Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by UltramanGoji »

Coobzilla03 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:The 1962 Godzilla didn't exactly have a unique roar to begin with.
I'd say it did.

It was the same roar used for the majority of the Showa series. It's nothing noteworthy.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Coobzilla03 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:The 1962 Godzilla didn't exactly have a unique roar to begin with.
I'd say it did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86MO-JWTNjo

It was the same roar used for the majority of the Showa series. It's nothing noteworthy.
I guess I hear things differently, then. :?
Resized Image

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

One of my personal favorite Godzilla films!

Lots of things just work in this film in my opinion. I like Destoroyah in terms of design and concept. He looks very cool and he is easily one of the scariest looking monsters in the franchise. I also love the idea that he was created from elements similar to what made oxygen destroyer and being a creature from the PreCambrian period. That was rather creative in my opinion. I also love the plot. It's like "Godzilla is gonna destroy the world if we don't do anything, so we got to kill him like we did to the first one. With the Oxygen Destroyer." It was a neat idea and very cool. Godzilla's design is sweet and I love it. Not my favorite Heisei design, but very close. The characters are enjoyable and I actually cared for them in this film. The score is fantastic, and Godzilla Jr. Is my favorite interpretation of Godzilla's son. But yeah, I love this movie! It's great!
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It does an excellent job of making connections with the first movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Coobzilla03 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Coobzilla03 wrote:
I'd say it did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86MO-JWTNjo

I guess I hear things differently, then. :?
It was definitely a unique roar for its time regardless of how much it got used in the later films.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

A couple things..the 1962's roar is actually "unique", as it's only heard in King Kong vs. Godzilla. There's a reason its presented by itself on HOWL (the audio CD collection of monster roars) as "Godzilla (2nd Generation-1)".

Also, if '62's roar is was also Junior it was heavily altered, because they don't sound even remotely alike. Is there a source for this information?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Goji wrote:A couple things..the 1962's roar is actually "unique", as it's only heard in King Kong vs. Godzilla. There's a reason its presented by itself on HOWL (the audio CD collection of monster roars) as "Godzilla (2nd Generation-1)".
I knew it. ;)
Resized Image

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I thought Godzilla Jr's design was really cool, it would be great if they used a similar design for Godzilla Jr in an upcoming movie.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The films human plot is a mess chucked full of useless characters that have no true character arc to speak of. They are mostly there to explain what is going on to the audience.
  • Kenkichi Yamane: Young smart kid that just there to explain about burning Godzilla. He has a crush on Miki which is the only reason he joined G Force, and then has very few actual conversations with her. Wants a new Oxygen Destroyer to kill Godzilla, and then is happy Destoroyah shows up even through realistically he is a big threat then Godzilla ever was.

Dr. Kensaku Ijuin: Introduced as the Micro-Oxygen / Oxygen Destroyer expert, seems to have a thing for Yujari but pretty much just there to explain Destoroyah.

Yujari Yamane: She is there to report on things. She Introduce the audience to Dr. Ijuin, visit her aunt, get menaced by a Destroyer so she can be rescued.

Miki Saegusa: Worried about Godzilla Jr and losing her ESP. Helps lure Junior into a fight with Destoroyah.

Meru Ozawa: Just wants to be a normal girl, report what the Americans are saying. Helps lure Junior into a fight with Destoroyah.

Professor Fukazawa: Recruit Kenkichi and then stand around and look concerned.

Commander Takaki Aso: There to look worried that he can’t attack Godzilla, completely forgets about the Super X III till he is told it is launching, then explains the all new cryo weapons it has that can be useful.

Major Sho Kuroki: Fly around the Super X III, actually stop burning Godzilla in like 2 flybys the incapacity him for 6 hours. Then not show up to fight Destoryah or Godzilla again till the climax.
The humans pretty much do nothing in the movie other then explain things to the audience. They do manage to do do two things but both are pretty much on accident.
  • The Super X III manages to stop burning Godzilla from exploding. However G Force command seems to have forgotten all about the Super X III until it launches. Professor Fukazawa and Commander Aso are at G Center all worried because Godzilla is headed to a nuclear power plant and if they attack he could explode, destroying the world. Then they get news the Super X III is launching, and the Commander starts talking about all the CyroLasers and cadmium missiles.

The other is to lure Godzilla Jr into battle with Destoroyah. The plan is burning Godzilla will also show up, so Destoroyah will kill burning Godzilla. Conveniently Junior is close by Tokyo when Destoroyah is flying around. Plan doesn’t really go right as Junior is able to defeat Destoroyah long before burning Godzilla even gets to Tokyo, it takes burning Godzilla a long time to meet up with Junior, it is completely dark by the time burning Godzilla shows up. Of course Destoroyah shows up bigger and uglier, kills Junior and fights Godzilla. But Godzilla kicks his ass twice. Destoroyah is the one that gets killed, and Godzilla melts down anyway, in the middle of Tokyo irradiating everything, but Junior abosrbs it all and becomes a new Godzilla. So the Humans really ended up doing nothing, the plan was a big bust
Destoroyah is never that big of a threat.
  • He does attack fish really well.

