Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:39 am

In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Yet in the one movie he's in, he was killed by Godzilla.

Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:14 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Yet in the one movie he's in, he was killed by Godzilla.

Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?



Because most of those games were fighting games, which require their roster to be as balanced as they can. Same reason you can play as Anguirus and fight Destoroyah or Mechagodzilla on equal footing.

In the case of Super Godzilla, he was just a boss. Bosses are usually stronger than the player in games.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Yet in the one movie he's in, he was killed by Godzilla.

Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?



Because most of those games were fighting games, which require their roster to be as balanced as they can. Same reason you can play as Anguirus and fight Destoroyah or Mechagodzilla on equal footing.

In the case of Super Godzilla, he was just a boss. Bosses are usually stronger than the player in games.


But in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's OP. At least when you fight him.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:24 pm

MKG was quite powerful in the movie, he was just outclassed by the massively stronger than normal Heisei Godzilla.

There's also the perception that he's bigger and badder Ghidorah with more bells and whistles thanks to being a cyborg.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6302
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:11 pm

I’ve always wondered about this. I think a large problem is that MKG just sortve appears at the end of Godzilla vs KG, and has zero screentime except for the fight. I’ve always wondered if it’s actually significantly stronger then regular Heisei Ghidorah. The simple answer is yes, but probably not OP. The big advantage that MKG has over standard Heisei Ghidorah, is actually the grappler arm. It makes up for Ghidorah’s lack of melee abilities and gives it some versatility. I suppose the fact that it’s armed with weapons, and piloted makes it stronger as well.

In terms of why it’s OP in other mediums a lot of it is just that they’re videogames or what not. In that GBA Godzilla game, MKG was the final boss, and gigantic, most likely just because hey it’s the final boss. Additionally IIRC originally it was supposed to be biollante
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6829
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6302
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:24 pm

JAGzilla wrote:I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.

Yeah I guess you have a point. Plus a lot of other monsters, that it would be good against would probably lose against KG anyways.

I actually forgot it’s a human pilot and not just a computer. If MKG was remote controlled I would say that might be an upgrade.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:47 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.

Yeah I guess you have a point. Plus a lot of other monsters, that it would be good against would probably lose against KG anyways.

I actually forgot it’s a human pilot and not just a computer. If MKG was remote controlled I would say that might be an upgrade.


And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby edgaguirus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:21 am

Plus, that big claw would be useless against quadrupeds.

The simple answer is that video games need strong bosses, and a cyborg with multiple weapons makes a convenient one.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.


Didn't Godzilla blast it a few times during the fight? It held up until Mechaghidorah finally crapped out and crashed into the sea.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6302
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 pm

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.


Didn't Godzilla blast it a few times during the fight? It held up until Mechaghidorah finally crapped out and crashed into the sea.

Yeah I was gonna say that MKG, up until the end held his own and pretty much put Godzilla in his place. MKG weakened Godzilla to a point of carrying him out into the ocean where unfortunately MKG met his demise.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11794
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:55 pm

Because MKG is treated as stronger than KG who is treated as one of if not Godilla's strongest opponent. King Ghidorah is treated much better in games fanart etc then he has been by Toho in a while.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6829
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:18 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.


Didn't Godzilla blast it a few times during the fight? It held up until Mechaghidorah finally crapped out and crashed into the sea.

Yeah I was gonna say that MKG, up until the end held his own and pretty much put Godzilla in his place. MKG weakened Godzilla to a point of carrying him out into the ocean where unfortunately MKG met his demise.



I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but MKG definitely wasn't firmly in control of the fight until the claw and cables were deployed. Godzilla's blasting even knocked Emmy out at one point and left MKG defenseless until she recovered.

User avatar
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Postby Arbok » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?


Because of the way video games are structured. If you fight King Ghidorah as an early boss and then later fight Mecha-King Ghidorah as a boss he should be harder, as games generally progress the difficulty as you get along.

Anyway, if you want a counter example, Mecha-King Ghidorah is directly inferior to the regular Heisei series King Ghidorah in the Turbo Duo game:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/gturbo/m ... idorah.htm
If it bites... don't mess with it!


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests