Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
BooLugosi
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Postby BooLugosi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 am

I saw this thread so I thought I'd give my thoughts on this entry... Meh. It's okay. I think it only gets the praise it does because of the tear jerker ending. I really don't find much interest in Destoroyah. He's a cool concept but the final form design is executed so poorly. I mean, it can barely even move. The smaller forms of Destoroyah are actually way more interesting and intimidating. Burning G is cool though and it's definitely one of the most convincing looking designs due to the execution and robotics in the suit. Jr. is pretty cool looking too. It's nice having a competently designed "Son of Gojira" even if it's only in this entry. Momoko Kochi reprising her role as Emiko is a plus. I wish she would of played a more major role in the film though. The rest of the characters are pretty boring and poorly written. Even the character of Miki is pretty boring in this one. I think that's the biggest problem with this film. It's boring and mediocre. A downgrade from previous entries of the Heisei series. 3/5

Coobzilla03
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Coobzilla03 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:36 pm

This film is OK I guess. I watched it last about 5 months ago.. I don't remember anything about it, bar the heart string pulling end. Destroyah is a good kaiju in a bad movie. Burning Godzilla is a pretty interesting idea, too. The ending is pretty sad, and ends in a cliff-hanger, which is a pretty acceptable ending. The human parts are pretty slow, but the gunfight with the smaller Destroyahs was pretty cool. I give it a 6/10 for trying.
Tohokingdom's local Wumbologist! It's 1st grade!
Resized Image

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 pm

The effects work is really inconsistent at times in this one. Nothing as obvious as say, Godzilla's tail falling off multiple times in SpaceGodzilla, but there's a lot of times where it looks like the optical department forgot to add rays and whatnot to shots that were clearly shot with them in mind.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Legion1979 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm

That's also something that bugs the crap out of me with those last three Heisei films. There'll be plenty of scenes with no animated rays, but explosions and sparks flying everywhere regardless.

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I LOVE this movie. It's my 2nd favorite of the whole franchise. I just love the effects, story, characters, the fact that we see that Godzilla cry when Jr was killed, and that Destoroyah was, IMO, Godzilla's ultimate foe. I also loved Godzilla's death, of course, for how sad it was.

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Honestly this is my favorite movie in the franchise and my overall favorite movie. There are just so many good things about this movie.

The designs of Burning Godzilla, Destroyah, and Godzilla Jr were all really great. The atmosphere was good. The characters were average, except Miki, with this being her best role in the series. The effects and explosions were great. The gunfight between the soldiers and the Destroyahs was really cool. The emotional aspect of the film was very strong. From the very beginning you can see Godzilla is in pain. And the entire movie, he is just trying to reach his son, to see him one last time. And when they finally do, that moment is robbed from him and he is forced to watch his son get killed by Destroyah. This is only the second time in the entire franchise Godzilla actually cries, and you can understand why. Then you see the rage in his eyes as his relentlessly attacks Destroyah, his true power is revealed. The sheer amount of destruction his beam causes is a sight to see and the final battle between him and Destroyah is my favorite Kaiju fight of all time. Then afterwards, Godzilla slowly and painfully melts down, all alone. But as his last will, he sends his energies to Jr, reviving him to a full grown form. It is just an amazing movie. And watching Jr grow up through the series, and fight his own battles, then seeing him get killed were almost as sad. Overall an amazing movie. 10/10
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Really like this one. Overall 8/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:22 pm

gzillafan17 wrote:Honestly this is my favorite movie in the franchise and my overall favorite movie. There are just so many good things about this movie.

The designs of Burning Godzilla, Destroyah, and Godzilla Jr were all really great. The atmosphere was good. The characters were average, except Miki, with this being her best role in the series. The effects and explosions were great. The gunfight between the soldiers and the Destroyahs was really cool. The emotional aspect of the film was very strong. From the very beginning you can see Godzilla is in pain. And the entire movie, he is just trying to reach his son, to see him one last time. And when they finally do, that moment is robbed from him and he is forced to watch his son get killed by Destroyah. This is only the second time in the entire franchise Godzilla actually cries, and you can understand why. Then you see the rage in his eyes as his relentlessly attacks Destroyah, his true power is revealed. The sheer amount of destruction his beam causes is a sight to see and the final battle between him and Destroyah is my favorite Kaiju fight of all time. Then afterwards, Godzilla slowly and painfully melts down, all alone. But as his last will, he sends his energies to Jr, reviving him to a full grown form. It is just an amazing movie. And watching Jr grow up through the series, and fight his own battles, then seeing him get killed were almost as sad. Overall an amazing movie. 10/10

