Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by eabaker »

Well, since Destroyah provides no explanation for why Godzilla has begun to overheat, and the red beam appearing in GvsMG and DvsSG does create a visual link with GvsD, we can always do a little fan-conning and say that the overheating was the end result of a process that began with the merging with Rodan and was exacerbated by the battle with SpaceGodzilla.

I mean, ultimately, these movies are designed to function as one-offs, so most continuity concern is just fanwank, anyway. We might as well go full wank, right?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

eabaker wrote: I mean, ultimately, these movies are designed to function as one-offs, so most continuity concern is just fanwank, anyway. We might as well go full wank, right?
are they, though? they're all connected by more than just loose continuity (with the exception of the Mothra movie. that one doesn't have any elements of any movie before it involved, though it does play *potentially* right into the SG film).

each previous movie has more than enough going on to tie it right back in to at least two prior films, with the above exception.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

three wrote:
eabaker wrote: I mean, ultimately, these movies are designed to function as one-offs, so most continuity concern is just fanwank, anyway. We might as well go full wank, right?
are they, though? they're all connected by more than just loose continuity (with the exception of the Mothra movie. that one doesn't have any elements of any movie before it involved, though it does play *potentially* right into the SG film).

each previous movie has more than enough going on to tie it right back in to at least two prior films, with the above exception.
Each one has links to the prior entries, but those links aren't so significant that the movies can't be watched independently and still make perfect sense (ugh, not happy with the structure of that sentence, but syntactically it all checks out). The continuity is a narrative convenience, and works as a kind of added bonus for fans, but it's not an essential, driving force.

EDIT: I find it kind of weird that I'm arguing for fan-con. It seems at odds with my usual approach to these movies. But at least I'm arguing for nit-picky continuity by way of being dismissive of continuity... ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I always thought Godzilla super charging himself at the end of MG and SG was what cause his heart to start melting down. Absorbing that energy probably would cause something like that (if we're thinking with Godzilla universe logic, that is).
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

three wrote:

Let's remember that these are at heart Japanese media. And they have a somewhat different "continuity" tradtion than North America. Here in NA we have been handfed fairly tight continuity in genre storytelling for generations compliments of Marvel and DC and similar comics. Whereas in Japan, well Anime can be weird, no? They tend to operate more on continuity of ideas and concepts, not tight by the letter history or rules. Characters will recur but details are mushy and serve the current story. I mean I suspect that at heart the Toho "Godzilla Writers Bible" probably consists of about three pages mostly covered with SKREOONNK!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

This is probably my least favorite Godzilla movie in the series, along with GvMG2, and Destroyah, I find this too just so boring, and incredibly uninteresting.
The updated Mogras cool and all, but other than that, everything else is just bad.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

NSZ wrote:What I was trying to get at was how you can skip over this movie entirely and not miss a thing. Miki's love interest gets Brother Chuck'd, as does that one guy who goes shouting after Godzilla at the end of the movie declaring vengeance... for whatever reason (like what? Did Yuki's vengeance leave his body and possess this sap? What the hell movie?) G-Force drops the whole Mecha nonsense and the comparatively successful Super-X program is brought back, and that coagulant Yuki developed never gets brought up again (but then again, it did the impossible and managed to get dropped from its own movie :lol:).
Pretty interesting point on how much of a filler movie it is. The whole controlling-Godzilla-with-psychics thing is never attempted again, even Baby Godzilla's progression to Little Godzilla could be skipped entirely on the way to GvD. After the years between GvMGII and GvD, its growth is to be expected.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I' have to say that the final battle was one of the few things this movie did alright. I was invested into what happened there unlike the rest of the movie. If that means something.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

The most dissapointing thing about G vs. SG is how such a great villainous kaiju, which Spacegodzilla is, was wasted for a movie so dull and pointless. I don't even like the final battle that much, for it is overly long and dragging. SG most definitely deserved a better movie, his potential was never fully utilized.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

eabaker wrote:Well, since Destroyah provides no explanation for why Godzilla has begun to overheat, and the red beam appearing in GvsMG and DvsSG does create a visual link with GvsD, we can always do a little fan-conning and say that the overheating was the end result of a process that began with the merging with Rodan and was exacerbated by the battle with SpaceGodzilla.
I think the reason Godzilla began to overheat was because when Bass Island exploded, Godzilla absorbed the radiation released from the uranium deposits on the island. It gets covered in the first ten minutes of the film before never being brought up again, but they do explain it if I recall it.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

So, in other words, too much radiation and power for Godzilla to handle at the time. Makes sense if we take in consideration the Spiral Beam in the last movies of the Heisei era.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So I just re watched the film and honestly it doesn't deserve the crap it gets. Even though it starts out on a smaller scale it quickly goes crazy when Spacegodzilla arrives on earth. And for what the people complain about, the island half being slow, it's continually cut with building up Spacegodzilla and little Godzilla. On top of that it does introduce the blood coagulant and project t. While both underutilized it's interesting.

