RoM 2 ??? What the heck?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RoM 2 ??? What the heck?

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla's Revenge is a much better movie than any of the RoM flicks, in my opinion. It has a stronger story and characterization, better direction, and an overall more interesting and memorable aesthetic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Goji wrote:It's quite easily the worst Toho daikaiju film of all time (seriously, what's worse than this?). It's literally unwatchable to me.
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla Final Wars
So basically in this topic
"WAS MADE FOR KIDS, IS BAD! LITERATE HITLER MADE THIS ZOMG"

Jesus christ. It was made after the popularity of Godzilla was fading, they literally just got done KILLING Godzilla. Sorry it couldn't be Gamera trilogy tier, but it was OK for what it was. A yearly film to fill the quota until 1998/1999 -_-
There's never an excuse for a low quality film

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Yet you're praising Revenge, which was 90 percent scenes from other movies and shit kidnapping plots.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Goji wrote:It's quite easily the worst Toho daikaiju film of all time (seriously, what's worse than this?). It's literally unwatchable to me.
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla Final Wars
So basically in this topic
"WAS MADE FOR KIDS, IS BAD! LITERATE HITLER MADE THIS ZOMG"

Jesus christ. It was made after the popularity of Godzilla was fading, they literally just got done KILLING Godzilla. Sorry it couldn't be Gamera trilogy tier, but it was OK for what it was. A yearly film to fill the quota until 1998/1999 -_-
Okay, first of all, I get where you're coming from but none of the films you've listed are even close to being worse than Rebirth of Mothra 2. I actually kind of enjoy the first and third Mothra films a little bit, but this one is the pits. Sure, Aqua Mothra is awesome, but she isn't given much to do and the rest of the film is utterly tedious.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Aaaand Revenge isn't? Final Wars isn't? Megalon isn't? Yeah, just keep in mind, the damn RoM films are meant for small girls, and also takes ques from anime.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

eabaker wrote:Godzilla's Revenge is a much better movie than any of the RoM flicks, in my opinion. It has a stronger story and characterization, better direction, and an overall more interesting and memorable aesthetic.
Quoted for truth.

ROM2 has one thing going for it - Dagarah. I really like ROM Trilogy's villain kaiju designs, but their execution is terrible. Revenge at least has solid characters.

ROM is a decent movie - I love the score - but the next two suck. As cool as Grand King Ghidorah is, the final battle is dumb.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Pfft. I like how that quote was from FIVE years ago.

This guy keeps getting triggered by ROM 2 related posts of mine. I don't know if that's sad, or hilarious.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Goji wrote:Pfft. I like how that quote was from FIVE years ago.

This guy keeps getting triggered by ROM 2 related posts of mine. I don't know if that's sad, or hilarious.
Trigger me timbers! You set off my PTSD matey!

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

LamangoKaijura wrote:Aaaand Revenge isn't? Final Wars isn't? Megalon isn't? Yeah, just keep in mind, the damn RoM films are meant for small girls, and also takes ques from anime.
You're asking me if Final Wars and Megalon are tedious? The answer is absolutely not. Megalon used to be my least favorite Godzilla film of all time, bordering on ahtred, and I still would have said I liked it better than ROM2.

And "it's meant for small girls and takes cues from Anime" means nothing. Final Wars takes cues from Anime and The Matrix, and Megalon takes cues from Ultraman but you seem to think they're awful anyway.

If anything, "it's for kids" is the just the aggravating excuse filmmakers give for being lazy and not caring if the movie is any good.
Last edited by RandomDeinonychus on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Aaaand Revenge isn't? Final Wars isn't? Megalon isn't? Yeah, just keep in mind, the damn RoM films are meant for small girls, and also takes ques from anime.
You're asking me if Final Wars and Megalon are tedious? The answer is absolutely not. megalon use dto be my least favorite Godzilla film of all time, bordering on ahtred, and I still would have said I liked it better than ROM2.
I do find Final Wars kind of tedious, just because it doesn't really vary its rhythm at all. But, just the same, I find RoM 2 to be more tedious.

But Megalon? Tedious? Hardly. It may not be a very good movie in most respects, but it is strangely attention grabbing. It's at least a movie with some personality, with RoM 2 is not.
If anything, "it's for kids" is the just the aggravating excuse filmmakers give for being lazy and not caring if the movie is any good.
Y'know, I've never actually heard a filmmaker use that excuse. It's more an argument that comes from armchair reviewers who don't want to make the effort of considering what makes a good kids' movie different from a bad kids' movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Final Wars takes cues from Anime and The Matrix,
Not takes, steals.
Also, steals from X-men, Starwars, Matrix, Dragon Ball Z. Then the director remembered he was making a Godzilla film.

You guys probably didn't even notice King Caesar's face in the Ninai Kanai pyramid.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The only faces I recall are the towers, and they bore a resemblance to the Quetzalcoatl heads on MesoAmerican pyramids.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

While I'm no fan of either movie, I'll watch Rebirth of Mothra 2 over Godzilla's Revenge any day of the week. At least RoM's kaiju scenes weren't almost all stock footage from previous films.

