Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Re: Zilla's design

Post by StonedHope »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
StonedHope wrote:I like your argument that Godzilla has a more of a realistic look. But I dont know if GINO's skinny legs are to unrealistic to hold him up. His long stiff tail (which I was never a fan of cause it couldn't whip or flop around) would support his weight distribution. Also his skinny legs remind me of large birds. Like an emu or a Canadian geese.
...What? G'98's tail in no way supports his weight. His legs carry it all. All the tail does is counterbalance his front half so that his center of gravity is in his hips.
Read carefully.
Counterbalance = Support his weight distribution.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

GodzillaFan64
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFan64 »

StonedHope wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:
StonedHope wrote:I like your argument that Godzilla has a more of a realistic look. But I dont know if GINO's skinny legs are to unrealistic to hold him up. His long stiff tail (which I was never a fan of cause it couldn't whip or flop around) would support his weight distribution. Also his skinny legs remind me of large birds. Like an emu or a Canadian geese.
...What? G'98's tail in no way supports his weight. His legs carry it all. All the tail does is counterbalance his front half so that his center of gravity is in his hips.
Read carefully.
Counterbalance = Support his weight distribution.
But if he was running at 400 kilometers per hour, as his TK bio suggests, his rather short tail would prove worthless because the wind resistance would cause his pencil legs to snap back. On the other hand, there is a horizontal bend after his knee which would help distribute his weight through his legs. kind of like a human's toes, just bigger.
SHADOW ARENA RECORD:
17 wins 19 losses

DESTROYAH!

Who in the name of holy crap is GINO? All I know is Zilla.

My massive tournament!
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5600

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: Heisei Godzilla's hilariously large legs are actually more realistic. Those legs could support his full weight.
....So, it's not about being realistic, just about looking plausible. The Heisei Godzilla could not exist as he does unless his body tissue is impossibly dense. But that's what's great about fantasy, we can just say "yup, that must be the mutation at work", and then continue to enjoy the movie. I don't like GINO's movie any more than the next guy, but I wouldn't give the SFX guys hell based on physics issues that could never be resolved without willing suspension of disbelief.
:huge: Thanks for bringing that to the discussion.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Wouldn't Heisei Godzilla be more realistic because he moves slower, though? That's one thing that bothered me about the American Godzilla, he moved to damn fast.

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

Well Zilla's a mutated Marine Iguana and they're somewhat fast on land. (I think)

Still, they're practically immobile during cold mornings so that wouldn't explain why Zilla was so active in New York, didn't the film take place during winter? Been a while since I've seen it.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Repeat to yourself: It's only a movie, only a movie, only a movie, only a movie...
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

No, I have to question every slight error that goes against my immersion.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Then you must despise every Godzilla film ever made. :P
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Biollante wrote:Well Zilla's a mutated Marine Iguana and they're somewhat fast on land. (I think)

Still, they're practically immobile during cold mornings so that wouldn't explain why Zilla was so active in New York, didn't the film take place during winter? Been a while since I've seen it.
It was probably in the Spring. Rain never ceased during the movie.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Biollante wrote:Well Zilla's a mutated Marine Iguana and they're somewhat fast on land. (I think)

Well, he still would not be able to run that fast if he was that size, regardless of being mutated from an iguana. It's just physics.

While I am not saying that it makes the movie worse, I do like how Emmerich was talking about how more realistic his Godzilla would be compared to the original, and his actually ended up being less realistic.

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

Gojira-Fan wrote: I do like how Emmerich was talking about how more realistic his Godzilla would be compared to the original, and his actually ended up being less realistic.
A giant Iguana that can't control its tail. :|

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Tyler wrote:Godzilla should moonwalk in a movie.
If only you had presented that idea to Toho in the showa era...

GodzillaFan64
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFan64 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Tyler wrote:Godzilla should moonwalk in a movie.
If only you had presented that idea to Toho in the showa era...
I bet they would have done it, too.

Then again, MJ wasn't really famous until the '80s.
SHADOW ARENA RECORD:
17 wins 19 losses

DESTROYAH!

Who in the name of holy crap is GINO? All I know is Zilla.

My massive tournament!
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5600

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

I liked the design of Zilla. I like the movie as a whole, actually. Only when it's not looked at as a Godzilla movie. As a seperate monster, Zilla looks like a boss.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Megaton17
Monarch Researcher

Post by Megaton17 »

Didn't like how Zilla was portrayed in the film, but I like his movements in Godzilla The Series a lot more.

Personally I think he should have looked like this, taking some features from the Delgado design:

http://hellbender93.deviantart.com/art/ ... -182841997

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:Where are you getting a sixties throwback vibe from? GINO is a standard modern portrayal of a Tyrannosaurus but with some dorsal fins and a chunky block head. GINO doesn't resemble anything made from that era.
And GINO doesn't have a cartoony look,so its impossible for GINO to reminds us of Showa Godzilla.
Whoa, guys. Maybe he can just see something in him that you don't.

Anyway, Zilla does have something kinda unique about him. Maybe it's his resemblance to The Beast but I'm not sure.

I like him in a way.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I like Zilla's design, but I just get irritated as SKREEONK when people say that he looks FAR BETTER than the 'Fake Looking' Japanese Godzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Zilla's design reflects what he is; a giant lizard. The dorsal spines are just decoration that make it look like the Godzilla people know.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

I was fine with the design, but I can't stand here and that was Godzilla.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I really liked Zilla's design. I liked it so much that I have an almost 2 foot model of him in my computer room. I also like the movie a great deal. Its fun. However, I don't think of this monster as Godzilla.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/