Which film/project would you've prefered as the finale of the Heisei series and why?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Which would you prefer as the finale of the Heisei series?

SpaceGodzilla's Counterattack
No votes
Godzilla vs. Varan
13%
Godzilla vs. Godzilla (Alternate Draft)
3%
Godzilla vs. GhostGodzilla
20%
Godzilla vs. Godzilla (Story Plan A)
3%
Godzilla vs. Baraguirus
No votes
Godzilla vs. Bagan
No votes
Godzilla vs. Junior Godzilla
No votes
Godzilla vs. Deep-Sea Life
No votes
Godzilla vs. Biomonster
No votes
Godzilla vs. Super-Nuked Godzilla
3%
Godzilla vs. Barubaroi
18%
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (The final product)
30%
Other
13%

Total votes: 40

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Which film/project would you've prefered as the finale of the Heisei series and why?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Considering the vast amount of ideas and concepts the people at Toho have pitched and proposed for the last installment of the Heisei Godzilla series, and the views and opinions on them from people here on the forum site, I'd thought I'd make a poll for people to vote for what they would've liked for the finale if they didn't like the final version that is Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Me personally, I don't mind it, though it would've cool and interesting to see what if any of the other ideas were greenlit instead; the Varan and Ghostgodzilla concepts stuck out to me mostly.

Please feel free to submit your vote and express your reasons why in the comments below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Which film/project would you've prefered as the finale of the Heisei series and why?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Besides the various Ghost Godzilla concepts, none of the other ideas were fleshed out enough to really say whether they were worthy of being the final chapter or not.

Personally I think Destoroyah was the best concept they came up with.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Which film/project would you've prefered as the finale of the Heisei series and why?

Post by Zarm »

Ghostgodzilla feels the most interesting and appropriate to me. Destroyah always felt to be far too abstractly-connected to the Oxygen Destroyer to have the intended 'it's cone full circle' feel, for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Ghostgodzilla feels the most interesting and appropriate to me. Destroyah always felt to be far too abstractly-connected to the Oxygen Destroyer to have the intended 'it's cone full circle' feel, for me.
It's always bothered me that they introduce the idea of recreating the OD, but rather than have Destroyah arise as a consequence of that decision, he just shows up at that point coincidentally, as a long-delayed result of the original OD. It robs the characters of any responsibility for their predicament.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

eabaker wrote:It's always bothered me that they introduce the idea of recreating the OD, but rather than have Destroyah arise as a consequence of that decision, he just shows up at that point coincidentally, as a long-delayed result of the original OD. It robs the characters of any responsibility for their predicament.
It was something carried over from the earlier draft, vs. Barubaroi. The writer originally intended to make it so the OD was potentially recreated but never used, as he felt that would undermine its use in the 1954 film. But as Toho (specifically Kawakita) would pass this script around to others for revisions, I guess the true significance of this was lost somewhere along the way.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Ghostgodzilla feels the most interesting and appropriate to me. Destroyah always felt to be far too abstractly-connected to the Oxygen Destroyer to have the intended 'it's cone full circle' feel, for me.
It's always bothered me that they introduce the idea of recreating the OD, but rather than have Destroyah arise as a consequence of that decision, he just shows up at that point coincidentally, as a long-delayed result of the original OD. It robs the characters of any responsibility for their predicament.
Well, Dr. Ijuin was working on the Oxygen Destroyer, and the microorganisms that became Destoroyah did escape from his lab, but it is a little fuzzy whether the former was a necessary precursor to the later; he might have taken the sediment samples to study anyway.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I always felt Mechagodzilla could be a nice alternate end for the Heisei era, with Godzilla and Baby wading off to sea peacefully.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Godzilla vs Destroyah works fine, I just would’ve upped the monster count, and changed how Destroyah was disposed of.

I know upping a monster count doesn’t make a good film, but if it’s a finale of the series there should’ve been a little more OOMPH. A monster or Mech from the past films, like Moguera/MG+Mothra is another additional Kaiju would’ve added to the finality. Both Mothra and the mechs played a gigantic role in the series, and even if they just assisted or jobbed to Destroyah it would’ve made for tying everything together much nicer. Im not even saying the film has to be dramatically altered, just replace Super X with MG and outfit it with freezer weapons.

The Heisei’s weakest thing for me was never really having big brawls. Many of the latter showa series entries, were intent on having big over the top fights with monsters beyond Godzilla and his foe of the movie.

Just to be clear, I understand why certain choices were made to make the focus on Godzilla, Jr and Destroyah, but since all the monsters I noted are already established, it would’ve been easier to throw them in.

In a sort of similar regard, I wish Mikki was more important to the film. Why the hell they downplayed her psychic powers is beyond me. The Heisei series has TONS of actually well established “plot lines” like Mecha, Mothra, the Psychics, Godzilla’s cells/origin, and Junior and other than Junior many of them don’t have a payoff in the finale.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Godzilla vs Destroyah works fine, I just would’ve upped the monster count, and changed how Destroyah was disposed of.

