Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Missingno.
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by Missingno. »

three wrote:nah, sarcasm and being a jerk aside i don't understand how you figure he died. would you mind explaining?
Mechagodzilla 2 did kill Godzilla. After he blew out the second brain, Godzilla was still moving until MG started using all of his weapons on him at once. Then it showed Godzilla not moving at all, meaning that he died. Not that it lasted though, because Rodan revived him about 10 seconds later.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i personally always saw it as Godzilla near death, but Rodan's sacrifice pulls him back from the brink. destroying one brain responsible for locomotion (presumably, because that's what the bad science that suggested a brain was there said it was for) and stopping a creature from moving a bunch doesn't necessarily indicate death. Godzilla's eyes remained open, which is one major indicator that he was still alive. that's not universal, but it leaves little doubt. he was on the precipice imho.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

I think that destroying the second brain, in addition to paralyzing him, overtaxed his regenerative powers (since, from what I understand, grey matter is a lot more complex than the rest of the body's tissues), allowing a big barrage from MG2's beams to finish him off. I'm pretty sure one of the characters says that he's dead Jim.
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.
-Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

three wrote:Godzilla's eyes remained open, which is one major indicator that he was still alive.
Your eyes don't have to be closed to be dead. I can get shot and killed without warning right now and because I wasn't aware of it, my eyes would still be open.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Missingno. wrote:
three wrote:Godzilla's eyes remained open, which is one major indicator that he was still alive.
Your eyes don't have to be closed to be dead. I can get shot and killed without warning right now and because I wasn't aware of it, my eyes would still be open.

hey, be fair: i continued to say open eyes aren't a universal indicator of survival, just one that can indicate it. a good example in my defense is the death of Godzilla jr, who is not "dead" until his eyes close, which enrages Godzilla. we also know he was revived in a similar way. i think that if Toho wanted to indicate Godzilla had died, they wouldn't leave it ambiguous.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

three wrote:
Missingno. wrote:

hey, be fair: i continued to say open eyes aren't a universal indicator of survival, just one that can indicate it. a good example in my defense is the death of Godzilla jr, who is not "dead" until his eyes close, which enrages Godzilla. we also know he was revived in a similar way. i think that if Toho wanted to indicate Godzilla had died, they wouldn't leave it ambiguous.
If you watch the scene Godzilla Jr is still moving as Godzilla revives him. Godzilla wasn't moving at all. It's not like him dying was a big deal considering it lasted a few min if that since Rodan revives him almost instantly. Throughout development Godzilla dying at the end of this film was pretty much consistent through the various scripts the film had.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

is he? fyi, i'm not holding out on this because i want godzilla to have lived; i legit believe he did. i'm just trying to figure out why other people don't feel the same way...so far, it's understandable, but i don't see a reason to try really hard to convince anybody.

i will say that i think it's interesting that you feel the polar opposite i do on both issues.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

three wrote:is he? fyi, i'm not holding out on this because i want godzilla to have lived; i legit believe he did. i'm just trying to figure out why other people don't feel the same way...so far, it's understandable, but i don't see a reason to try really hard to convince anybody.

i will say that i think it's interesting that you feel the polar opposite i do on both issues.
Agreed it's an enjoyable debate. If you go too 0:28 on this vid you can see jr moving. I apologize for the piss porr quality ahead of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNY-F326JXE

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzillian wrote:
three wrote:is he? fyi, i'm not holding out on this because i want godzilla to have lived; i legit believe he did. i'm just trying to figure out why other people don't feel the same way...so far, it's understandable, but i don't see a reason to try really hard to convince anybody.

Agreed it's an enjoyable debate. If you go too 0:28 on this vid you can see jr moving. I apologize for the piss porr quality ahead of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNY-F326JXE

won't play on my iphone but i'll take your word for now. very cool that we can reach an eye to eye resolution and not fight to the death. ^_^

Mothralover1997
Samurai

Post by Mothralover1997 »

Food for thought: Heisei MG is the only military weapon in the entire Tohoverse to have killed/completely immobilized Godzilla. Even if it was only a brief moment.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Mothralover1997 wrote:Food for thought: Heisei MG is the only military weapon in the entire Tohoverse to have killed/completely immobilized Godzilla. Even if it was only a brief moment.

Super X and Super X 3 immobilized Godzilla for a bit.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

MDK wrote:
Mothralover1997 wrote:Food for thought: Heisei MG is the only military weapon in the entire Tohoverse to have killed/completely immobilized Godzilla. Even if it was only a brief moment.

Yes they did, but not completely. SuperMechaGodzilla basically straight up killed Godzilla, although that's already a very well known aspect of the film and I'm not entirely sure why it was pointed out again.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Yes they did, but not completely. SuperMechaGodzilla basically straight up killed Godzilla, although that's already a very well known aspect of the film and I'm not entirely sure why it was pointed out again.
You can't praise SMG if you're gonna deny that Super X achieved the same thing. I am sorry, but you absolutely cannot.

Super X wrecked Godzilla. Trounced him. Set him up to meet his maker. If it weren't for those pesky Soviets, the Heisei series would be several movies shorter. It had him dead to rights.

God, I'm starting to understand what the hell LC was talking about.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, the first Super X most definitely "completely" immobilized Godzilla. The lighting was the deus ex machina that got him out of that situation.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

NSZ wrote: You can't praise SMG if you're gonna deny that Super X achieved the same thing. I am sorry, but you absolutely cannot.

Super X wrecked Godzilla. Trounced him. Set him up to meet his maker. If it weren't for those pesky Soviets, the Heisei series would be several movies shorter. It had him dead to rights.

God, I'm starting to understand what the hell LC was talking about.

And what was LC talking about? That we're all mindless sheep who downplay the power of the Super X?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Missingno. wrote: Mechagodzilla 2 did kill Godzilla. After he blew out the second brain, Godzilla was still moving until MG started using all of his weapons on him at once. Then it showed Godzilla not moving at all, meaning that he died. Not that it lasted though, because Rodan revived him about 10 seconds later.
Having your brain destroyed doesn't automatically turn off your durability and regeneration. Godzilla did not die. You even provided the evidence as to why. Rodan was able to revive him. You can't revive a dead body. Plus, he had taken MG's beams just fine before. It wouldn't have made any sense for them to suddenly kill him.

And Godzilla not moving? So are you saying that he died when he wasn't moving on the ocean floor? Or when Battra dropped that Ferris wheel on him?
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

three
Keizer

Post by three »

all i want to say is...

...if you have a second brain, then the purpose of destroying one to kill you is defeated from the beginning. thus, despite destroying the brain, it does appear Godzilla lived.

or were those additional shots after Godzilla was incapacitated just the crew's way of being certain it was dead?

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

three wrote:if you have a second brain, then the purpose of destroying one to kill you is defeated from the beginning.
The second brain isn't a redundancy. As described in the movie, both brains are vital to Godzilla.

It's similar to human vertebrae. You don't have just two, but 24... yet destroying one is pretty damn devastating.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

SMG did kill Godzilla. Its written in the story's plot and is visibly shown in the movie. Godzilla looked pretty dead to me.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Infinity wrote:SMG did kill Godzilla. Its written in the story's plot and is visibly shown in the movie. Godzilla looked pretty dead to me.
so dead that they had to keep shooting him, and he moved.

one of the many times the films contradict the writing. i would not travel with you in the event of a zombie apocalypse, if that's your idea of "dead". kind of still relatively alive enough to shoot it some more...yea...