Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by CheetoKamper »

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

What are your thoughts on Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla? I believe it's a fairly entertaining movie however I feel like SpaceGodzilla could have been a lot better and also in some cases I feel that Moguera (aka M.O.G.E.R.A.) actually somewhat took away from Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

Post by HayesAJones »

It wasn't a good movie, but it was very entertaining. The few good things it gave us were a awesome Godzilla suit, SpaceGodzilla, and the score.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

HayesAJones wrote:It wasn't a good movie, but it was very entertaining. The few good things it gave us were a awesome Godzilla suit, SpaceGodzilla, and the score.
Yeah I agree completly if only the story was better I feel it could've been the best in the series if it had a good solid plotline.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Legion1979 wrote:Godzilla vs Space Godzilla's biggest failing is that by this time in the series it's easy to tell that nobody making it really cared. At this point the Godzilla movies had become huge money-makers despite whatever failings they had and the feeling that this film was put on auto pilot is incredibly hard to escape. The movie just goes through the motions, following the same basic patterns of the films that preceded it. But while the other films at least has returning classic monsters, decent monster designs and superb Ifukube scores, the cartoony appearance of the new monsters (especially Space Godzilla and Little Godzilla) and the completely out of place (though enjoyable on it's own) score stick out like a sore thumb. On top of that, the movie suffers from horrible editing, stock footage (why?), a romantic plot featuring a human character that has been in 4 previous films but has had zero development and an awful ADD approach to screenwriting. It's all the little things wrong with the Heisei series times twenty.

While people may constantly complain that Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs Megalon are awful films, at least there's a sincerity in their supposed awfulness. Honda definitely had a decent message to convey with Revenge and is still a fun film overall. All Megalon wants to be is a live action giant hero movie co-starring Godzilla. For all the money and time put into Space Godzilla there's no excuse for how it turned out. But that's what happens when you put something on cruise control, expecting it to automatically keep making you money.
Yeah the plot was just rediculous.. let's control Godzilla....Kill Godzilla....Godzilla killed my brother or friend or whatever he was the movie was just nuts. I do like the battle music however I almost wish they used it in the previous film. But at anyrate I think autopilot is the best way to describe this moie.

As far as Revenge and Megalon go I've personaly watched those 2 films alone more times than any of the other Godzilla films when I was younger they were just pure fun and now it's just nastalgia those 2 movies for me are timeless.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Legion1979 wrote:For all the money and time put into Space Godzilla there's no excuse for how it turned out. But that's what happens when you put something on cruise control, expecting it to automatically keep making you money.
There is no excuse for the story, other than the fact that Hiroshi Kashiwabara wrote it who seems to be a very bland writer (see G2K and GxM), but at least there is one for the special effects and editing... and that is that Toho's department was stretched too thin that year. In the Showa days, they may have been able to push out several high profile special effects features a year, but trying to release both SpaceGodzilla and Yamato Takeru turned out to be a mistake.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Jesse
Samurai

Post by Jesse »

I thought the film was entertaining but certainly not the epic movie I was expecting it to be. Before I saw the film, I saw a poster for it, which was this one:

Being a little kid, I was going crazy with excitement. When I saw the film though, it seemed SpaceGodzilla was so much more cartoony than terrifying. Also, Little Godzilla took a big step backwards from Baby Godzilla. While it isn't my least favorite of the series (that one is probably Mothra) it could have been much better.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Spacegodzilla is cool, MOGUERA is cool, Little Godzilla has his charm, the score is great, but everything else about it just sucks. I've never seen the mafia squished into such a tiny roll in any movie. I think what makes the plot suffer is the same thing that hurt Biollante: trying to do too much in one movie. Mind control, the mafia, or a lone man's vengeance could work for entire movies. Not the same one. It also doesn't help that this is one of the films in which Miki is the most annoying. And those ridiculous silver outfits.
bleep bloop

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Ok I love and hate GvSG, what I love is how awesome SpaceGodzilla was, I loved how MOGUERA was in it, I loved how Little Godzilla looked as well. What I hated was the story, "lets kill Godzilla! Oh wait lets invade the Mafia because they stole the psychic girl for some reason!" THis movie had a lot of faults, but it gave us one of the coolest looking monsters!
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Fairy Mothra wrote:I always find it really strange when talking about this movie (and especially about why it's so bad) no one ever mentions the completely random shot of Yuki's ass while he's taking a shower.
I'm sure a lot of us would just like to forget that completely.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

