1998 Tri-Star Godzilla VR Chatroom

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
VaranTheUnbelievable
Ronin

1998 Tri-Star Godzilla VR Chatroom

Post by VaranTheUnbelievable »

Does anyone remember the "chat room" that Tri-Star had for their Godzilla site back in the 1998 before the movie came out. It was a 3D world where you walked around NYC and could chat with other people. I don't recall if you could design your avatar at all or if the people were just generic, but it was supposed to be an impressive immersive experience. And Godzilla was "coming" and you'd hear his roar and such from time to time. I believe Godzilla was supposed to show up at some point, but I kinda lost track of it by the time the movie came out and eventually it was gone.

But I recall thinking at the time the concept was kinda neat, playing a human (yourself) and other people were there live too, as Godzilla was going to rampage through the city. But nothing ever happened, lol. And it was basically just a big chatroom.

I've never been able to find any pics or video of it, but I remember spending a fair amount of time in there back in the day waiting for something cool to happen and chatting with other G-Fans. Anyone else remember this?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: 1998 Tri-Star Godzilla VR Chatroom

Post by Maritonic »

This sounds pretty damn awesome and way ahead of it's time. I'd love to hear more about this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

It also sounds kind of hilarious- like, I'm just picturing a 'kaiju attack simulator' where they either never planned to, or got scrapped before the could, implement the actual attack. So it just turns into a chatroom.

Even more hilarious if it stayed like that for a few years, people kinda forgot how it started, it just becomes a thriving online chat community with avatars and a realistic city build- and then a couple years after the fact, a dedicated developer comes in and actually implements that kaiju attack, and everyone in the chatroom hat they think of as a city simulator are just blindsided and startled half to death by a giant monster rampaging through their chat city. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Probably the best source of information on the game here
http://the-american-godzilla.wikia.com/ ... _Aftermath

Sounds really cool and I wish there was some way to revive this and this other G98 game
http://the-american-godzilla.wikia.com/ ... la:_Online

Godzilla Online sounds like an awesome game.

VaranTheUnbelievable
Ronin

Post by VaranTheUnbelievable »

Ah yes, that's it. Godzilla: The Aftermath... Graphics look pretty terrible now, but weren't too bad in 98. I think you could fly too. Like your avatar could be elevated high into the air and you could fly to a different location. Or maybe that was a hack. Either way I remember doing it. Would love to find more information on it, but I'm guessing very little was saved. I'm just glad to see there's some evidence of it.

It was so strange because it definitely seemed like this elaborate thing at the time, and yet, nothing ever really happened. Like I said it was the like the fanciest and most bizarre giant chat room essentially. It was mostly just people wandering around hoping Godzilla would show up. What a strange thing.

I remember visiting it once after the May 20th release date or whatever and there was still no Godzilla. And I asked people if anyone had been in there during the time he was supposed to "arrive" and people were just like yeah, nothing happened lol.