Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Motorheadbanger
Monsterland Worker

Re: Zilla's design

Post by Motorheadbanger »

I love the design. I think it would make a great villain in a future Goji film (not just a "clay pigeon" like in GFW).
Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Motorheadbanger wrote:I love the design. I think it would make a great villain in a future Goji film (not just a "clay pigeon" like in GFW).
I really don't think that would go over well with the audience, because they might have the "you brought this thing back again? I'm leaving this dumb movie" Kind of reaction. At least, that's how I see it, Zilla had his rise to "stardom" (if you really want to call it that), and should be left out of any future Godzilla movies.

#BotM

godzilla96
Samurai

Post by godzilla96 »

I like him as zilla never as godzilla :g2k:
Godzilla is king of the monsters.

GodzillaFan64
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFan64 »

godzilla96 wrote:I like him as zilla never as godzilla :g2k:
Isn't that what pretty much everyone has said since I started this topic?
SHADOW ARENA RECORD:
17 wins 19 losses

DESTROYAH!

Who in the name of holy crap is GINO? All I know is Zilla.

My massive tournament!
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5600

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

I like his design, but he is not worthy to be a Godzilla, more like a Godzilla minion, or servant
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Since when does Godzilla have minions or servants? :eh:
That concept is not fitting for Godzilla.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I don't think that's quite the same; and that was only one instance anyway.

Zillaowner
G-Grasper

Post by Zillaowner »

I like Zilla's design, but the cartoon is a good way to say its Godzilla instead of the movie. Ya i said it, come at me.
Shadow Arena

Wins: 13 Loses: 8 OHKO: 3

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Post by ゴジラさん »

I enjoy Zilla's design and the movie itself. I recently re watched it, but found the most painful aspects of the movie to be in the casting and script, not Godzilla himself. Had that been better, I think the film would have been much more appreciated among critics and fans. It startled me just how similar it was (plot wise) to the original 1954 movie in regard to the Godzilla character arc.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

As his own monster, Zilla is pretty good but as a Godzilla well he's simply okay. I tend to look at the 1998 Godzilla film on its own merits. For what it is, GODZILLA (1998) is a pretty fun monster movie. Is it a masterpiece? Good god no. Is it a fun ride? To me, it is. Plus the acting wasn't a big problem for me like it is for other members.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sydney Aradi wrote:As his own monster, Zilla is pretty good but as a Godzilla well he's simply okay. I tend to look at the 1998 Godzilla film on its own merits. For what it is, GODZILLA (1998) is a pretty fun monster movie. Is it a masterpiece? Good god no. Is it a fun ride? To me, it is. Plus the acting wasn't a big problem for me like it is for other members.
Yeah, most of the acting isn't bad; it's exactly what the script calls for. It's really the tone of the script that is problematic, but that wouldn't be helped by the actors trying to work against it; that would make the movie worse.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Post by ゴジラさん »

Sydney Aradi wrote:As his own monster, Zilla is pretty good but as a Godzilla well he's simply okay. I tend to look at the 1998 Godzilla film on its own merits. For what it is, GODZILLA (1998) is a pretty fun monster movie. Is it a masterpiece? Good god no. Is it a fun ride? To me, it is. Plus the acting wasn't a big problem for me like it is for other members.
I think Matthew Broderick is good pretty much all the time (in this movie, he made the most out of what was given to him). Hank Azaria and Jean Reno aren't TERRIBLE, either. But good God almighty Maria Pitillo drags every scene she's in down so much.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

It's a pretty solid design for a monster. The movie itself isn't too shabby, either. [insert typical "Not Godzilla" comment]

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

I thought it was ok...as its own monster.
Tyler wrote:Neither of them are realistic. People just think GINO is cause he walks like a T-Rex. And he's CGI.
Pretty much. Kinda annoying when I see people say Zilla is better than that "fake" Japanese Godzilla.
Think one time I saw some guy say that the US film was superior and that the Japanese could learn from that movie...and stuff like "US Godzilla all the way".
I don't even...
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ In those situations, you keep a cool head & ask them WHY, exactly, they consider GINO to be better - as well as if they have actually SEEN any of the Japanese films. ;-)

You may not be able to convince them, but at least you may be able to come to an understanding.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

^Actually, I wasn't really talking with them. Just kinda chuckled and passed through.
I did find it strange but I considered it was their opinion and moved on.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

amalgam
Ronin

Post by amalgam »

I like the design but like many other not as Godzilla. I prefer the cartoon series over the film but i still refer him as a Zilla species named "Godzilla" like a dog or cat that named as such.

I tend to see the entire Zilla species as a bad love child between Gorosaurus and Godzilla that they disowned when they tried to breed was a bad idea offscreen . I mean he looks like what a Gorosaurus may look if updated since abilities was so almost identical. It just my excuse to tolerate the design each time I see it, I just can never see it as Godzilla just a bad black sheep of a kid that Godzilla trying to forget a bad night getting wild with a female Gorosaurus.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

My best Memories of Zilla are of the animated series.

As for the movie itself...You all have to understand, Back in the 90's the basic mentality was that if you do what they did back in the 50 or 70's it's gonna look stupid on screen. That was why we had a bad Street Fighter movie and a bad Mario Brothers movie and a bad Steel movie. What looks good on cartoons looks stupid in live action! That's what they thought.

The reason Zilla 1 got wiped so easily because they thought a mutant being indestructible just cause it got nuked was silly.

The reason he was a lizard instead of Dinosaur is because A dinosaur would have been far fetched and Corny

Of course today we're all pretty much up for anything but still

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Because an iguana turning into a massive monster via a nuclear explosion is perfectly acceptable.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Megaton17 wrote:Didn't like how Zilla was portrayed in the film, but I like his movements in Godzilla The Series a lot more.

Personally I think he should have looked like this, taking some features from the Delgado design:

http://hellbender93.deviantart.com/art/ ... -182841997
I don't mind the design but I don't see why everyone thinks Godzilla has to have a f*cking six-pack.
Godzilla165 wrote:
Motorheadbanger wrote:I love the design. I think it would make a great villain in a future Goji film (not just a "clay pigeon" like in GFW).
I really don't think that would go over well with the audience, because they might have the "you brought this thing back again? I'm leaving this dumb movie" Kind of reaction. At least, that's how I see it, Zilla had his rise to "stardom" (if you really want to call it that), and should be left out of any future Godzilla movies.
I agree with Godzilla165. I would rather have GINO's existence ignored henceforth in films.
Rody wrote:Since when does Godzilla have minions or servants? :eh:
That concept is not fitting for Godzilla.
Well he is the monster king. Kings usually have subjects. Although I would rather the monsters not speak and order each other around like in GvG.