HayesAJones wrote:
Fairy Mothra wrote:I always find it really strange when talking about this movie (and especially about why it's so bad) no one ever mentions the completely random shot of Yuki's ass while he's taking a shower.
I'm sure a lot of us would just like to forget that completely.
I did forget about it, until just now, I hate you
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

I think whats worse is that the other two guys are just stareing at it. :lol:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Space-Godzilla was a Cool Monster, it could have been a lot better as a Monster an as a film.

I know i might get some negative feedback but i absolutely hate baby zilla, I hated it in ''Son of Godzilla'', all the way to ''Final Wars'' it just really seems like a sad sub-plot that really goes nowhere. I know they might be appealing to the younger audience with this but geeez i just roll my eye's every time it comes on screen.

With that aside, This film could have been Great an had potential too but at this point of the series they were just committing as little as possible to get by.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Generic Heisei Godzilla film. Cookie-Cutter plot, paper thin characters, bad special effects, pretty good score, and somewhat entertaining fight scenes. Its the fact that there are so many other films like Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla so bad. It doesn't stand out among the crowd. There's nothing special about it. Which makes this a terrible film and forgettable.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

I'll jump in to defend this one a little.

Spacegodzilla ruled, his first meeting with Godzilla is a great scene, and I like crazy Yuki. He wasn't as cool as Col. Gondo, but who could be?

The big problem with Spacegodzilla, aside from the obvious rushed production, is that there's too many ideas. People complain about that with Biollante, but that movie worked because everything revolved around G-cells and the ANEB. Here we have Yuki looking for revenge, Miki struggling with Godzilla rights, the Mafia jockeying for control, and Godzilla facing off against his space clone. As much as I like Miki, she and the mafia could've been cut, allowing the film to focus more on the bad boys in the house (Godzilla, Spacegodzilla, Yuki).

A few great scenes---Spacegodzilla's crystals piercing that space station put a huge smile on my face (such an old school monster attack scene with a futuristic edge---no pun intended), Spacegodzilla suckering in Baby Godzilla was...really sinister...really, really sinister...Godzilla raging through mainland Japan, looking for revenge...Yuki going crazy and sending the Mogera after Godzilla...the city of crystals...Godzilla getting tossed around with the telekenesis. There is some really good, entertaining stuff in this movie. Also, we get Godzilla as pretty much the undisputed good guy for the first time in twenty years.

That said, it's the least of the Heisei films, the pacing is slow, and there's quite a few groan inducing scenes. The asteroid belt scene isn't as bad as everyone says it is...for 1960. By 90s standards, it's pretty bad and, since the scene is pretty pointless anyway, I wish they had just cut it out of the movie entirely.

Also, am I alone is wishing that Mothra was Godzilla's buddy for the final battle instead of Mogera? I know they were having a Mysterians lovefest on this movie, but Mothra would've been a) cooler and b) better for the story.

So, yeah, definitely a lesser film and a huge drop in quality for the Heisei films, but it has its merits. I certainly didn't get the impression that the filmmakers "just stopped caring", at least no more than they had in the 70s. I'd definitely rank this one ahead of Revenge and Megalon, but probably not Gigan.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Completely agree with Mike here. It's easily the worst Heisei film, and probably worst in the series, second only to Godzilla Final Wars. I'd gladly take any other Heisei or Millenium films over it. And Spacegodzilla isn't the least bit interesting. Wow, a blue Godzilla with crystals on his shoulders! Terrifying!

And then of course there's the ass shot.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Well, Godzilla is somewhat terrifying, and SG is basically an eviller-looking version of him. Also, its not entirely design that maks monsters intimidating. There's the bit on personality too. Megalon doesn't have the best design out there, but he is fun to watch becuase of his personality.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

Didn't Space Godzilla have a different roar originally?
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:Didn't Space Godzilla have a different roar originally?
The theatrical trailer did have an alternate roar for SpaceGodzilla.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

Yeah, thats where I heard it from and also from the "Godzilla Wars" commercials I believe.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger