Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by Stump Feet »

I think the only complements I could give this incarnation is its roar was really cool and I liked the way its knee joints looked when it walked, other than that, easily the worst Mechagodzilla to date, even when compared to Mechagodzilla City.

The worst scene in his movie has to be when Godzilla grabs on to his head/neck and throws him, I have no clue how the director could look at that as the perfect take.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Stump Feet wrote:I think the only complements I could give this incarnation is its roar was really cool and I liked the way its knee joints looked when it walked, other than that, easily the worst Mechagodzilla to date, even when compared to Mechagodzilla City.

The worst scene in his movie has to be when Godzilla grabs on to his head/neck and throws him, I have no clue how the director could look at that as the perfect take.
He reminds me of a stainless steel fridge tbh.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:I think the only complements I could give this incarnation is its roar was really cool and I liked the way its knee joints looked when it walked, other than that, easily the worst Mechagodzilla to date, even when compared to Mechagodzilla City.

I think to it`s benefit through, it looks "heavy" and you can feel it`s weight. It actually looks bulky and made out of metal, unlike various shots of the Showa incarnation. Agreed its the worst though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I use to like Kiryu more than the Heisei Mechagodzilla, but now I find them pretty equal. Kiryu has a better design, origin, hand-to-hand combat skills and a good personality for a machine, but the Heisei Mechagodzilla has a better array of weapons, can be used without having to worry about its energy, can withstand Godzilla and Fire Rodan's beams and was powerful to kill Fire Rodan and almost kill Godzilla twice.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Easily my least favorite Toho mecha, I would rather watch a film about the Garuda which only exists to be an upgrade for Mechagodzilla rather than Mechagodzilla itself. And given the fact it may probably be the strongest Toho mecha is something that will make me groan till the day I die.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If this version had some level of hand to hand combat ability, then it might be better. It's bristling with powerful weapons, but that just makes it a flying and walking tank. I will say that the design is good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

An interesting thought came to my mind:

If Godzilla vs Berserk had actually been made, would that have altered the course of MechaGodzilla's portrayals as a man-made anti-Kaiju weapon?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I rather like the idea of MG being a living metal creature.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:50 pm An interesting thought came to my mind:

If Godzilla vs Berserk had actually been made, would that have altered the course of MechaGodzilla's portrayals as a man-made anti-Kaiju weapon?
I think so, but I think a G-Force/"Good" MG was always going to happen. I think it's interesting seeing how like Godzilla, MG has drastically switched back and forth between being a villain and hero depending on the incarnation. The RP1 ( X_X ) MG and the MV MG sort of bucked that trend. Even thoughout the IDW comics, only once (the Showa MG arc) has MG been explicitly evil.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Fun fact. I watched Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 two days ago.

Heisei Mechagodzilla is the epitome of a glass cannon. He had the firepower to beat Heisei Godzilla and Fire Rodan from a distance.
But when it comes to close combat he is useless. Even Rodan who was half of the size and less than a quarter of wieght of Mechagodzilla caused distress.

The design is okay for me. Most fans like Kiryu or the showa version more and I can understand that. It was the 90s. Look at the cars of the 90s everything was rounded and aerodynamic. So the trend was noticeable on Mechagodzilla too.

What remains in memory is his incredible firepower and his size. 20 meters higher than Godzilla (in the movie it looked more like 10 meters) but yes, his size and the silver shining diamond coating made an impression.

Hail to the Heisei series! :D
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I remember reading that part of the reason why production staff decided to make Mechagodzilla be a long ranged fighter, is because the suit was prone to damage when handled roughly. I could see their reasoning behind that. The suit was pretty shiny, and constantly cracking or chipping could delay shooting.

Also, while I am not a big fan of this Mechagodzilla, especially when the superior Combiner Mechagodzilla design was skipped, it really did set itself apart from the other ones of the past and to come, by being a piloted super robot emphasizing fire power and ranged combat.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It could also be that piloted mechs were popular in the 90s.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Mechas have always been popular since the genre got a lot of the tropes associated with it with shows like Mazinger Z, Combattler V, Voltes V, Gundam, and Evangelion. Mechagodzilla being a piloted super robot was not so much "it was popular", but more of a progression of the tropes associated with mechas. Mechagodzilla wasn't just a robot now, it was something actively inspired by the almost 20 years of tropes associated with the genre.