Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by godzilla5417 »

morgoth wrote:Other than Godzilla's death scene and Junior's resurrection scene, I thought the movie was meh.
I agree besides some touching moments and cool effects,like Godzilla burning up from his heart attack-this really is a mediocre entry in the series. It's very slow paced and dull! Quite badly directed at times too, some of the dialogue is fucking cringey as HELL as well. Like that scene were two characters are talking about getting married and having kids,uggh sooooo cheesy! And that stupidly directed scene were a helicopter is landing to pick up two characters who are waiting in some rubble left over from a collapsed building, they don't even see or hear the fucking copter landing forty feet behind them! Godzilla gets knocked over at least a THOUSAND times in this movie! That gets annoying fast!
The effects are worse then the mid heisei era films. This movie is a lame ass way for The King Of The Monsters to go into retirement, it's a good thing this wasn't actually the end for him.
Now FINAL WARS that's how a KING should go out-WITH A BANG!
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

godzilla5417 wrote: Now FINAL WARS that's how a KING should go out-WITH A BANG!
Now now, just because Destoroyah is mediocre doesn't make Final Wars any better.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

After thinking about it more, and rewatching the movie, this isn't my absolute favorite Godzilla movie. It's still one of my favorites, but I'll admit it has quite a few problems, mainly to do with the humans. I disagree heavily with the idea that GFW is a better finale to the franchise than this one, seriously explain how you reached that conclusion.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I disagree heavily with the idea that GFW is a better finale to the franchise than this one, seriously explain how you reached that conclusion.
It contains Captain Gordon. This film does not. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Zarm wrote:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I disagree heavily with the idea that GFW is a better finale to the franchise than this one, seriously explain how you reached that conclusion.
It contains Captain Gordon. This film does not. ;)
Alright, you win this time :D.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

In actuality, while I like Final Wars more, I do consider vs. Destroyah to be the far-better finale. (And neither to be a particularly great movie, though both have their merits here and there).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:After thinking about it more, and rewatching the movie, this isn't my absolute favorite Godzilla movie. It's still one of my favorites, but I'll admit it has quite a few problems, mainly to do with the humans. I disagree heavily with the idea that GFW is a better finale to the franchise than this one, seriously explain how you reached that conclusion.
It's not only the human parts that have problems, it's the monster parts too! Like that scene at the beginning were Godzilla is superimposed onto stock footage of Hongkong with hundreds of people walking CASUALLY on the streets- completely indifferent to Godzilla! Or how about the actually battles between the monsters, mostly lazy and boring beam spamming. And when they do get up close and personal it's poorly shot shaky cam pov shots with monsters just bumping into each other! The worst part about this movie is that it's boring-that's the worst thing a movie can be. I'd give Destroyah a five outta ten- compared to regular movie standards.

Final Wars was is a flawed film, I'am not denying that fact. It has a lot of problems, but it's saving grace is that it is fully aware of what it's trying to do. The acting and writing is better then almost all preexisting Godzilla films because they are not taking themselves seriously, they are having fun and running with it. There are so many winks and homages to older Godzilla films and Toho scifi films. This is the most consistently paced Godzilla movie there is- uneven pacing is a huge problem in more then half the Godzilla series! Godzilla is exactly the way he should always be, the King Of The Monsters an unstoppable force of nature that no other monster even stands a chance against. This is just a really cool action movie,it's completely bonkers and full throttle BALLS to the WALLS! I love crazy weird movies that don't take themselves to seriously, and this movie falls right under that category. 6.9 outta ten regular movie standards, this is my personal favorite Godzilla movie.

