpaceGodzilla is really missing in his film is a clear motivation. Unlike many monsters in the series, he's completely autonomous and clearly portrayed as an out-and-out villain to Godzilla's anti-hero, but ... what does he want? He imprisons Little Godzilla and then flies off, so ... does he want to antagonize Godzilla? If so, why? Then he sets up base in a city where he apparently draws powers from the crystals he sets up, but ... again, why? Is he out to conquer the planet? Does he want to kill Godzilla for some reason?

Anything that would've shed a bit more light on this and helped give him a consistent motivation would have added a lot to the movie's stakes, as well as helped streamline its messy plot.

It's a problem Destroyah shares as well, but I think that film comes close to just portraying him as a particularly malicious animal. SpaceGodzilla seems calculating, so it's weird we don't know what exactly he wants.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Bumping for ol' Crystal back!

So people where complaining about SpaceGodzilla's thunder thighs. Well, T-Facto you done it again!
T-Facto SpaceGodzilla Image 1
T-Facto SpaceGodzilla Image 2
T-Facto SpaceGodzilla Image 3
T-Facto SpaceGodzilla Image 4

So, opinions on the T-Facto sculpt of SpaceGodzilla? Like it, hate or indifferent? Personally, its the slight difference from the suit that makes it all the better for me.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Meh. I think he's an extremely powerful character, but that his many powers are weak compared to others just because his power is spread out and *highly* dependent on outside sources that he must establish himself. So, yea I think his power is accurately stated, but his ability is overstated.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.