Fixing Godzilla 1998

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Fixing Godzilla 1998

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:If I had time-travel tech, I’d just go back and time and get the Debont film to be made instead.
I wouldn't, Debont's Godzilla would have likely earased the last two Heisei films, the entire mellimium series and the Monsterverse.
SpaceGodzilla was always going to happen, or at least a Toho Godzilla would have been released in 1994. It’s harder to say about Destoroyah, since de Bont wanted to begin shooting his film in 1995. It depends on the terms of the contract (which is available on Wikileaks) but I’m not so much a nerd that I’m intimately familiar with all that legalese.
LegendZilla wrote: Why would you or anyone for that matter give a damn if the Millenium series, Monsterverse, or Shin get erased? So long if Debont's film actually turned out good.
GMK and Shin are better than the Rossio/Elliott script.
LegendZilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I'd rather the Millennium Series, Monsterverse, and Shin over one maybe good film from 96.
You people neglect to think about what other good things could come out of such a timeline.
And you’re ignoring all the potential bad things. It’s a what-if scenario, there’s no right or wrong answer. I don’t know why you’re bent out of shape over other people’s opinions in this matter.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Why would you or anyone for that matter give a damn if the Millenium series, Monsterverse, or Shin get erased?
As someone who considers Godzilla 200 and GMK his favorite Godzilla films, yes, i would care and that's why i'm glad De Bont's script wasn't made. Thanks for not taking other people's opinions into consideration in this matter.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Sure, easy to see what we have and say "Oh well, we're in the best timeline"

But imagine a world where the 98 film used the 94 script(as opposed to some hypothetical "perfect version" we don't know about).....nobody in their right might would argue that the 94 script isn't miles and miles ahead of the 98 film.

So....all other things being equal. Release date, budget, production value, marketing resources, etc etc.....

If you had ALL of that marketing hype piled onto the 98 film, and what audiences got when they saw the film was the 94 script(assuming all of the usual revisions/smoothing out that happens across pre-production, production, and post-production)....it might have been huge.

It might have been huge enough to launch the monster resurgence that almost happened in the late 90s anyway, like with Mighty Joe Young, and the Peter Jackson King Kong film planned for back THEN.

The superhero genre may have never taken over with X-Men and Spider-Man because of the Monster Boom. Maybe Lord of the Rings doesn't happen.

But we might have gotten a trilogy of fantastic US-produced Godzilla films, who knows how many other big reboots of classic monsters. A Gamera US production might already be a reality in that timeline. Beyond that, Godzilla: The Animated Series would have been a spin-off of THAT 94 version of the movie.

So it would be spinning out of a much more successful film, and been poised to be an even better series because of it. It might have been a hit. Instead of being killed by the likes of Pokemon and Digimon, it might have been the reversal. Giant monster cartoons triumphing over Japanese imports.

That could have hugely influenced the landscape of animation and a much larger piece of pop culture towards more of an affinity for giant monsters. Who knows what original or rebooted works we might have gotten out of that that could easily crush our previous G2K, GMK, or Shin in quality.

Yes, very easy to appreciate what we have...but G98 is such a focal point in the timeline...what we could have gotten if everything had gone right vs how everything went(mostly wrong) is a dramatic difference.

It isn't the SAME thing....but imagine if Star Wars or Jurassic Park arrived and hugely missed the mark and not made an impact or changed direction of anything....we would be in a dramatically different cinema timeline.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"might"

There's that argument boiled down to a single word. There's no way of knowing.

Emmerich's Godzilla sucks but I wouldn't trade it for the Rossio/Elliott version on the basis that you're effectively erasing or fundamentally changing twenty+ years of genre filmmaking. We may not have gotten the best Godzilla movies since 1995 in our reality but there's no guarantee that any of the fantastic scenarios you laid out would have occurred. For all we know, the Rossio/Elliott script-turned-film might have flopped as hard or harder than the one we got.

I'll take the known over the unknown, thank you.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote:Sure, easy to see what we have and say "Oh well, we're in the best timeline"

But imagine a world where the 98 film used the 94 script(as opposed to some hypothetical "perfect version" we don't know about).....nobody in their right might would argue that the 94 script isn't miles and miles ahead of the 98 film.

So....all other things being equal. Release date, budget, production value, marketing resources, etc etc.....

If you had ALL of that marketing hype piled onto the 98 film, and what audiences got when they saw the film was the 94 script(assuming all of the usual revisions/smoothing out that happens across pre-production, production, and post-production)....it might have been huge.

It might have been huge enough to launch the monster resurgence that almost happened in the late 90s anyway, like with Mighty Joe Young, and the Peter Jackson King Kong film planned for back THEN.

The superhero genre may have never taken over with X-Men and Spider-Man because of the Monster Boom. Maybe Lord of the Rings doesn't happen.

But we might have gotten a trilogy of fantastic US-produced Godzilla films, who knows how many other big reboots of classic monsters. A Gamera US production might already be a reality in that timeline. Beyond that, Godzilla: The Animated Series would have been a spin-off of THAT 94 version of the movie.

So it would be spinning out of a much more successful film, and been poised to be an even better series because of it. It might have been a hit. Instead of being killed by the likes of Pokemon and Digimon, it might have been the reversal. Giant monster cartoons triumphing over Japanese imports.