I feel like this movie gets an unwarranted amount of hate from some Gfans who just out right think it's crap! It's like there's no middle ground. It has several redeemable qualitys, if you haven't seen it in a couple of years try giving it a re-watch. I've noticed several Gfans who hated Final Wars gave it another chance years later and actually find themselves enjoying it.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

godzilla5417 wrote:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:After thinking about it more, and rewatching the movie, this isn't my absolute favorite Godzilla movie. It's still one of my favorites, but I'll admit it has quite a few problems, mainly to do with the humans. I disagree heavily with the idea that GFW is a better finale to the franchise than this one, seriously explain how you reached that conclusion.
It's not only the human parts that have problems, it's the monster parts too! Like that scene at the beginning were Godzilla is superimposed onto stock footage of Hongkong with hundreds of people walking CASUALLY on the streets- completely indifferent to Godzilla! Or how about the actually battles between the monsters, mostly lazy and boring beam spamming. And when they do get up close and personal it's poorly shot shaky cam pov shots with monsters just bumping into each other! The worst part about this movie is that it's boring-that's the worst thing a movie can be. I'd give Destroyah a five outta ten- compared to regular movie standards.

Final Wars was is a flawed film, I'am not denying that fact. It has a lot of problems, but it's saving grace is that it is fully aware of what it's trying to do. The acting and writing is better then almost all preexisting Godzilla films because they are not taking themselves seriously, they are having fun and running with it. There are so many winks and homages to older Godzilla films and Toho scifi films. This is the most consistently paced Godzilla movie there is- uneven pacing is a huge problem in more then half the Godzilla series! Godzilla is exactly the way he should always be, the King Of The Monsters an unstoppable force of nature that no other monster even stands a chance against. This is just a really cool action movie,it's completely bonkers and full throttle BALLS to the WALLS! I love crazy weird movies that don't take themselves to seriously, and this movie falls right under that category. 6.9 outta ten regular movie standards, this is my personal favorite Godzilla movie.
I will admit that GvD does have quite a few flaws and does drag in places. As for the beam spam, I don't mind it as much as most people, but it does get boring after a time. I don't remember there being any of the shaky PoV shots, but that might just be a lapse in memory on my part. I realize GvD isn't for everyone, and understand completely why people would dislike it. The question of which is the better finale is totally opinion, both have their merits and flaws to them. As for GFW, I agree that it does get tons of unfair crap. I do like GFW, in the sense of it's just so ridiculous and fun.
KWCE Administrator

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I will admit that GvD does have quite a few flaws and does drag in places. As for the beam spam, I don't mind it as much as most people, but it does get boring after a time. I don't remember there being any of the shaky PoV shots, but that might just be a lapse in memory on my part. I realize GvD isn't for everyone, and understand completely why people would dislike it. The question of which is the better finale is totally opinion, both have their merits and flaws to them. As for GFW, I agree that it does get tons of unfair crap. I do like GFW, in the sense of it's just so ridiculous and fun.
I agree with you that it's a matter of opinion, I was just answering your question regarding how i came to my conclusion about Final Wars being a better finale to the series then GvD. I just wanted to give you my thought process and reasoning behind my statement. Both of these films are flawed, and neither is for everybody. It really comes down to personal preference because neither film is perfect. Out of curiosity what kind of score would you give GvD and FW?

One of the worst and most unfair insults I've seen thrown at Final Wars is saying that it's like bayformers, there not even remotely similar in any aspect.
I really don't understand why some fans harbor such an immense amount of hate for FW when there are several-objectively speaking- much worse Godzilla films that do not receive such spite from fans.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

godzilla5417 wrote: I agree with you that it's a matter of opinion, I was just answering your question regarding how i came to my conclusion about Final Wars being a better finale to the series then GvD. I just wanted to give you my thought process and reasoning behind my statement. Both of these films are flawed, and neither is for everybody. It really comes down to personal preference because neither film is perfect. Out of curiosity what kind of score would you give GvD and FW?

One of the worst and most unfair insults I've seen thrown at Final Wars is saying that it's like bayformers, there not even remotely similar in any aspect.
I really don't understand why some fans harbor such an immense amount of hate for FW when there are several-objectively speaking- much worse Godzilla films that do not receive such spite from fans.
I've never really been good with giving things a numerical score. GvD would probably get anywhere from an 8/10 to a 8.5/10 from me. GFW probably gets somewhere around a 7.5/10, though I haven't seen it in some time, it might get a higher personal rating after a rewatch.

