Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by jackzilla »

Does anyone know about how well this movie did box office wise in Japan when it came out back in 1995? Since they plastered the marketing of the movie with GODZILLA DIES, I assume this movie made some decent coin when it came out.
Last edited by jackzilla on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE KING

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

jackzilla wrote:Does anyone know about how well this movie did box office wise in Japan when it came out back in 1995? Since they plastered the marketing of the movie with GODZILLA DIES, I assume this movie made some decent coin when it came out.
Attendance was 4 million tickets, the 2nd highest for the Heisei series , Godzilla Vs Mothra being the highest of the Heisei at 4.2 million tickets. However even Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla pulled in 3.4 million, the Heisei low point was was Godzilla Vs Biollante at 2 million tickets.

I have the charts for attendance at the bottom of this post for more information http://jokercluster.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... rst_7.html
Or you can check on wikipedia for the Godzilla Franchise https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(franchise)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Does anyone know where I could find the alternate ending? I looked all over YouTube and I couldn't find it.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone know where I could find the alternate ending? I looked all over YouTube and I couldn't find it.
The first minute and a half of (this video) shows the Destoroyah chest beam sequence, but after that is probably what you're looking for.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GigaBowserG wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone know where I could find the alternate ending? I looked all over YouTube and I couldn't find it.
The first minute and a half of (this video) shows the Destoroyah chest beam sequence, but after that is probably what you're looking for.
Thank you so much for sharing this, I've never seen it. So cool.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Whoa! Talk about 'respect Burning Godzilla'-
Spoiler:
His retaliation is to just straight-up blast a hole all the way through Destroyah's chest in one shot, like he did to that skyscraper in 1985. Dang, that was epic!
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:Whoa! Talk about 'respect Burning Godzilla'-
Spoiler:
His retaliation is to just straight-up blast a hole all the way through Destroyah's chest in one shot, like he did to that skyscraper in 1985. Dang, that was epic!
Don't think you have to worry about spoiling a movie from '95, Zarm ;)

But yeah, this scene was really pretty fantastic.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, didn't want to spoil this scene before someone gets a chance to view it. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl37XiY ... e=youtu.be

Didn't really feel like make a whole topic for this so I'm dumpin' it here. This is how I think Heisei Godzilla turned into Burning Godzilla.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl37XiY ... e=youtu.be

Didn't really feel like make a whole topic for this so I'm dumpin' it here. This is how I think Heisei Godzilla turned into Burning Godzilla.
You know, for as often as Burning G comes up in conversation, not once did I ever think of how the "burning" look would've developed on his body. Extremely well done! :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl37XiY ... e=youtu.be

WHOA. That was awesome!

Maranatha!

NEWvicegriptyrano
Ronin

Post by NEWvicegriptyrano »

I think it would have been better if Godzilla and Junior had survived

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

NEWvicegriptyrano wrote:I think it would have been better if Godzilla and Junior had survived

Why? This takes away arguably the best thing about the film which is the impact of Godzilla's death. Not to mention the emotional impact of Junior's death and how that effects Godzilla and his fight against Destroyah.

I'm sure someone's going to chime in about how Godzilla vs. Destroyah is trash but meh, I love it.

Both deaths are arguably the most important/emotional parts of the film. Removing them leaves literally what? Not to mention Junior is resurrected at the end.

How would you have ended it? Godzilla just walks away?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

NEWvicegriptyrano wrote:I think it would have been better if Godzilla and Junior had survived
except he does, have you not seen the end of the film?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:Both deaths are arguably the most important/emotional parts of the film. Removing them leaves literally what? Not to mention Junior is resurrected at the end.
Yeah, recall that the movie's tagline was "GODZILLA DIES!" That was the entire thrust of the project. The impetus for even introducing a monster linked to the Oxygen Destroyer was to bring things full circle to the first time that Godzilla died.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's very appropriate. The first Godzilla death was achieved by the OD, and then multiple attempts were made to destroy/defeat Godzilla. They all failed, and then a monster version of the OD arrives and pushes Godzilla to his limits before he dies.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Except it kind of fails, too, because he doesn't actually cause the death, or even really contribute to it; he just incidentally shows up while Godzilla's unrelated death is already in progress. It's kind of like having the Joker (or maybe Joe Chill) show up to harass Batman and kill another Robin in a story where Batman's dying of cancer. It's kind of symbolically confused, because the full-circle element is kind of a redundant add-on to the actual death story. Like an extremely-glorified cameo.

To me, that's why the 'full circle' aspect fails. because the OD never really has anything to do with anything; remove it from the movie, and nothing changes for Godzilla or humanity except for the subplot over Junior.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Except it kind of fails, too, because he doesn't actually cause the death, or even really contribute to it; he just incidentally shows up while Godzilla's unrelated death is already in progress. It's kind of like having the Joker (or maybe Joe Chill) show up to harass Batman and kill another Robin in a story where Batman's dying of cancer. It's kind of symbolically confused, because the full-circle element is kind of a redundant add-on to the actual death story. Like an extremely-glorified cameo.

To me, that's why the 'full circle' aspect fails. because the OD never really has anything to do with anything; remove it from the movie, and nothing changes for Godzilla or humanity except for the subplot over Junior.
I totally get where you're coming from, and I've had the same thought, when my logic brain is steering. But the movie still manages to do its job, for me, by totally giving me the feels; that comes down in part to D's presence as a reminder of the series' history, and in part to the realization that this Godzilla is now beyond even the forces that killed the original, that things have reached truly apocalyptic heights.

The bigger problem, for me, is that Shinichi's idea to recreate the OD - which is probably the biggest, most compelling moment of human drama in the movie - doesn't go anywhere, because the presence of Destroyah promptly abrogates it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

NEWvicegriptyrano
Ronin

Post by NEWvicegriptyrano »

I don't think Godzilla junior would attack the city like his father. He didn't show any signs of aggression towards the humans in the entire movie.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This was also one of the Godzilla movies that I saw as a young Godzilla fan. I don't know if I saw all, most of it when growing up, but I do remember seeing it. I was amazed by it. What really amazed me was just how powerful and evil Destroyah was. That and Godzilla dying was quite sad. I was amazed that it happened and, all things considered how well done it was and how his son was resurrected as a result of that was a nice way of the movie saying "Yes, bad things will happen. But in the end, it will be OK." I just wish that Godzilla had killed, or at least mortally wounded Destroyah.

Seeing it as an adult makes me appreciate it more. And I also really love the Super X3. That thing is a beast of a warplane. I really do wish that it appears in the Godzillverse as a super-gunship.