And what really bothers me is that no one brings up the finale to the film is like 40+ mins. Like the film has some of the most monster action in the series. It's got a good mix of Godzilla rampaging, Spacegodzilla rampaging, Mogera and Godzilla and Spacegodzilla fighting and a bit of human action and drama thrown in. And before you say,"BUT ITS ALL BEAMS" for the finale while it's true that Spacegodzilla uses a lot of beams the last fight is super awesome. Spacegodzilla actively gets damage done to him and both he and him get battle damage. Plus the fight does have a bunch of melee moments such as when Mougera drills into SG or when SG Impales Mougera.

And the fight wasn't just a fight with Godzilla getting a few hits in with his beam, though it is his finisher. There's actual strategy with Godzilla and Mogera working together to destroy the crystal tower in order to weaken SG. That's pretty cool.

And as for Spacegodzilla he's cool. Sure he's a Godzilla clone but like all of them he's not just another Godzilla. He's got his beam but he's also got the levitation, the crystal theme, firing his own crystals, the barrier and the energy emp pulses. And he's got a design that while is clearly derived from Godzilla is original enough to deviate.

While it's still got some problems rewatching it again has made me appreciate the film a lot more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

^I feel the same after watching it again not too long ago.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:And what really bothers me is that no one brings up the finale to the film is like 40+ mins. Like the film has some of the most monster action in the series. It's got a good mix of Godzilla rampaging, Spacegodzilla rampaging, Mogera and Godzilla and Spacegodzilla fighting and a bit of human action and drama thrown in.
The funny thing is, people complain when there is too little monster action, but seem to complain when there is this much as well. :?
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah and while people shit on Mougera he's cool too. Not only does he have the distinction of being able to fly in space but the splitting in two is cool, no other kaiju or mecha really do that.

I feel like a lot of people here have also seen the bad DVD release from SONY and that's stuck in their mind. Like I remember reading (justified) criticism of the space scene because the wires for the asteroids look really shitty. In the bluray they fixed the colors so you can't see the wires and the scene actually looks really nice. A lot of people also forget the brief scene of Mougera vs Spacegodzilla is one the only other times where there's a kaiju fight in space, the only other time being in IOTAM. Sure it's short but it's a cool novelty. I like how both Godzilla and Mougera fight Spacegodzilla a lot each throughout the movie before the final fight.

While it's still not one of my favorites it's quickly earning my appreciation more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

^I still would've preferred Mechagodzilla over Moguera in this, to be honest. Moguera is interesting in its own right, but I just would've liked to see Mechagodzilla return again to fight alongside Godzilla. It likely would have had more weight to it overall and would have displayed Spacegodzilla to be more of a threat if the U.N.G.C.C. went as far as to team up with their enemy of the last film to fight against the new common threat.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Personally I think it would've been cooler if they had Mothra come back to Earth to fight Spacegodzilla alongside Godzilla rather then having another mech. They threw together Moguera pretty quickly after Mechag was destroyed :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ Mothra, Godzilla, and a rebuilt Mechagodzilla teaming up to take down Spacegodzilla would be cooler!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You can always wish X happened instead of Y but in the end we got Godzilla and Mougera vs SG. That's cool enough and We've already seen Godzilla and Mothra team up a bunch of times. It's not something you can fault the film for. Plus Mecha G and Mothra are horribly overused, I'm glad we got Mougera instead. Sometimes I don't get why the lot of you just want to see the same monsters reused over and over.

Btw if you do want to see Godzilla and MechaG team up read Godzilla Legends issue 4. In it Godzilla and SMG team up to fight Hedorah. Then in Godzilla the Half Century War Godzilla and SMG team up to fight Spacegodzilla. And in the next issue Kiryu and Godzilla fight Gigan and King Ghidorah. So if you need that it's there.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

But in truth though that destruction sequence is pretty poor, just Godzilla in the background really as a green-screen with sparks and rubble effects for destruction as we see people just run away and it does go on for a long time making it in truth filler. so I can see why people rightfully dislike that sequence, still a thousand times better than any of GVKG's Ghidorah destruction scenes though.
Godzilla

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Speak for yourself, I always thought King Ghidorah's attack on Fukuoka was a pretty great sequence even with the 'hovering' effects.