Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

Post by JVM »

I wrote a really nasty, sarcastic dissection of MKG back here when I made the thread, but I'm actually quite a fan of the kaiju.
Last edited by JVM on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

Post by HayesAJones »

He's cool and all, but I'm not a fan. I never felt like Ghidorah, the King of Terror, had to be made into a mecha.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

While I like MKG more then the standard line of King ghidorahs, I felt that he just did'nt utilize his potential to the max, and his final fight with goji could have been better. It needed some brutality. MKG did attack with decent melee though. Perhaps Goji should have ended the match flooring with MKG and crushing and bludgeoning it with his tail until the center head would have exploded with a nice burst of blood and confetti.

This would make a great "what if" thread, with subject being, "what would happen if goji used the nuclear pulse on those cables,"

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

He's undeniably cool, but he has as much depth as a deluxe action figure set.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mecha King Ghidorah make a return, but there a ton of monsters who deserve to come back over this one.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

His arrival was epic, but his execution was disappointing. Still, I am quite fond of the cybernetic "King of Terror."
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Great Entrance and interesting design, but MKG is the least of the Ghidorahs in my opinion. It looks nice, but doesn't have the power or menace neccesary that the other Ghidorah's possess. I did like the machine hand, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Awesome looking and a depressingly under-utilized monster IMO. They could've done a lot more with him. Heck, they managed to make a lightly modified Mechagodzilla into a character for the following film (Showa MG, that is). Then again with the Millennium series they saw fit to make a sequel to the first MG film. A 1991 Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and 1991 Godzilla vs Mecha-King Ghidorah doesn't seem so outlandish, or at least with him included in a later film somehow. Anyhow, I'm getting OT.

Great monster. Not perfect, but he his look at least is cool.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I like this guy, but I felt like Godzilla ends the fight sooner than he beat King Ghidorah when he wasn't a mech (he didn't win, but he was the one alive at the end). The battle is about half the time and it's basically MKG getting obliterated towards the end.

I personally think that most Kaiju should get Mecha forms, but it should definitely be a gradual thing.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I still recall hearing about this back in 1992 from a friend and thinking there was no way Toho would "cut up" King Ghidorah and turn him into a cyborg... oh how wrong my childhood mind was. My first reaction was almost a slight betrayal, that King Ghidorah was a character who deserved better than this treatment. However, that was under my old, false early 1990's mentality that the Heisei series was actually connected with the Showa.

Today, I think it's a bold decision. It makes the film stand out, not feel like a rehash as many of the Millennium ideas did. It also gives the Heisei King Ghidorah an identity over his other counter parts.

I do find it interesting how weak Mecha-King Ghidorah is, though. One would assume that it would have given Godzilla more of a challenge than his normal version, but Godzilla seems to have no difficulty dealing with it and certainly less so than his first encounter with King Ghidorah in the film. I do love the way that this sets the stage for Mechagodzilla later, though.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I recall MKG made a draw between Godzilla since I remember the battle between the two ending the fight under water and there was no clear winner?
Godzilla delivers the final blow to Mecha-King Ghidorah while he is being carried out to sea. Emmy manages to escapes after they both fall in the water, but there is little doubt that Godzilla won that fight.

It's different from the more or less same ending in Godzilla vs. Mothra, where in Mothra was a-okay when she drops Godzilla into the water far below and defeats him... where as Battra was already gone by the time he struck the water, like Mecha-King Ghidorah.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I still recall hearing about this back in 1992 from a friend and thinking there was no way Toho would "cut up" King Ghidorah and turn him into a cyborg... oh how wrong my childhood mind was.
It's a pretty stupid idea on paper.
However, that was under my old, false early 1990's mentality that the Heisei series was actually connected with the Showa.
It's kind of funny how adamant people are about timeline but how often this kind of misconception cropped up back in older sources I see. Before GeoCities went down I remember a site with Monster Bios through G2K that connected all three series.
I do love the way that this sets the stage for Mechagodzilla later, though.
Best moment of continuity in the entire Heisei series.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

