Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4831
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby Tohosaurus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:43 pm

It was a decent monster movie, nothing more and nothing less. I still don't even have it on DVD, so I suppose that shows how important it is to me to acquire it.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

User avatar
attilagodzilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:40 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby attilagodzilla » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Tyler wrote:I think because some fans were exposed to the design at a younger age that they're able to accept it as opposed to older fans that find it appalling. I'm all for updating Godzilla and everything, but taking away his atomic breath and stuff just because it's not realistic is stupid. He's a giant monster. That isn't realistic to begin with. Plus atomic breath is cool.

See over 10 years later and we're still complaining... it will never stop.


i guess with younger fans you mean people from 15 years or younger like me.
yes then the desing is more acceptable but i really really don't want a gino like desing in 2012.I really hope the new one actually acts like the japanese because althoug i was first exposed to gino the japanes godzilla stays the coolest
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
GMK
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
The return of godzilla

User avatar
Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby Mini-Godzilla » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 am

I want him to look and act like Lou Diamond Phillips, personally.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

User avatar
attilagodzilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:40 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby attilagodzilla » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

No i want him to act like my cat because for some reason i think that my cat acts like heisei g :lol:

But now on topic who thoughtwhen they watched g98 for the first time that he was breathing fire
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
GMK
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
The return of godzilla

User avatar
Crocodile
Futurian
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm
Location: The Sadida Kingdom

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby Crocodile » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 pm

alienhulk2099 wrote:I don't know what a "GINO"


It's a Vagina doctor, for people who can't spell
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8543
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: American Godzilla Thread

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

attilagodzilla wrote:No i want him to act like my cat because for some reason i think that my cat acts like heisei g :lol:

But now on topic who thoughtwhen they watched g98 for the first time that he was breathing fire

I thought he was. That would be a logical assumption, but it was apparently the circumstances that beguiled me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.


Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

User avatar
GodzillaFan64
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:35 am
Location: I dunno

Zilla's design

Postby GodzillaFan64 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 am

Though I didn't like the movie, was I the only one who liked the design of Zilla? I didn't like him as a Godzilla monster, but I thought it looked awesome as a giant iguana. Thoughts?
SHADOW ARENA RECORD:
17 wins 19 losses

DESTROYAH!

Who in the name of holy crap is GINO? All I know is Zilla.

My massive tournament!
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5600

User avatar
Lord Gappa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm
Location: Zenith

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Lord Gappa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 am

Zilla's a pretty cool monster. But as a Godzilla? NO.
The design is pretty damn good if you ask me. He's not a beam spammer, and has that old fashioned dinosaurian look kaiju had in the 60's.
yaburu wrote:Oh knock it off ya bunch of wussies. Jerking off to a dead porn star is honoring her memory and legacy. You''re giving her your own 180 million-gun salute.


TK's resident bystander.

User avatar
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby TokyoVigilante » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:05 am

Where are you getting a sixties throwback vibe from? GINO is a standard modern portrayal of a Tyrannosaurus but with some dorsal fins and a chunky block head. GINO doesn't resemble anything made from that era.

GINO is a fine monster and not really notable, with the only defining trait being that it can run fast.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

User avatar
shinmattiathekaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2605
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Zilla's design

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 am

TokyoVigilante wrote:Where are you getting a sixties throwback vibe from? GINO is a standard modern portrayal of a Tyrannosaurus but with some dorsal fins and a chunky block head. GINO doesn't resemble anything made from that era.



And GINO doesn't have a cartoony look,so its impossible for GINO to reminds us of Showa Godzilla.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...



http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

User avatar
shinmattiathekaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2605
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Zilla's design

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:22 am

Tyler wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:And GINO doesn't have a cartoony look,so its impossible for GINO to reminds us of Showa Godzilla.


Good lord, man.


Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...



http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

User avatar
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4831
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 am

I like Zilla's design, and I actually liked the movie as a monster film. I don't get any sort of old fashioned vibe from it myself. It seems more like something out of Jurassic Park that's been mutated.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Gojira-Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 am

GINO is a T-rex with spikes.

Honestly, he reminds me more of Gorosaurus then Godzilla.

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8543
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Showa Gyaos » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 am

I like it. But I still prefer the traditional features Godzilla has.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.


Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HayesAJones
Keizer
Posts: 8932
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby HayesAJones » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

I like Zilla. He's no Godzilla, but he's a good monster on his own. Not a lot of giant monsters are noticeable for being fast and agile.

User avatar
Biollante
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Biollante » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:10 pm

It's not Godzilla but I like the concept of a giant, Iguana monster. Sort of reminds me of The Beast From 20,000 (it's a Rhedosaurus I know, but they look really similar)

My only complaint aside from not being Godzilla is a logistic issue, with how Zilla is not a herbivore, and for whatever reason shares traits of a Tyrannosaurus. Of course Emmerich made this movie so I should not expect him to care about inaccuracies.

User avatar
Biollante
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Biollante » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Tyler wrote:The American Godzilla has as much in common with the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms than he does with the original Japanese Godzilla. Meaning very little.

Imagine the Beast a Theropod and the resemblance would make more sense, they both have lizard like features, more so than Japanese Godzilla.

User avatar
Alucard
Kwaidan
Posts: 5510
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Alucard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 am

I always liked Zilla's design.It was more realistic then the Japanese Godzilla altough i still prefer the old one.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.


LIKE YO DICK!

User avatar
StonedHope
Interpol Agent
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, Canada

Re: Zilla's design

Postby StonedHope » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:40 am

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
kikomia wrote:I always liked Zilla's design.It was more realistic then the Japanese Godzilla altough i still prefer the old one.


Actually, Zilla's design is not as realistic as the original Toho one.

A quick pick at it reveals that its legs are too horrifically thin to actually support its weight. In the concept art, the legs were thick enough. The production crew, however, decided against it. Heisei Godzilla's hilariously large legs are actually more realistic. Those legs could support his full weight. Additionally, Godzilla's tripodal stance is also a little more realistic for a creature of that size; his entire weight it not suspended in the air by twig two legs.


I like your argument that Godzilla has a more of a realistic look. But I dont know if GINO's skinny legs are to unrealistic to hold him up. His long stiff tail (which I was never a fan of cause it couldn't whip or flop around) would support his weight distribution. Also his skinny legs remind me of large birds. Like an emu or a Canadian geese.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

User avatar
Motorheadbanger
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:33 pm
Location: Sidney, Indiana

Re: Zilla's design

Postby Motorheadbanger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 am

I think Zilla is a cool character with an interesting design. I would love to see him as the villain of a future Godzilla film.
Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests