Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Re: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

Post by Kaijugriffey »

I just rewatched Gamera GOTU this afternoon. And one question kept popping up in my mind...

Who in the Royal Dutch Shell Marketing and Merchandising department thought it would be a good idea to grant a license to use their logos and name... TO A GAMERA MOVIE?!? I can only assume that whatever poor office drone signed off on that deal had never seen or heard of Kaiju? Ranking up there with whoever at IHOP thought doing product placement in "Man of Steel" would be a good thing.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Kaijugriffey wrote:I just rewatched Gamera GOTU this afternoon. And one question kept popping up in my mind...

Who in the Royal Dutch Shell Marketing and Merchandising department thought it would be a good idea to grant a license to use their logos and name... TO A GAMERA MOVIE?!? I can only assume that whatever poor office drone signed off on that deal had never seen or heard of Kaiju? Ranking up there with whoever at IHOP thought doing product placement in "Man of Steel" would be a good thing.
You know the old saying goes "there's no such thing as bad press"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Movies have been doing product placement and free advertising for awhile. I doubt they cared if it was kaiju, comedy, or romance, they got their name out where people could see it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Godzillian wrote:
Kaijugriffey wrote:I just rewatched Gamera GOTU this afternoon. And one question kept popping up in my mind...

You know the old saying goes "there's no such thing as bad press"
I don't know. An oil and gas company trying to project confidence in its ability to be safe and environmentally friendly, doing product or name placement in a Gamera movie seems like the "Jimmy Dean Sausage a Company" doing product placement in a Texas Chainsaw Masacre movie. No matter how you slice it, the message will not be what you intended.

Bubbazilla
Yojimbo

Post by Bubbazilla »

This film surpasses the darkest tone Gamera movie, 'Gamera vs. Barugon'[1966]. It is a giant monster classic, just like 'Rodan', 'Godzilla 1985' and Godzilla 2014, too. See it, it's a bargain time investment. A ten out of ten.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What's a "bargain time investment"?

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Bubbazilla wrote:This film surpasses the darkest tone Gamera movie, 'Gamera vs. Barugon'[1966]. It is a giant monster classic, just like 'Rodan', 'Godzilla 1985' and Godzilla 2014, too. See it, it's a bargain time investment. A ten out of ten.
Wouldn't exactly refer to Godzilla 2014 as a classic.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
Bubbazilla wrote:This film surpasses the darkest tone Gamera movie, 'Gamera vs. Barugon'[1966]. It is a giant monster classic, just like 'Rodan', 'Godzilla 1985' and Godzilla 2014, too. See it, it's a bargain time investment. A ten out of ten.
Wouldn't exactly refer to Godzilla 2014 as a classic.
Its the first Godzilla movie I've seen in a theater so, personally, its a classic.
^This post in sexually offensive.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Dillyziller wrote: Its the first Godzilla movie I've seen in a theater so, personally, its a classic.
And? Personal outlook matters little in this regard. I wouldn't even consider Godzilla 1984(1985) a classic. Still too young of a movie. Honestly the only Godzilla flick worthy of such a title would be the original and only the Japanese cut.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I think you could make an argument for King Kong vs Godzilla and Mothra vs Godzilla, at least.
Of course, I'm responding to a year-old post, so I digress. Anyway...

Watching GotU again recently, I was struck by an aspect of Asagi's character I hadn't noticed before. How should I put it: Asagi is like the "otaku hero" you might see in a fantasy anime, but without the "otaku-ness".
Let me explain better: Asagi seems to understand - or at least accept - events involving Gamera and Gyaos better than anyone else, and it seems to be due to her hobbies/interests. She recognizes Atlantis and the runes from fantasy novels, and her room contains various film merchandise and memorabilia - not excessively, but prominently. At the same time, Asagi never gets framed in a blatant hero light, or has any melodramatic moments. Even as her father and everyone else are still wrapping their brains around the concept of monsters and ancient civilizations - and even as she becomes connected to events in the most unexpectedly intimate way - Asagi just takes it all in stride. There's a hint of what might be "geekiness" in her, but it's balanced out with a strong grace.

I admit I'm not really going anywhere with this; it's just something I observed (and liked) upon my latest viewing. If someone else wants to weigh in, please do.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Tis a great movie. One of my all time favs. Everything from characters to monster scenes and miniatures. Top notch stuff
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like it but don't love it. It's definitely better and more inventive than the Godzilla films of that era. Still it's by far my least favorite of the trilogy. Love some of the cinematography and such but there's certain elements like an air of campiness and the horrible Gyaos puppets that really take me out of the film at points. Still I love the buildup and sense of mystery in the early goings of the film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

For me it's an okay film but it doesn't blow my mind like it's sequels. It just lacks a certain oomph. There are great moments, like when the Gyaos are first discovered and Gamera's iconic finishing move, but overall it doesn't seem like a kaiju movie with a ton of depth. It's stunningly well made though; there's little here that could truly be called a flaw, and that puts it above a lot of other daikaiju films in quality.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GotU is like calligraphy, though. One might only be writing a single word, but what's moving - even overwhelming - is the confident mastery with which the strokes are executed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm never really thought of Asagi as being a nerd to be honest. I figured coming in contact with the pendant explained thing for her BUT I think I do prefer the otaku idea since it strengths her a bit.

DaruniaDancing
Samurai

Post by DaruniaDancing »

This is probably a dumb complaint considering how silly the premise of the movie is ("giant turtle crashing through Tokoyo"), but what's the deal with Gamera having rocket boosters on his legs? I wasn't really a fan. Didn't really seem natural/biological. I would rather have him just be able to fly without the rockets.

P.S. This was my first Gamera film.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

DaruniaDancing wrote:This is probably a dumb complaint considering how silly the premise of the movie is ("giant turtle crashing through Tokoyo"), but what's the deal with Gamera having rocket boosters on his legs? I wasn't really a fan. Didn't really seem natural/biological. I would rather have him just be able to fly without the rockets.

Because it's cool.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

DaruniaDancing wrote:This is probably a dumb complaint considering how silly the premise of the movie is ("giant turtle crashing through Tokoyo"), but what's the deal with Gamera having rocket boosters on his legs? I wasn't really a fan. Didn't really seem natural/biological. I would rather have him just be able to fly without the rockets.

It's the plot of this movie that's he's a genetically engineered super weapon created by an ancient civilization. His body was manufactured more along the lines of a machine than an animal.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

Because it's cool.
And there's really not much that's natural about Gamera. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gamera was designed by Atlantis to kill the Gyaos, and the Gyaos can fly. It only makes sense that Gamera has flight capability.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.