He's okay. I kind of think he's just a victim of the poor writing (and filming in general) of the majority of the Heisei era. It's a cool design, but I just think it's like most of the heisei films, the only good thing is the monsters, but their origins are just so poorly written.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Cool monster. As I remember back in the March/April '98 issue of G-FAN the bloke actually made second place in a ranking of Godzilla's top ten foes. With the Showa Mechagodzilla placing at Numero Uno. I always assumed some of the cyborg's vulnerbilities came from the fact that the Futrians were on a tight schedule with what they could outfit Ghidorah with, because time was passing on both ends of the timeline before Godzilla's rampage in the present really screwed up things in the future. Also maybe the fault lies with Emi, Mecha-King Ghidorah's human operator, in that she was trying to keep the Big-G to a confined space, to limit the damage the battle would inevitably cause. Thus making herself and the cyborg vulnerable to Godzilla, who has no restraint when fighting. The cyborg really got to show its destructive side in the last :( of the Random House, Marc Cerasini novels published, GODZILLA Vs. THE ROBOT MONSTERS. In which a mad dictator, Kulgan Khan, finds the remains of the King of Terror, and has scientists in his service, resurrect him in a cyborg that lives up to term, Weapon of Mass Destruction. And top it off takes on Godzilla, Mechagodzilla(Heisei), and M.O.G.E.R.A. simultainiously. Not to mention the the cyborg's operator is a teenage girl, Yisui, who through a virtual helmet, and wired in via neural links, controls the monster. But everytime she connects to Ghidorah's mind, she looses a bit of her humanity in the process. Twisted in a cool way.

I was of the thought, when I read that Toho had briefly considered the follow up to GVsKG was going to be The Return of King Ghidorah. Featuring the another King of Terror more faithful to the original coming from space. The idea started brewing that in the interim between the two films the Japanese had recovered the remains of Mech-King Ghiorah, and got the sucker in working order. When the new/original deal shows up the J.S.D.F. sends the cyborg to take it down. Which would've been on for the books. Although a nightmare for the wire works crew,trying not to get the wires tangled up. If they decided to replace the center, mecha head with a new one while taking apart, and reverse engineering the old one. I'd love for them to replace it with this one.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... _head2.htm
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Someone posted something on youtube that i'm going to quote here, more or less.

the time travelers said that a person couldn't go back to a time in which he already existed, because one of them would disappear. If true does that mean that when MKG appeared, the body of KG disappeared because MKG didn't disappear. So KG's body disappeared, which means it wasn't there to be made into a cyborg in the future...

which means he can't exist... >.<

heck with logic. Not a bad design, but not a neccisary addition to the film imo
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

At least the godzilla thing is explanable.

here i'll make something up

the body that you saw in 2204 was mecha king ghidorah after the metal had been salvaged to make mechagodzilla, apparently the JSDF left the organic body on the bottom?

well i tried
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Or maybe, because of all the replacement parts, and cybernetics on MKG, the creature doesn't register as King Ghidorah, but as another being entirely. Along with some genetic change that occured over the centuries lying underwater.
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Or we can just ignore the lack of logic.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The One and Only wrote:Or maybe, because of all the replacement parts, and cybernetics on MKG, the creature doesn't register as King Ghidorah, but as another being entirely. Along with some genetic charge that occured over the centuries lying underwater.
Its still Ghidorah though. The other two heads are still KG's and it has the same general attributes as the original.

Not a bad explanation though ._.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

I'll stick with my explanation.

or just stop thinking so much and watch the monsters make pretty explosions

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I like MKG somewhat. I think that it was a great design and MKG appeared beast until it started getting beat up by Godzilla. KG under mind control seemed to be a far stronger state of Ghhidorah's in the film. I really just wish that he was a lot stronger.