As for the hatred GFW gets, I have no idea either. Comparing it to Bayformers is ridiculous, that sounds like it came from someone who forgot just how awful those movies are. The only thing I can think of is that it's the 50th anniversary film, and it just didn't live up to the hype of that position. But, given how this fandom seems to be, GFW could have cured cancer and aids at the same time and it wouldn't have lived up to that hype.
KWCE Administrator

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I've never really been good with giving things a numerical score. GvD would probably get anywhere from an 8/10 to a 8.5/10 from me. GFW probably gets somewhere around a 7.5/10, though I haven't seen it in some time, it might get a higher personal rating after a rewatch.

As for the hatred GFW gets, I have no idea either. Comparing it to Bayformers is ridiculous, that sounds like it came from someone who forgot just how awful those movies are. The only thing I can think of is that it's the 50th anniversary film, and it just didn't live up to the hype of that position. But, given how this fandom seems to be, GFW could have cured cancer and aids at the same time and it wouldn't have lived up to that hype.
Those scores that I gave earlier were my objective scores, although there's really no way to give a one hundred percent objective opinion, there will always be some subjectivity involved in a persons assessment of a film. FW is more my type of film, these are my subjective/personal scores -GVD 6.5 and FW 7.5.

To be honest I've never actually watched a Transformers movie, I've only seen a couple of minutes of the first one and I was not impressed, so I lost interest in watching the rest of it.

Gojira9310
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira9310 »

Hope I'm not bumping a topic that didn't get recreated in another one, what with it being over a year since the last post, but this was the first topic result concerning the movie in general when I was searching so I'll say it here anyway...

So, I had a thought recently when watching the entire Heisei Series back to back over this weekend. You know how in Godzilla vs Biollante they said that Godzilla's body temperature was too low for the Anti Nuclear Energy Bacteria to work? Well in Destoroyah, wouldn't it have been just as viable to try the ANEB again what with Goji's temperature and nuclear fission going haywire and stuff? Or is he now too hot for the ANEB to work? Would love to hear some thoughts.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That is an excellent idea. I think with the professor dead, they didn't really have the capability to create it anymore... but if they had, that might well have solved the problem and saved Godzilla.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla's immune system became invulnerable to the ANB after he sized up in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. This was a major plot point.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I was watching Godzilla Vs Destroyah once again and a thought occurred to me whilst doing so.

Why do Miki and the telepath girls dote over Little Godzilla like a puppy?

At the final stage of his growth he is capable of the same amount of destruction as his father.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Because Miki's formed a deep connection with him since his birth, and at present, he's sill an innocent?

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:I was watching Godzilla Vs Destroyah once again and a thought occurred to me whilst doing so.

At the final stage of his growth he is capable of the same amount of destruction as his father.
........did you even watch the Heisei series? Seriously.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:I was watching Godzilla Vs Destroyah once again and a thought occurred to me whilst doing so.

I've known some dangerous pit bulls. I've also known some very sweet ones.

Try to stop me from doting over a pit bull puppy. Just try.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Maritonic wrote:

Sure but he's not a baby dinosaur anymore and basically a post-office building short of being a full grown Godzilla. Capable of many destruction on Tokyo like his father.

It's like a little girl adopts a baby crocodile but by the time it grows into a full blown Saltwater Crocodile it might be time to step out of the wading pool with it. HaHa.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Sure but he's not a baby dinosaur anymore and basically a post-office building short of being a full grown Godzilla. Capable of many destruction on Tokyo like his father.

It's like a little girl adopts a baby crocodile but by the time it grows into a full blown Saltwater Crocodile it might be time to step out of the wading pool with it. HaHa.
Eabaker's pitbull analogy works so well here it's actually sad.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.