Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Re: Discussion: Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla: Best or Worst

Post by Guardian7 »

I am surprised this movie made as much as it did.
But it did have some great human elements in it.
Miki also got to do a LOT more.

The Kaiju fights were meh! But it wasn't terrible.

The fat thigh thing was getting out of control here too!

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I love this movie. The acting sucks, the story sucks as well, but I find myself loving it like people love Godzilla Vs. Gigan. My third favorite of the Heisei series
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ No you don't. Godzilla vs. Gigan is actually good movie. SpaceGodzilla is a string of disappointments with only a few small redeeming factors.

Pretty much the entire Heisei series sucks besides Biollante and the ending of Destoroyah, though I haven't seen Bio or RoG for myself.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Quality over box office, I say.
That wasn't the question, though. The question was whether it did as well as the rest of the Heisei movies. The answer is yes, and in fact it did BETTER than most of them.
Tis true.

As for quality? Not the best, not the worst.
Proud father, husband, and son.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Quality-wise? No. I think it's the worst entry in the series.
Financially? Yeah. It did very well at the box-office.

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

I was so bored watching this movie my mind wandered elsewhere, and when I finally realized I was still watching the fight between Moguera and SpaceGodzilla had begun. I didn't even care at this point and stopped watching.

I should at least give it a chance one of these days.
Playstation Network ID: Shadowbhiemes

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

Its the worst easily, no comparison to make with the other Heisei era movies.
-FINIS-

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

It is campy...and bad. If I denied it being bad, I would be stupid. But I freaking love Spacegodzilla in this movie. He's such a powerhouse...until his last moments when he sucks cactus.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

Cool idea. Bad presentation. While SpaceGodzilla is a cool kaiju, this movie sucks. The second worst of the Heisei series behind Godzilla and Mothra Battle for Earth. There isn't much to say about it. Personally, I actually like the music in this movie, but the battles are very boring. Miki is annoying as hell and it's just dull. This movie is in my bottom five of Godzilla movies I get the least enjoyment from.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Yeah the music was a definite highlight, even though the themes never stick in my mind. The characters were 2-d...straight off the screenplay and onto the camera...

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Miki's subplot in this film actually makes me laugh rather than groan. So the movie has that going for it, which is nice. Then again, Spacegodzilla himself is the embodiment of everything that is wrong in the Heisei series, so the film is a tradeoff.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

baragon123
Samurai

Post by baragon123 »

To tell the truth this is the only one in the whole series I really didn't enjoy. Its just so damned boring. I know its quite lengthy but everything in this movie just seems to drag on forever. I do like the Spacegodzilla and Mogera designs though. Other than that this flick never had anything else going for it.
Out of the grave, Death is stalking you, You can't escape, YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!-Eaten Alive by Repulsion

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

I'am perhaps one of few people who enjoy this movie. Atleast moreso then the crapfest that was the ROM movies. The kaijus are done nicely and little godzilla is one of the cutest creatures I have ever seen. The human plot was perhaps the only thing that sucked, and perhaps the asteriod scene although honestly I did'nt notice the bad special effects until you people mentioned it. I guess I was too busy enjoying space godzilla show up for the first time in this movie.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I love this movie. It's actually in my top 10. Spacegodzilla is one of my favorite creations. Like Infinity just said, Little Godzilla is amazingly cute. Godzilla was a badass. All was well. Ok the human story sucked but why the hell are you watching this for the humans? MOGUERA is great in this film, a great choice of a mech to bring back. I just don't get the hate this film gets...
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It gets the hate it gets because it's...bad. :?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Hedorah wrote:Ok the human story sucked but why the hell are you watching this for the humans?
Because without them, these movies are just rubber fetish flicks? :P
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:
Hedorah wrote:Ok the human story sucked but why the hell are you watching this for the humans?
Because without them, these movies are just rubber fetish flicks? :P
If you first think of "rubber fetish flicks" instead of "kaiju" then maybe you are watching these for the wrong reason :P
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

a movie with wasted potential is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this movie. SpaceGodzilla's design is actually pretty good, and Moguera's design is interesting.

but beyond that... what passes as a plot is muddled at best, and stupid at worst, the monster battles are flashing energy beams and repetitve sound effects (I get moguera's eye lasers stuck in my head lol) and the acting is terrible (see the plot)

the guy butt shot is something i could've lived the rest of my life without too. -_-

It did good at the box office according to wiki, though i have no idea why
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

*updated as of 10/18/2013*

Was this the only film Toho special effects film directed by Kensho Yamashita? Either way, I think it potentially needed a different script more than anything. Although not as badly paced as I seemed to have remembered, the actually story elements itself are just ones that I can "accept", from the Project T to cell(s) floating in space and eventually creating SpaceGodzilla. The Godzilla series has never been particularly light science fiction, but maybe if they had been handled better? Possibly. Other parts of the story are not explored hardly at all once presented, such as the SpaceGodzilla origin. And although it's long, the final battle is a beam competition. For a better battle watch the preceding film, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II. All three monsters could have used a slimmer suit for enhanced mobility. Regardless, there is the decent score by Ifukube. MOGUERA was also a noteworthy idea, both in being brought into the Godzilla series with a Heisei version and in that it was a smart way to follow up Mechagodzilla. From 1984 to 1993 there were various high-tech projects, the two Super Xs, Garuda, and Mechagodzilla. Leaving out something like MOGUERA would have been puzzling in the sense that they would then have no real "super mech" to use against Godzilla. Futhermore, though they primarily assist Godzilla in taking on SpaceGodzilla, it's still a tense collaboration if you will. Unfortunately, I don't think these can overcome some of the problems with the movie and it might be one of the weakest among all 28 Toho Godzilla films.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Yeah the whole origins of Spacegodzilla are weird...G-cells from Biollante went up into space into a convenient black hole...but how did Mothra fit into the whole thing...I forget?