A new Monster for the 21st century

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
miguelnuva
Justiriser

A new Monster for the 21st century

Post by miguelnuva »

I was reading the background info for Godzilla vs Destroyer and saw this tidbit.

In response to Godzilla's death, according to the London Daily Telegraph, Toho received more than 10,000 protest letters. Hiroshi Ono, a Toho spokesperson, told the Telegraph "we had to kill him. We're planning to come up with a monster better suited to the 21st century… but his death does seem to have upset a lot of people." In regards to Ono's claim of coming up with a monster better suited for the new century, it was possible he was referring to Mothra, and the upcoming Rebirth of Mothra (1996) film and sequels, as little known evidence supports that Toho seriously considered coming up with a new headlining monster.

I wonder had this quote been true to his word what Toho would have come up with and how long it would have been before Godzilla would have returned.

I imagine all the Millieum films over than GMK and Final Wars as that was the 50th anniversary film could have been done with a new monster for example.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: A new Monster for the 21st century

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Huh, this is interesting. Maybe Toho was considering for a short time to make a brand new monster and give that monster its own series like Godzilla, but decided to drop it and bring Godzilla back instead. But that's what I think.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 amI wonder had this quote been true to his word what Toho would have come up with and how long it would have been before Godzilla would have returned.
If Toho was seriously considering creating a new headlining monster, the 1990's would have been the time to do it. Kaiju films were red hot for most of that decade, although the new monster film would have had to have been very good to be successful - Yamato Takeru showed that not just anything with a giant monster would succeed.

As for when Godzilla would have returned.. probably still in 1999. G2K seems very much a product of following up both backlash and interest developed around the character following the 1998 GODZILLA.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Arbok wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 amI wonder had this quote been true to his word what Toho would have come up with and how long it would have been before Godzilla would have returned.
If Toho was seriously considering creating a new headlining monster, the 1990's would have been the time to do it. Kaiju films were red hot for most of that decade, although the new monster film would have had to have been very good to be successful - Yamato Takeru showed that not just anything with a giant monster would succeed.

As for when Godzilla would have returned.. probably still in 1999. G2K seems very much a product of following up both backlash and interest developed around the character following the 1998 GODZILLA.
I wonder if Toho could try this now. I'll always love Godzilla but I am curious on how Toho would go about if another kaiju caught fire. It wouldn't have to be as successful as Godzilla but if it was more than good enough to support its own franchise it could be intreasting.

I also wonder if they would tie it to a theme the same way as Godzilla, maybe Global warming or some kind of cyber/digital kaiju that some how appears in the real world.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

With the success of the Monsterverse and Shin Godzilla, they might try creating a new kaiju. It'd be an experiment, seeing if it could do as well as Godzilla or make a good box office. I don't think they'd start another franchise, however, unless they first found a way to wrap up Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

With the exception of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, putting a new monster in the spotlight has always proven box-office poison since the Heisei era began. What factors are keeping audiences in Japan from being more flexible and open to cool new ideas for monsters?