Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by Godzillafan11 »

I did NOT care for the Ending; i rather if Godzilla took out Derstroyah then him and JR went back into the sea and left ! I dont care when they reboot the series ! :mad:
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla dying isn't easy to watch, but it was dramatic.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Zarm wrote: (Total side note; were the Super X III pilots anyone we knew? I didn't recognize them- but the way the general said 'the main up there in the office is the ONLY one who can pilot SXIII,' and then the faces were kept hidden by hat brims, and revealed semi-dramatically as the ship prepared to lift off, made me think I was supposed to recognize them, but I didn't.)
I believe it's supposed to be Kuroki from Godzilla vs. Biollante. The actor is different. Masahiro Takashima plays the role now, which belonged to his brother.
Odd, esp since he'd previously played a different role in GvMG2. I assumed it was Kuroki straight away though, they resemble each other enough that I just assumed the original actor looked a bit different than I remember him.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Easily one of my favorites, third to be exact.
The dark mood, burning Godzilla, Destoroyah, Godzilla Jr, and fantastic cinematography make this a classic. This film doesn't receive enough love.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Anguirus wrote:fantastic cinematography
Can you give some examples of what you'd consider fantastic cinematography in this movie? I find most of the lighting and compositions okay, but nothing especially striking or memorable.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

So, I read on wikipedia a recently (I know I know, not a reliable source) that Destroyah was able to become the final form because when he drive his Xenomorph-like mouth piece into Junior, he absorbed his cells or something along those lines. Is there any truth to that? I've only seen the Tri-star dub, and I always thought that the "Destroyah is inserting micro-oxygen into Junior, Junior won't live much longer," line just always made me scratch my head. Was there something lost in translation there?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

KingKaiju wrote:So, I read on wikipedia a recently (I know I know, not a reliable source) that Destroyah was able to become the final form because when he drive his Xenomorph-like mouth piece into Junior, he absorbed his cells or something along those lines. Is there any truth to that? I've only seen the Tri-star dub, and I always thought that the "Destroyah is inserting micro-oxygen into Junior, Junior won't live much longer," line just always made me scratch my head. Was there something lost in translation there?
Yeah, that's not true

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Hahahaha nope.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Anguirus wrote:Easily one of my favorites, third to be exact.
The dark mood, burning Godzilla, Destoroyah, Godzilla Jr, and fantastic cinematography make this a classic. This film doesn't receive enough love.
I like it too EXCEPT the ending ; I rather if Godzilla took out Destroyah NOT JSDF :( and Godzilla some how survived and JR also ! :D
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Junior did survive in a fashion. He's now the new Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

No matter how many times I try picking this one up, I can't get into it. A lot of the material in it had good potential, but the finished result was just...lacking.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KingKaiju wrote:So, I read on wikipedia a recently (I know I know, not a reliable source) that Destroyah was able to become the final form because when he drive his Xenomorph-like mouth piece into Junior, he absorbed his cells or something along those lines. Is there any truth to that? I've only seen the Tri-star dub, and I always thought that the "Destroyah is inserting micro-oxygen into Junior, Junior won't live much longer," line just always made me scratch my head. Was there something lost in translation there?
More likely it was because of the fire from the power plant he was knocked into. I dunno why, but fire seems to allow Destoroyah's microbes to reproduce, and thus grow in size. It happened before with the flame throwers against the crabs.

Could be possible that the energy from the heat gives them the energy they need for reproduction, where as extreme cold (IE: A lack of energy) prevents them from reproducing.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^Kaiju-King42, thats a pretty good observation, i never noticed that. I assumed that Destoroyah was still evolving and maturing
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
More likely it was because of the fire from the power plant he was knocked into. I dunno why, but fire seems to allow Destoroyah's microbes to reproduce, and thus grow in size. It happened before with the flame throwers against the crabs.

Could be possible that the energy from the heat gives them the energy they need for reproduction, where as extreme cold (IE: A lack of energy) prevents them from reproducing.
Actually... That makes a lot of sense. I always thought that he was just not to his final form yet, but that really works.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I thought the scientist said Destroyah was drawing power out of Junior and inserting micro oxygen.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Micro oxygen ≠ oxygen destroyer, correct?

Why do they imply Destoroyah is akin to a living oxygen destroyer in this film? Is this a dubbing issue? Haven't watched the subbed version in some time

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

shadowgigan wrote:Micro oxygen ≠ oxygen destroyer, correct?

Why do they imply Destoroyah is akin to a living oxygen destroyer in this film? Is this a dubbing issue? Haven't watched the subbed version in some time
Because Destroyah was born from the oxygen destroyer. The film even discusses the connection between micro oxygen and the oxygen destroyer

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah, I understand that. But what is the micro oxygen ray, etc actually doing? I wish they would have explained micro oxygen more.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I saw this thread so I thought I'd give my thoughts on this entry... Meh. It's okay. I think it only gets the praise it does because of the tear jerker ending. I really don't find much interest in Destoroyah. He's a cool concept but the final form design is executed so poorly. I mean, it can barely even move. The smaller forms of Destoroyah are actually way more interesting and intimidating. Burning G is cool though and it's definitely one of the most convincing looking designs due to the execution and robotics in the suit. Jr. is pretty cool looking too. It's nice having a competently designed "Son of Gojira" even if it's only in this entry. Momoko Kochi reprising her role as Emiko is a plus. I wish she would of played a more major role in the film though. The rest of the characters are pretty boring and poorly written. Even the character of Miki is pretty boring in this one. I think that's the biggest problem with this film. It's boring and mediocre. A downgrade from previous entries of the Heisei series. 3/5

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This film is OK I guess. I watched it last about 5 months ago.. I don't remember anything about it, bar the heart string pulling end. Destroyah is a good kaiju in a bad movie. Burning Godzilla is a pretty interesting idea, too. The ending is pretty sad, and ends in a cliff-hanger, which is a pretty acceptable ending. The human parts are pretty slow, but the gunfight with the smaller Destroyahs was pretty cool. I give it a 6/10 for trying.
Resized Image