I know upping a monster count doesn’t make a good film, but if it’s a finale of the series there should’ve been a little more OOMPH. A monster or Mech from the past films, like Moguera/MG+Mothra is another additional Kaiju would’ve added to the finality. Both Mothra and the mechs played a gigantic role in the series, and even if they just assisted or jobbed to Destroyah it would’ve made for tying everything together much nicer. Im not even saying the film has to be dramatically altered, just replace Super X with MG and outfit it with freezer weapons.

The Heisei’s weakest thing for me was never really having big brawls. Many of the latter showa series entries, were intent on having big over the top fights with monsters beyond Godzilla and his foe of the movie.

Just to be clear, I understand why certain choices were made to make the focus on Godzilla, Jr and Destroyah, but since all the monsters I noted are already established, it would’ve been easier to throw them in.

In a sort of similar regard, I wish Mikki was more important to the film. Why the hell they downplayed her psychic powers is beyond me. The Heisei series has TONS of actually well established “plot lines” like Mecha, Mothra, the Psychics, Godzilla’s cells/origin, and Junior and other than Junior many of them don’t have a payoff in the finale.
It is sort of weird that Destoryah is ultimately disposed of by the military - he’s portrayed as like the ultimate big boss of the series, and none of the previous kaiju were able to be killed by the military. I guess maybe Godzilla left him sufficiently weakened? Like a giant, satanic jar of pickles.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^The Super X-3 killed Destoroyah because Destoroyah was vulnerable to extreme cold. And given the Super X line's effectiveness against Godzilla in past, it really shouldn't be surprising that one of them could take down Destoroyah.

Originally he was going to die as Godzilla reached meltdown, but the ending was changed to keep the final scene focused on Godzilla himself.
Resized Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I always wonder what COULD have been with Ghost Godzilla, I'm not going to lie. But I'm perfectly content with Destoroyah.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojira311999
Ronin

Post by Gojira311999 »

Godzilla vs. Ghost Godzilla would be great. Think of GMK with that incarnation of Gojira, but instead it is the original Gojira revived back to life. It comes ashore and is growing back its flesh and regaining powers in the process. Two metaphorical threats face off: a Gojira that represents Japan's fear of involvement in war and one that is symbolic of fear of war and the hydrogen bombs.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ivo-goji wrote:^The Super X-3 killed Destoroyah because Destoroyah was vulnerable to extreme cold. And given the Super X line's effectiveness against Godzilla in past, it really shouldn't be surprising that one of them could take down Destoroyah.
Yeah that’s obvious, I got WHY it happened, but it was super anti-climactic. Sure each Super X has been effective against Godzilla, but they’re still small little battleships. I got the impression that the instant Mechagodzilla was made, the Super X’s were abandoned, and part of technology was put into it. It’s just weird to suddenly bring back the Super X considering Moguera and MG are technologically superior.

I’m just saying they should’ve brought back a mech, or monster in place of Super X3, so the Heisei series has a bigger final brawl, even if MG or something winds up being sorta fodder. Imagine Super X3 was replaced by the flying Moguera mech, outfitted with freezing weapons, who fights flying Destroyah, before Destroyah fights junior. Then during the climax, Moguera can help out, and even freeze Destroyah and Godzilla in the climax.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

To me, adding another monster/mech feels like it would pull attention away from Godzilla himself. I appreciate that the final movie of the series isn't too crowded.

I guess, for me, the Heisei series at its best is very much represented by its first three entries, so I like the Destoroyah has more of their tone and their focus on the relationship between Godzilla and Japan.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It’s just weird to suddenly bring back the Super X considering Moguera and MG are technologically superior.
Japan somehow pulling a third giant robot out of thin air would have been down right cartoonish at that point. The Super X series was considerably more grounded and, in my view, more representative of the Heisei series. Rehashing yet another Showa era kaiju like Mechagodzilla or Moguera would have been rather inappropriate for the Heisei's series finale.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Only thing I would changed about Destoryah is brining Mothra and Biollante back and then making Jr and adult.

Destroyah killing off Biollante and Mothra dies up loose ends and shows us how dangerous he is. Later requiring to adult Godzillas to finally bring the beast down. Jr would would still die closer to the end of the fight and be revived by Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah is fine as it is, but if i had to pick something else, i'd have to go with Barubaroi. The grotesque design of the titular monster and imagining it fighting Godzilla is really cool and i hope the idea is reused for a future G Film.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Godzilla vs Destroyah works fine, I just would’ve upped the monster count, and changed how Destroyah was disposed of.

It is sort of weird that Destoryah is ultimately disposed of by the military - he’s portrayed as like the ultimate big boss of the series, and none of the previous kaiju were able to be killed by the military. I guess maybe Godzilla left him sufficiently weakened? Like a giant, satanic jar of pickles.
It was the combination of the military's freezer weapons AND the extreme radiation from Godzilla's meltdown that did him in. Both were needed to bring him down, and only after pelting him with 9 red spiral rays, which is more than any other kaiju was able to survive. It was also so the ending could be focused on Godzilla's death (the original ending had him take down Destoroyah as he was melting down).

But the finale (Godzilla vs. Destoroyah) is fine as it is. No need for any more or a different kaiju.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I voted for Godzilla vs. GhostGodzilla, but I would've put that film before Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Varan. I think it would've been nice to have a happy ending to the Heisei Era.
For Emperor and Empire!