Those two films represent the only Toho kaiju/sci films that I actually dislike, though, so being slightly more tolerable than Godzilla's Revenge still doesn't do the movie any favors.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

eabaker wrote: But Megalon? Tedious? Hardly. It may not be a very good movie in most respects, but it is strangely attention grabbing. It's at least a movie with some personality, with RoM 2 is not.
RoM2 might be annoying as Hell, but you can't argue that it doesn't have personality. It's very much a light weight, high flying adventure for children. To a fault, in fact. But it doesn't have less "personality" than Megalon.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
eabaker wrote: But Megalon? Tedious? Hardly. It may not be a very good movie in most respects, but it is strangely attention grabbing. It's at least a movie with some personality, whichh RoM 2 is not.
RoM2 might be annoying as Hell, but you can't argue that it doesn't have personality. It's very much a light weight, high flying adventure for children. To a fault, in fact. But it doesn't have less "personality" than Megalon.
I find RoM2 to have an affectation of personality; it feels entirely performative and contrived. Megalon doesn't really know what it wants to be, on the other hand, but manages to stumble into a unique, weird, but ultimately organic je ne sais quoi.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Not takes, steals.
Also, steals from X-men, Starwars, Matrix, Dragon Ball Z. Then the director remembered he was making a Godzilla film.
Okay, so where do you draw the line between "takes cues" and "steals"? Because the Rebirth of Mothra movies steal just as blatantly. Aqua Mothra's whole appearance ends up basically being a Star Wars rip-off (in the exact same way that Final Wars steals from it) and the invisible bridge in an ancient ruin is ripped from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. And that's just what I remember since the last time I watched it was just to show my 2-year-old son the monster bits.

Just say you like ROM2 better than Final Wars, Megalon, and Revenge and leave it at that, because that's your opinion. I disagree strongly, but I can't very well tell you you're wrong because you don't dislike the movie like I do--yet you keep defending the film by criticizing the other films for the same sins ROM2 is guilty of.

I will say, that I don't know if ROM2 is the worst daikaiju film Toho ever produced because Space Amoeba exists and if it's not an outright worse film, then it's definitely a tie.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
Not takes, steals.
Okay, so where do you draw the line between "takes cues" and "steals"? Because the Rebirth of Mothra movies steal just as blatantly. Aqua Mothra's whole appearance ends up basically being a Star Wars rip-off (in the exact same way that Final Wars steals from it) and the invisible bridge in an ancient ruin is ripped from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. And that's just what I remember since the last time I watched it was just to show my 2-year-old son the monster bits.

Just say you like ROM2 better than Final Wars, Megalon, and Revenge and leave it at that, because that's your opinion. I disagree strongly, but I can't very well tell you you're wrong because you don't dislike the movie like I do--yet you keep defending the film by criticizing the other films for the same sins ROM2 is guilty of.

I will say, that I don't know if ROM2 is the worst daikaiju film Toho ever produced because Space Amoeba exists and if it's not an outright worse film, then it's definitely a tie.
Lmfao so much butt hurt. Aqua Mothra didn't steal anything from Star Wars it just ended up with a similar design by chance especially when you see a lot of the concept art for Aqua Mothra.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Godzillian wrote:Lmfao so much butt hurt. Aqua Mothra didn't steal anything from Star Wars it just ended up with a similar design by chance especially when you see a lot of the concept art for Aqua Mothra.
I wasn't referring to the design*, I was referring to the fact that she turns into a horde of tiny Mothras and does a recreation of the second Death Star run on Daghara. Again, the exact same way that Final Wars rips off Star Wars.

*Seriously, how is the design a Star Wars rip-off? Because her wings form an X shape?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RandomDeinonychus wrote: I will say, that I don't know if ROM2 is the worst daikaiju film Toho ever produced because Space Amoeba exists and if it's not an outright worse film, then it's definitely a tie.
Space Amoeba is hardly a crowning achievement, I agree, however, it does have the advantage of featuring some of Toho's best actors of it's day, an Ifukube score, and at the very least, some fun sequences; even if the SPX work is definitely a step down from some of the stuff they were producing in the '60s. Those reasons alone make it far more watchable than tripe like ROM 2, which is truly bottom of the barrel stuff. Not even SpaceGodzilla is as bad, and that's really saying something, but to each his own I suppose..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Lmfao so much butt hurt. Aqua Mothra didn't steal anything from Star Wars it just ended up with a similar design by chance especially when you see a lot of the concept art for Aqua Mothra.
I wasn't referring to the design*, I was referring to the fact that she turns into a horde of tiny Mothras and does a recreation of the second Death Star run on Daghara. Again, the exact same way that Final Wars rips off Star Wars.

*Seriously, how is the design a Star Wars rip-off? Because her wings form an X shape?
That's not really a star wars rip off. Lots of movie have similar sequences