That could have hugely influenced the landscape of animation and a much larger piece of pop culture towards more of an affinity for giant monsters. Who knows what original or rebooted works we might have gotten out of that that could easily crush our previous G2K, GMK, or Shin in quality.

Yes, very easy to appreciate what we have...but G98 is such a focal point in the timeline...what we could have gotten if everything had gone right vs how everything went(mostly wrong) is a dramatic difference.

It isn't the SAME thing....but imagine if Star Wars or Jurassic Park arrived and hugely missed the mark and not made an impact or changed direction of anything....we would be in a dramatically different cinema timeline.
While a boom in the monster genre sounds like a possibility, I think it would've still faced competition with the superhero genre and ultimately lost in the early 2000's.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:"might"

There's that argument boiled down to a single word. There's no way of knowing.

Emmerich's Godzilla sucks but I wouldn't trade it for the Rossio/Elliott version on the basis that you're effectively erasing or fundamentally changing twenty+ years of genre filmmaking. We may not have gotten the best Godzilla movies since 1995 in our reality but there's no guarantee that any of the fantastic scenarios you laid out would have occurred. For all we know, the Rossio/Elliott script-turned-film might have flopped as hard or harder than the one we got.

I'll take the known over the unknown, thank you.
Between Shin, GMK and Kotm I think the fandom have all gotten at least one really good Godzilla film since 95. That's also not counting people that really like G14, Godzilla 2000 or FW ect.

Way too many films to sacrifice for the Rossio/Elliott version(Unless their is a timeline where it leads into the same result) which I doubt it does.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

It could have also led to even MORE great movies. 2-3 Shin Godzilla's, 2-3 Godzilla 2000s or GMKs

I mean, yeah, it is a wager...every year we don't know what 'string of potentially amazing movies' we might be losing....but in 1998, it definitely should NOT have been the Emmerich film that audiences were treated to at that time.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chrispy_G wrote:but in 1998, it definitely should NOT have been the Emmerich film that audiences were treated to at that time.
You're right, but the franchise survived and has arguably thrived since then. I just don't think it's necessary to go back and remove all that's been done since then just to fix one error that's already been mostly resolved. /my two cents
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Honestly, I would just take out some humor probably. The rest of the film is a fun monster movie I can easily rewatch.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote:GMK and Shin are better than the Rossio/Elliott script.
What issues do you have with the Rossio/Elliot script?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:
Off the top of my head, the trite, cliched mother-daughter relationship that serves as the emotional anchor. And the comic relief character whose catchphrase is “weird shit”, or whatever. When I read the script once upon a time I felt that all the characters were 90s blockbuster cliches, just a really boring, uninspired array of characters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Off the top of my head, the trite, cliched mother-daughter relationship that serves as the emotional anchor. And the comic relief character whose catchphrase is “weird poop”, or whatever. When I read the script once upon a time I felt that all the characters were 90s blockbuster cliches, just a really boring, uninspired array of characters.
How is it any worse than what we got?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:How is it any worse than what we got?
...I never said it was.
I wrote:GMK and Shin are better than the Rossio/Elliott script.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

One thing that's always bothered me, Devlin and Emmerich love big over the top destruction sequences. So why does their version of Godzilla, a franchise known for such things, feature so little of it. Action wise its pretty reserved as far as D&E projects go.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I wouldn't change it tbh.

It has a very enjoyable human story and crew. And an enjoyable monster. We eventually got a more accurate Godzilla later anyway.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I wouldn't change it either. Some of the movies that came after are some of my favorite in the whole series. I wouldn't want them to not exist.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

DirektorSplennic wrote:I wouldn't change it either. Some of the movies that came after are some of my favorite in the whole series. I wouldn't want them to not exist.
Yeah. I loved some of the ones after.

And tbh, I love Godzilla 98. I liked that he was a different. Used to talk with my cousins about who we think would win in a fight: The Japanese Godzilla or American Godzilla.

I loved seeing it in theaters as a kid with my father. A kid at my school had the backpack. I had tons of the toys. Loved watching the cartoon and the movie on syndication. I think Matthew Broadrick was a very gentle and likable character. I don't think we've had nearly as good and well rounded characters as him in the monsterverse and even many of the Toho installments.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I wouldn't change it either. Some of the movies that came after are some of my favorite in the whole series. I wouldn't want them to not exist.

And tbh, I love Godzilla 98. I liked that he was a different. Used to talk with my cousins about who we think would win in a fight: The Japanese Godzilla or American Godzilla.

I loved seeing it in theaters as a kid with my father. A kid at my school had the backpack. I had tons of the toys. Loved watching the cartoon and the movie on syndication. I think Matthew Broadrick was a very gentle and likable character. I don't think we've had nearly as good and well rounded characters as him in the monsterverse and even many of the Toho installments.
I wish I saw your version of G98.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

miguelnuva wrote:

Did you not see it when you were young?

I remember it through rose colored glasses. And still enjoy it on rewatch.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

miguelnuva wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Yeah. I loved some of the ones after.

Did you not see it when you were young?

I remember it through rose colored glasses. And still enjoy it on rewatch.
I did, I know something was wrong with the movie back then at 6 years old opening weekend. Nick is a nice leader but better than many of the Toho I leads I would say no.

I'd argue Mark was better than Nick as a lead but that's here nor there.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image