Monster Discussion #47: Battra

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #47: Battra

Post by JVM »

Totally forgot these. Better start finishing em off.

Battra is... an interesting character to say the least. A major villain who was to become the hero but has his/her destiny wiped away. A yang too Mothra's yin. The Ghidorah to Mothra's Godzilla. While I like Battra's design I was disappointed by his/her execution and feel it'd be better to see Battra in a movie with Mothra and not Godzilla.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #47: Battra

Post by HayesAJones »

I like him. He's basically a more badass version of Mothra. No more Mr. Nice Moth! If you wanna look at it in a more metaphorical sense, he's a Mothra corrupted by Man's greed and destruction of the planet. Pretty cool concept, even in the adult form was too stiff.

An original roar would have been nice though.

Alucard
Xilien Halfling

Post by Alucard »

I like his larva form.His imago not so much :/
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.
LIKE YO DICK!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Battra is easily one of the best Heisei monsters, I Like His Design a lot (Larva and Imago)his powers, abilities the only thing that i hate about him its, his Roar seriously why use Rodan`s Roar.
Toho apparently really Likes that Sound Effect a lot.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Tyler wrote:I like the idea of Battra.

Same here, but man it was horribly executed. Never seen such a stiff prop in my life.
Said the same thing in another threat myself.

But, IMO, the larval form is immaculate.
Proud father, husband, and son.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

KaneLocke wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:

Same here, but man it was horribly executed. Never seen such a stiff prop in my life.
Said the same thing in another threat myself.
"You mess with me again, man, and you're gonna be stiffer that the adult Battra prop!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Battra is an interesting monster. Like a hitman for the planet, Battra is the perfect foil for Mothra. It's dark and destructive, and I love the larval form. The imago stage is a not as impressive.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Boring and uninspired. Battra is just a dark version of Mothra...and that's all we learn about him. The character is hardly explored in the film, and is only there to give Mothra something to fight. The design is...okay, but not the best I've seen. Overall, its just a forgettable character in a terrible film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Pretty cool monster,don't like the roar and the stiffy prop though.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:Boring and uninspired. Battra is just a dark version of Mothra...and that's all we learn about him. The character is hardly explored in the film, and is only there to give Mothra something to fight. The design is...okay, but not the best I've seen. Overall, its just a forgettable character in a terrible film like everything in the non-hero Godzilla films.
At least they tried to do something new.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

...No, they didn't. Battra is Mothra, only darker. That's not new. Hell, even if it were new, that's doesn't stop Battra from being a complete waste.

BTW, I notice what you added onto the quote of my post at the end there. Yeah... that's not funny, nor is it true.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
...No, they didn't. Battra is Mothra, only darker. That's not new. Hell, even if it were new, that's doesn't stop Battra from being a complete waste.
I'll back GXG up here, Battra is not by any means original. He's Bizzaro Mothra, and Bizzaro wasn't original when Bizzaro debuted in 56.

Reflection in a cracked mirror, is an old concept.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:

This. Like the idea, the prop not so much. Didn't help the movie sucked donkey ...
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Crocodile wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
I'll back GXG up here, Battra is not by any means original. He's Bizzaro Mothra, and Bizzaro wasn't original when Bizzaro debuted in 56.

Reflection in a cracked mirror, is an old concept.
Just because a concept is unoriginal doesn't make it a bad concept.

There are NO original ideas left. Haven't been for years. It's just a mishmash of old concepts.

And I never will understand how Battra IS Mothra. One is a moth. The only aesthetic similarity they have is the number of legs and being insectoid.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

When it's Battra, then it's a bad concept.
And I never will understand how Battra IS Mothra. One is a moth. The only aesthetic similarity they have is the number of legs and being insectoid.
Its not the look that makes them the same, its the concept of the two of them. In concept, they're the same: A monster that is meant to protect the planet from evil.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

A bit pig headed thing to say, no?
Sorry. I thought I had explained myself already, and didn't need to go into detail about it again.
Albeit, Battra is to protect the Earth no matter what. Mothra protects the Earth gently. Battra protects it harshly.
They're both still protectors of the earth. Like Crocodile said, "Reflection in a cracked mirror, is an old concept."
Last edited by GotengoXGodzilla on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Yin-Yang

2 halves, same coin.
Harshity and Tenderness

They're two halves of the same whole, 1 is whatever the other isn't
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I thought the whole backstory of the Cosmos/Ancient Civilization/Mothra/Battra thing was poorly explained and horribly contrived. But there's still alot going on just strictly with their defined roles, as Tyler explained.

Battra is my favorite Heisei monster, particularly the Larva form.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I have no use for Battra. Just a stiff amalgamation of Mothra and Megalon, and Rodan if you consider the roar.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
When it's Battra, then it's a bad concept.
Ya wanna make statements like that, I suggest providing proof.

You have an armored, semi-upright centipede... thing... with a giant horn on it's head in it's larval form, and then a giant insect gumbo in his adult form. How, exactly, is it a bad concept?

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Ya wanna make statements like that, I suggest providing proof.
I did. Multiple times.
I wrote:Battra is just a dark version of Mothra...and that's all we learn about him. The character is hardly explored in the film, and is only there to give Mothra something to fight. The design is...okay, but not the best I've seen. Overall, its just a forgettable character in a terrible film.
I wrote:Battra is Mothra, only darker. That's not new. Hell, even if it were new, that's doesn't stop Battra from being a complete waste.
You have an armored, semi-upright centipede... thing... with a giant horn on it's head in it's larval form, and then a giant insect gumbo in his adult form. How, exactly, is it a bad concept?
That doesn't stop Battra from being exactly like Mothra in concept. To me, the look means nothing if the monster isn't interesting. Battra is not interesting, because his concept is unoriginal and we learn nothing about him in the film other than the obvious. There's more to a monster than just its looks.