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Couldn't have said it better.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:36 pm

I also want to mention, the scenes with Godzilla melting and him trudging over to Jr, are up there with the saddest moments in TV for me, with the likes of Marley and Me and Hachi ( these movies are the reasons I don't watch dog movies, other than comedies), Doctor Who Ten regenerating into eleven, and the ending of La Bamba.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

GODZILLA2877
Interpol Agent

Postby GODZILLA2877 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 pm

I give the movie a 9/10.

Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 am

Also what helps make it good is the fact Destoroyah is essentially Godzilla's doomsday. He was the ultimate villain, and that concept was executed really well.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Also what helps make it good is the fact Destoroyah is essentially Godzilla's doomsday. He was the ultimate villain, and that concept was executed really well.

I think the biggest problem I have with Destoroyah's execution is with the final stage. You never see the poor dude walk, he largely stands in place. I wish there'd been more moments where the two rivals had met each other halfway on the ground, charging at one another, instead of Godzilla having to do all the work while Destoroyah rather stiffly flies around.

There are moments when Destoroyah does actually use its legs, like when it has Godzilla caught in its tail; Destoroyah spins in place to toss him, and the movements looked good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 am

Personally, I feel as if one's opinion of this movie hinges entirely upon their thoughts of the Heisei series as a whole. I love the Heisei series, so of course I love this movie.
It is probably my favorite movie in the franchise, or at least 2nd favorite. The emotion in this movie is something the franchise rarely tries for and succeeds with, the characters are at some of their best, the effects are great, Destoroyah is an awesome villain with an amazing backstory that ties perfectly into the lore, and the ending to this movie is amazing.
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I just write because i go "Wow that would be fucken cool, dinosors punching the poop out of eachother"

King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 am

I dunno; I love Heisei best of all series', but found this fillm to be pretty flat and lifeless.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm

This movie can have some poor pacing and lacking dialogue in scenes, but overall it's a successful end to the Hesie era. The film gave Godzilla the most emotion he's ever shown, and the BG suit is a striking and dramatic change to the character. It's stunning to look at. Meanwhile, Destroyah is a devil of a foe, sadistic, powerful, and hard to kill. The flying form is allright, but the giant aggregate form was a terrifying beast. I loved it.

I wish I could say more about the human characters, but they're very much in the middle of the road. There's not much to distinguish them from other Hesie characters, but the college student does show some promise when we first meet him. He's got real enthusiasm and builds another connection to the first film. However, he becomes just another face in G Force after he joins the group. I don't have anything bad to say about the characters, but they could be more memorable.

Lastly, they handle Godzilla's death quite well. The cause of his demise is done in a plausible manner, and the suit actor portrays a monster who's in pain. And when the end does come, it's handled with grace and respect. It's a big, radioactive, prehistoric monster, but you feel sympathy for that big, radioactive, prehistoric monster. The ending with Junior is also a clever way for Toho to leave the door open for more films, as well as bring justice for the murder of Junior.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 am

I have a question: did Destoroyah's ray kill Junior or did the fall do it? We never could clearly tell in the film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 am

Kaijunator wrote:I have a question: did Destoroyah's ray kill Junior or did the fall do it? We never could clearly tell in the film.

My opinion is was the fall mixed with exhaustion from his earlier battle with the aggregate form. I thought he died right before Godzilla's eyes before Destroyah's beam hit him.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

SuperPawnageGigan
Interpol Agent

Postby SuperPawnageGigan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

i love this movie it is my 3rd favorite godzilla film of all time i cried when jr. and godzilla died
but the part when jr. is a adult i clapped and cheered and did you know the roar when jr. is a adult is the 1962 roar of godzilla
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 am

SuperPawnageGigan wrote: did you know the roar when jr. is a adult is the 1962 roar of godzilla

I think everyone knew that.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Kaijunator wrote:I think everyone knew that.

I actually didn't... :?

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”