He gets the drop on some police, but once they bring out the flame throwers and missile launchers they handle them pretty well.

The the Cyro weapons are brought in since test show cold works just as well as flamethrowers. The Destoroyah’s retreat and form a bigger version where the Cyro weapons have little to no effect.

Junior has a back and forth fight but sends Destoroyah into a building and not show up for awhile.

Finally they biggest form of Destoroyah appears wiping the floor with Junior and giving Godzilla a few bumps, but in the end Godzilla blows him apart once, and then forces Destoroyah to flee, where the Gyro weapons that have no effect earlier on the smaller version now work great against him.

Once the plot is done with him he never reappears.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That perspective... actually rings very true for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Szmigiel's post above does a great job breaking down why I find this such a limp entry.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

One thing that bugs me about this film is that Godzilla is essentially killed by excessive radiation. It's pretty ironic that the movie appears to revere the 1954 original but then communicates to the audience that Godzilla could've just been killed by nuking him repeatedly. In that sense, it's the franchise's biggest betrayal of his anti-warhead roots. The filmmakers offset this by having Godzilla's death mean the end of the world, but this is undercut by the advent of freeze rays.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

LockBite wrote:In that sense, it's the franchise's biggest betrayal of his anti-warhead roots.
I think that award goes to Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, but I can see where you're coming from. Whatever message the movie had, or could have had, in response to the original's themes gets all kinds of muddled.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Rodan wrote:
LockBite wrote:In that sense, it's the franchise's biggest betrayal of his anti-warhead roots.
I think that award goes to Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, but I can see where you're coming from. Whatever message the movie had, or could have had, in response to the original's themes gets all kinds of muddled.
See, I would disagree because 1) Dimension Tide failed to do anything and 2) that version of Godzilla was largely removed from the nuke angle. Heisei Godzilla was in the same canon as the original.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

LockBite wrote:See, I would disagree because 1) Dimension Tide failed to do anything and 2) that version of Godzilla was largely removed from the nuke angle. Heisei Godzilla was in the same canon as the original.
My issue with the Dimension Tide is that it receives rah-rah support from the human cast, and therein asks it of its audience as well, through its entire run time. It's a deadly, paradigm-shifting super weapon which, despite bringing the movie's villain into being, is never really depicted as a potential problem. It fails, sure, but it's about as close as you can get to spitting in the face of the themes of the original movie without showing the cast cheering on a nuclear bomb.

The fantastic sci-fi super weapon of the original is treated with as much fear and gravity as the real-world nuclear armaments Godzilla himself represents.

None of this is to to say I hate Megaguirus. While it's nowhere near resembling a good movie, I still find it a lot of fun. But boy oh boy is that a glaring issue. I realize that's bringing external forces to bear on the film, but I think enthusiastically depicting a super weapon is maybe the single thing a Godzilla movie should never, ever do. And it does maintain Godzilla's ties to nuclear energy as window-dressing, by the way.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The Dimension Tide and Kiryu are both world altering super weapons without that pesky radiation problem.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Are there any sources to back up the fact that Godzilla superheating the ground resulted in Destroyah exploding?
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Rodan wrote:
Or Godzilla vs Megalon......think about it. Megalon was awakened by the Seatopians to stop humans from using nukes........and Godzilla stops them.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

gzillafan17 wrote:Are there any sources to back up the fact that Godzilla superheating the ground resulted in Destroyah exploding?
Not really it appears in a lot of wiki but seems like just a fan theory to explain what happened.

One big issue with both the movie, and Destoroyah himself, is anytime you try to examine it with logic it starts to fall apart.
  • His final look is because he stole DNA from Jr. But then why didn't his Juvenile look more fish like after eating all the fish in the aquarium, or Aggregate form look more humanoid after attacking all the police and soldiers.

If the cyro lasers froze the final form so they couldn't split up. How did the Juvenile forms merger into the Aggregate while being attacked by the same weapons, then immediately transform into flying form?

Then there is the plan to lure Destoroyah into battle with Godzilla using Jr as bait. They do this luring him into Tokyo, instead of sending out the Super X to attack and then lure the Flying Destoroyah towards Godzilla, and away from the 3rd highest populated city on the planet.

Also they get the idea to have Destoroyah fight Godzilla after seeing his Aggregate form, and we know how big that is compared to Burning Godzilla
    http://imgur.com/ClcFZWp
I went into further detail about the movies many issues here
http://jokercluster.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... la-vs.html

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Other than Godzilla's death scene and Junior's resurrection scene, I thought the movie was meh.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."